How to fix those heatshields! (get rid of command pod flipping into the heat!)

Endersmens

The hotfix changes only files that need changing, since you already changed that value, it either replaced a 0 with a 0 or left it alone. Either way it's still right. :)

Thank you! I'd rep you but apparently I already have recently ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 7:22 PM, KomradeKerman said:

This is still happening to my pods, even with PhysicsSignificance set to 0.

This is not needed in 1.1.3+  Heatshield properly shifts CoM down:

c4nyLrD.jpg

HL5dO9l.jpg

On descend, the center of mass will go first always. Stuff with most mass = goes down on descend. Like a rock attached to rope, rock falls first.

The wings or any other surfaces will create Drag force though, which will become stronger with higher speed. Stuff with wings = goes up on descend.

You want the part that should face heat to be heavy and have very little lifting surfaces.

This mod only changes Heatshield to Weightless. Causing Heatshield to add weight to the part its attached to, instead of having own weight.

That means no more CoM shifting to bottom - the craft will be more maneuvable, but less stable (!) and can flip easier. If you want less mass on the bottom - just attach something to the upper part of the command pod.

Edited by Kerbal101

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.