[WIP] CxAerospace: Stations Parts Pack v1.0 - Head Over to Add-On Release

cxg2827

I used the DDS2KSP tool to batch convert the textures to DSS, but I was surprised to see the dramatic increase in the file size. The current pack jumped from 12MB to 82MB. so for now i just changed the smaller textures to DDS (all but 3)

From what I have seen, anything that is greater than 1024x1024 seems to get bloated in size. It almost makes it seem that it would be better to not use any common texture, and have every part have its own dedicated texture. Though I know people have tested out that using a larger texture atlas give the best in-game benefits.

Yes, DDS textures have larger file sizes than their PNG counterparts.

My understanding, however, is that with PNG textures, Unity will internally convert them to DDS anyway, resulting in a similar increase in effective filesize / memory usage, plus some overheads. Fully migrating your textures over to DDS will render the internal conversion step (and the associated overheads) unnecessary, resulting in faster load times and also non-trivial memory savings.

Are the docking ports supposed to be so sensitive? I just had a set explode on capture. (Moving at .01 m/s!)

I have the crash tolerance set to 10, just like the stock docking ports. Haven't had any explosions during the testing I've done. I've gone in at 0.4m/s without issues.

I can increase the tolerance to 15 for them to see if it'll help for the next release.

Could you make a hub module like Unity IRL? I think a 1 Kerbal capacity would be good.

Sure. I actually made a Unity style texture a few weeks back so part of the work is already completed.

New download. No IVA for the GymHab since I am slowly working on optimizing the existing IVA and prop textures before I move on to the next IVA.

Changes:

v0.04
-New folder structure. Delete the CxAerospace folder prior to dropping in this version.
-Remaining textures converted to DDS.
-Common Berthing Mechanism (Active/Passive) colliders modified.
-Common Berthing Mechanism (Active/Passive) crash tolerance changed from 10 to 15.
-Added Part
--GymHab Module: Crew capacity 2, no IVA yet.

i really enjoy this mod! had a couple quick questions:

1) what are the common berthing mechanisms exactly? docking ports?

2) what is the difference between active and passive?

3) do they work with the stock docking ports? (i tried to connect them in orbit but they wouldn't have it)

i looked through the other pages but couldn't find the answer, so hope this hasn't been asked already. cheers!

i really enjoy this mod! had a couple quick questions:

1) what are the common berthing mechanisms exactly? docking ports?

2) what is the difference between active and passive?

3) do they work with the stock docking ports? (i tried to connect them in orbit but they wouldn't have it)

i looked through the other pages but couldn't find the answer, so hope this hasn't been asked already. cheers!

1) the Common Berthing Mechanism is the larger docking port used to connect the US modules on the international space station, so yes they are docking ports.

2) Real life docking ports originally had 'male' and 'female' variants, where the male had a probe that it uses to hook onto the female port like, well, you know. A Common Berthing Mechanism can change between active/male (technically not male because these don't use probes) or passive/female, which means that any CBM port is in theory compatible with any other, and is done by rotating the petals you see coming off the port.

The CBMs in this mod can't switch, so what it means functionally is that they're like soyuz docking ports; active ports are only compatible with passive ports, and vice versa. So if you're using the CBMs from these, then one docking ship needs the passive port and the other ship needs the active port. Generally the ship you are docking to ​uses passive.

3) No idea on this one but if they didn't work for you I'm assuming they don't work with stock ports at all.

Just to expand on what FlyMeToMinmus wrote,

1) Larger format docking port styled similarly to the ACBM and PCBMs on the non-russian ISS modules.

2) There is no restriction to docking a passive with a passive, or active with active. Its up to the users to decide if they want to set a rule for themselves to only dock active with passive docking ports. I modeled both for variety and to implement that rule for my career mode.

3) They do not work with stock docking ports. They have a larger diameter mating surface, and use a different node size. They do however work with the Fustek 1.25M IACBMs.

The PMA can dock with the stock docking ports. Just attach an IACBM on the larger end and dock it to your station. Then you can move it around as the station gets reconfigured.

Since this pack doesn't have any flags yet, I opened up GIMP and created some. I'm quite proud of them to be honest. :D

Nicely done :). I started on one a month back, but put it on the back burner.

the Unity-style hub is starting to come along.

Fu3yKJt.png

Any interest in either trunnion pins to be added as meshes to the station modules, or made as a separate part so you can add them to modules as you see fit?

Kibo_ELM-PS_module_in_April_2007.jpg

Also, I'm adding a poll to to see what type of configuration people would like for the larger capacity sleeping module.

Reference the picture below for clarification:

Option 1 - Capacity (4), Hatches (Front, Back, Top, Both Sides)

Option 2 - Capacity (6), Hatches (Front, Back, Top)

Option 3 - Capacity (6) Hatches (Top, Both Sides)

ws3ZsEo.png

Oh, I forgot to mention, You are free to include the flags I made with this pack and use it on the OP, just give credit! :D Also, can you make the fitness module have compatibility with KeepFit? Don't make it buff you up too fast, like barely counteracting the deterioration from microgravity.

Oh, I forgot to mention, You are free to include the flags I made with this pack and use it on the OP, just give credit! :D Also, can you make the fitness module have compatibility with KeepFit? Don't make it buff you up too fast, like barely counteracting the deterioration from microgravity.

cool, thanks!

For KeepFit, I'll add compatability to the modules. I was thinking for the sleeping ones I'd set it to have strActivityLevel = COMFY, and the fitness module to have strActivityLevel = Exercising.

Don't make it buff you up too fast, like barely counteracting the deterioration from microgravity.

So you suggesting making the fitness module have strActivityLevel = NEUTRAL then? Not sure if there is a way to tweak the values besides the (4) states that are listed in the first post of the KeepFit thread.

Need some opinion on reducing the textures for the IVAs.

The album below shows the full resolution, then reduced x3/4 and x1/2. currently I have the pixel density of the parts to have 1000pix for 1 linear meter (1,000,000 pix/m^2). I'm thinking the x3/4 compression with 750pix for 1 linear meter (562,500pix/m^2) would be best to maintain details on the panel attachment hex bolts. But, if I compress by x1/2 (250,000pix/m^2), then it gets a bit too lossy, though all the other details seem to hold up ok. I could always remove the hex bolts, and replace it with a simple circular dimple at the same spots.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

New download. Node 1 IVA is going to be easy s I got it started and included as a WIP

Changes:

v0.05
-Common Berthing Mechanism (Active/Passive) textures received minor updates.
-Bunk prop texture compressed to 1024x1024
-MM configs added for KeepFit compatibility
-Added Part
--Node 1 Module: Crew capacity 1, WIP IVA.

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying them.

I'm trying to find a happy medium with the texture quality of the IVAs prior to moving on with the others, so that it makes less work for me down the road.

With that being said, the sooner I get some feedback from people about the pixel density of the current NapHAb IVA (post #66), the sooner I'll be getting to other ones :). Otherwise I can add another download link with the IVA texture compressed and people can check it out in-game rather than base it off the screengrabs I took.

Here is replacement DDS files for the IVA and the hatch for lower resolution. Just drop into the KSP folder, and overwrite the (4) files when prompted.

Let me get some feedback if the details are starting to get a bit lossy. Or I can change they hex bolts out to be philips screw heads, which might look better at that compression level.

IVA Texture Test (x0.5 compression)