missing parts, contracts

ive had this game for 4 days and its been nothing but trouble. the game seems to have bug after bug after bug. ive spent nearly every minute of game time i have just trying to find fixes for a game that should be in order when i pay 30 dollars for it! eg: in career mode, the hangars lockdown and jebediah disappeared from the crew list. i spent hours upon hours sifting through user created help to find the fix. 30 dollars for this crap.

in sandbox mode, i was trying to build a space station part for part according to a scott manley video. but i dont have the same parts. hes using a medium inline reaction wheel, but all i have is a small one and it fits nothing so far. where is the medium wheel?

next: even though it shows ive met all the requirements for testing the LV-T45 engine, it still will not give me the completion. and the game doesnt even try to give any hints at all.

i hate to have my very first post be so aggravated, but geez, i shouldnt have to spend all my game time trying to fix a game that should be ready to go when i spend cash on it.

any help would be great. thanks

I have never had a kerbonaut disappear. Did he die, maybe, and was in the "lost" tab?

The game is in development (Until tomorrow). One of the changes that happened in development was that the reaction wheels have changed. You were likely watching a video from before 0.90. Scott had no way of knowing that the game was going to change. However, there is a medium reaction wheel. It's in the control tab. You should have 3 of them.

I agree that the game needs to be a bit less obscure about how to play it. If you right click the engine, you may see a "run test" option. Click it. If not, you need to stage the engine to test it. It does say in the contract which they want, but it's not really highlighted.

I'm sorry to say you were misled, but not by Squad. They put all over the place that their game is in development and may have bugs.

Until tomorrow when 1.0 comes out.

Well, while 0.90 is bugged (reportedly, 1.0 which is out tomorrow solves hundreds of bugs) you're probably doing some things wrong.

I don't know what you mean by hangars lockdown

If jeb isn't in the crew list, he's likely piloting some ship somewhere. If you go to the Astronaut Complex and look for him in the assigned tab, you'll find him. Alternatively, you can also find astronauts in the "lost" (aka, KIA) tab

Maybe Scott Manley was using a mod. There are 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 meters reaction wheels in the game, you'll find them in the control tab in the VAB

To test a part you need to either activate it through the staging sequence or by right clicking on it and choosing "run test". For engines, that's usually through the staging sequence. Which means if you activate the engine with the space bar to take off and you have to test it at 1,000 meters, you'll need to rearrange the stages to "reactivate" it that way - or alternatively, if you need to fire it up before the test, either right click on it or use action groups instead of staging

I get that you are agrravated and I understand why, however you can't expect to get a finished product when buying a game that explicitly states that it is still in Beta. That is a big problem with early access, people pay for it, so they expect a finished game, however it is EARLY ACCESS which means there are going to be bugs.

My reccomendation is to wait until the official release of version 1.0.

Also as the 5thHorseman and juanml8 have stated many parts have changed (models as well as names and locations in the editor) since this game is still in early access and many things needed to be rebalanced etc. Many of scott manley's videos are way way out of date, sadly, as he is the only person I know with a proper series of tutorials.

The test part contracts are a pain, all I can say is read the contact very carefully, if it says that you have to "activate the part through the staging sequence when all conditions are met" then that is exactly what you have to do. If you use the engine which you are supposed to test to get to the target altitude, then you will have to rearrange your staging (icons on the left side) so that you can activate by pressing spacebar.

Also, don't be frustrated if at first you fail (miserably) xD It took me about 2 weeks to get to orbit at first using a 300 ton behemoth made purely of solid rockets xD now it takes me only about 20 minutes to precisely rendevous and dock with my 670 ton spacestation.

This game has just about the steepest learning curve ever (apart from "I wanna be the guy").

...the game seems to have bug after bug after bug...

No offense but as often within IT, most bugs are somewhere between the keybord and the chair!

I dont have noticed real "bug" in stock game after hundreds of hour (while you start a new after an upgrade, we are there talking about the 0.90).

About your contract issue,

you have to match the requirements (they are showed even in flight on the contract board)

and to test the related part at this time (by activate them through staging, some parts have also a "test" option in their contextual menu).

That said if you really think facing a bug, attach your savegame in your post so people can check what's happend.

Keep going, KSP is really a great experience.

thanks for the help. i understand it was in beta, that doesnt change the fact that spending more time looking for fixes or instruction than actually playing the game is unrealistic. if i wanted to do that , id ask for a job of searching for hours upon hours for fixes. and Gnou, it wasnt between the keyboard and the chair. whether you believe it or not, it was a bug. i found the fix right here in this very forum. go look it up if you want. "locked up buildings and missing crew". and as far as the test requirements. i said i met all the requirements just as the limited instructions say to do. i tried everything multiple times and never got the green check mark. thats why i said the game should give some hints or something. the game lacks instruction and leaves you guessing on what works. for example, right now in version 1.0, i cant connect Gemini fuel tanks to each other for some reason. so here i am again searching , with no luck, trying to figure out why they wont connect. there are barely hints or clues at all in game. the game lacks little things like that. some parts descriptions say, this goes with this. but most parts leave you out in the cold as far as how they work or go together. how is a new player supposed to find all these little things out without having to search for hours when the developers could easily include some direction in the game? it seems fundamental to me that they would inform us about their game and how to play it.

I just remembered. I had a similar bug in 0.24, and as at that time I didn't know of the forums it basically broke my savegame. What you say is true, the game gives very little in the way of instructions. However the KSP wiki explains almost everything you need to knoe, they just haven't included it in the game itself. I guess they might do this at some point, but as of now I think the team is focusing more on the game itself than on documentation.

thanks for the help. i understand it was in beta, that doesnt change the fact that spending more time looking for fixes or instruction than actually playing the game is unrealistic. if i wanted to do that , id ask for a job of searching for hours upon hours for fixes. and Gnou, it wasnt between the keyboard and the chair. whether you believe it or not, it was a bug. i found the fix right here in this very forum. go look it up if you want. "locked up buildings and missing crew". and as far as the test requirements. i said i met all the requirements just as the limited instructions say to do. i tried everything multiple times and never got the green check mark. thats why i said the game should give some hints or something. the game lacks instruction and leaves you guessing on what works. for example, right now in version 1.0, i cant connect Gemini fuel tanks to each other for some reason. so here i am again searching , with no luck, trying to figure out why they wont connect. there are barely hints or clues at all in game. the game lacks little things like that. some parts descriptions say, this goes with this. but most parts leave you out in the cold as far as how they work or go together. how is a new player supposed to find all these little things out without having to search for hours when the developers could easily include some direction in the game? it seems fundamental to me that they would inform us about their game and how to play it.

I haven't checked the new tutorials so I don't know if they are good or not. But what is a "gemini fuel tank"?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.