We really need that Delta-V calculator

So I've been playing Hard mode, and for once am actually finding it a challenge rather than a long, hard grind for science. However, it immediately became apparent that the stock methods I've been used to for several years don't give you the same capabilities as before. Example: the RT-10 nerf. That thing was a great early career option for getting into space. Now it's just a low-to-medium altitude booster.

The BACC isn't much better either.

Even if it doesn't require ~4600 m/s of delta-V to get to orbit anymore, having something that lets you know that you've got 4600 delta-V in your ship would be great.

And another thing:

A TWR display. The early booster-capsule firework rockets basically need to be thrust limited. (I think. Maybe I'm used to the 0.90 atmo still, where unnecessary thrust was inefficient.)

In any case, that's my two cents for 1.0. Everything else is great. (Though the fairings are a bit clunky, but I'll get used to that. Love the exploded view!) I've gotten Kerbal Engineer again, and hopefully that will bide me over to whenever they put this in the game.

So I've been playing Hard mode, and for once am actually finding it a challenge rather than a long, hard grind for science. However, it immediately became apparent that the stock methods I've been used to for several years don't give you the same capabilities as before. Example: the RT-10 nerf. That thing was a great early career option for getting into space. Now it's just a low-to-medium altitude booster.

The BACC isn't much better either.

Even if it doesn't require ~4600 m/s of delta-V to get to orbit anymore, having something that lets you know that you've got 4600 delta-V in your ship would be great.

And another thing:

A TWR display. The early booster-capsule firework rockets basically need to be thrust limited. (I think. Maybe I'm used to the 0.90 atmo still, where unnecessary thrust was inefficient.)

In any case, that's my two cents for 1.0. Everything else is great. (Though the fairings are a bit clunky, but I'll get used to that. Love the exploded view!) I've gotten Kerbal Engineer again, and hopefully that will bide me over to whenever they put this in the game.

With the Great Part Rebalancing in 1.0, many ISP's have been nerfed. Building my first rockets, i found it hard to get into orbit, since i didn't bother checking the reduced ISP's and was using old designs which worked. You just need to recalibrate to the new part stats, and then your internal intuitive deltaV calculator will work once again (or just download KER).

With the Great Part Rebalancing in 1.0, many ISP's have been nerfed. Building my first rockets, i found it hard to get into orbit, since i didn't bother checking the reduced ISP's and was using old designs which worked. You just need to recalibrate to the new part stats, and then your internal intuitive deltaV calculator will work once again (or just download KER).

The problem isn't really the ISP, it's the new atmosphere model. Knowing that it requires less Delta-V, having less delta-V in the first place due to ISP nerfs, not knowing how much you've got, and being unsure of how to go about your ascent profile is not a great strategy.

Not that the Delta-V calculator would solve everything, but it would help.

The problem isn't really the ISP, it's the new atmosphere model. Knowing that it requires less Delta-V, having less delta-V in the first place due to ISP nerfs, not knowing how much you've got, and being unsure of how to go about your ascent profile is not a great strategy.

Not that the Delta-V calculator would solve everything, but it would help.

New atmosphere is not that different from FAR/NEAR (or at least, its closer to FAR/NEAR than to 0.90 stock), so i was already calibrated for that.

My point is that the changes to aero and ISP means that you need to recalibrate in your brain what you need to get to orbit, mun etc...

As you mentioned, deltaV calculator wouldnt help you recalibrate deltaV to orbit or 1.0 due to new aero.

I think what is bothering you is that it feels like you are a beginner again, since some of your past experience is obsolete. After playing even a few missions, i'm sure you will be a pro again :sticktongue:

I think what is bothering you is that it feels like you are a beginner again, since some of your past experience is obsolete. After playing even a few missions, i'm sure you will be a pro again :sticktongue:

100% this, and there are no words to describe how good that feels! :D

Reflecting on it more, I think the problem is really the tier 1 launchpad and VAB restricting me too much for the Mun. *remembers why I wanted more funds*

Oh, right... :blush:

And I'm relearning for sure, now that I've launched some thirty-odd flights.

On one side I'm proud to have just designed and flown a Mun-flyby on the first try (without maneuver node or even orbit intersection showing, all I am missing is a Heinlein-certified slide rules and a sextant)

On the other side, DeltaV per stage and TWR are far too important for interplanetary planning mission or anything involving docking.

So I'll be keeping this as a signature until I see both showing (at least after upgrade).

New Player: "What's that number next to the compass after I make a maneuver?"

Squad: "That's the delta v you need to do the maneuver."

New Player: "Ok. So how much delta v do I have?"

Squad: "We're not telling!"

Wasn't there a mention about Kerbal Engineer becoming the one giving those data or am I dreaming ?

Isn't it planned for 1.01?

I'll believe it when I see it at this point. I changed my sig (the one Kegereneku posted above) because someone told me it would be in 1.0.

P.S. your signature is a bit outdated since.. yesterday

OK. So he didn't say it'd be 1.0. ;)

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.