The Race to Publish the First KSP 1.0 Compatible Spaceplane SSTO

I edited that exactly 1 minute BEFORE you replied. /end of discussion. :P

Bwahah. I read it before you editied it but the reply came through after you edited it. Only just realized the timestamps.

After a few hours I got an ssto plane to minmus with 5.8t of cargo. Delivered a satellite in minmus orbit, landed, dropped a rover to drive around and flew back to land on kerbin. Not super hard, but no plans to fly to visit other planets using an ssto plane, it's just not practical...

EDIT: Unless I'm able to refuel at an LKO refueling station and I'm just flying to a very low-grav moon at another planet. But any higher-gravity or non-o2-atmosphere body is again, not practical. To be honest, flying out to a low-gravity moon isn't really worth it either.

Edited by xtoro

...Unless I'm able to refuel at an LKO refueling station and I'm just flying to a very low-grav moon at another planet...

Minmus is pretty good going for 1.0.2 :)

You can set up a mining/refuelling base there, and ship it back to LKO (or even HKO) for refuelling duty; much cheaper than repeatedly launching tankers from KSC!

Minmus is pretty good going for 1.0.2 :)

You can set up a mining/refuelling base there, and ship it back to LKO (or even HKO) for refuelling duty; much cheaper than repeatedly launching tankers from KSC!

True, but my plans are to bring much heavier payloads up, so the ssto plane is out of the question. It was just fun to play and see if I could do it since I've never really been into plane building. I do find 1.0+ easier to fly with.

After a few hours I got an ssto plane to minmus with 5.8t of cargo. Delivered a satellite in minmus orbit, landed, dropped a rover to drive around and flew back to land on kerbin. Not super hard, but no plans to fly to visit other planets using an ssto plane, it's just not practical...

EDIT: Unless I'm able to refuel at an LKO refueling station and I'm just flying to a very low-grav moon at another planet. But any higher-gravity or non-o2-atmosphere body is again, not practical. To be honest, flying out to a low-gravity moon isn't really worth it either.

The main purpose of me building SSTO's is because I want a self-sustaining Laythe base. And because I'm really bad at flying/landing and performing accurate deorbital burns it needs to be a VTOL SSTO with some ability to fly to the landing site in the atmosphere too, and prefereably with the ability to land some cargo (have a double mk3 cargo bay, to put down habitats, mining equipment etc at the surface).

I guess if I can manage that at Kerbin, then I'll have some excess performance at Laythe, which is always nice...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.