1.0 is actually a great update!

RocketPilot573

I agree wholeheartedly with the topic of this thread. It's a terrific update to a terrific game. The aero and heating are different, but definitely not worse, than before. They're much more realistic which in my book is better.

The heat conduction and absorption.... Wow! That's pretty neat.

There are a few bugs but they haven't really impacted playability for me. I'm confident Squad will get them cleaned up. Let's not forget Squad is a small team and has to make tough decisions about when and how to release. A version x.0.1 is almost inevitable after anyone releases a major software update and in my opinion, to expect it to have been completely airtight on release day is a bit unrealistic. The software has to get out into the wild for the final bug-squashing to happen.

Let's compare Squad to Microsoft for a moment. Microsoft has hundreds of thousands of employees and has never in thirty years released a v 1.0 of anything that wasn't total bug-ridden crap. They usually don't get things right until version 3.0, and then they mess it up again by version 4.0 by completely changing the UI and adding bloaty pointless features. Who would you rather have developing this game? My money's on Squad all day, every day.

I'd argue that only now is it the KSP we all know and love; all the versions before this one were suspect. I'm actually playing stock for once, it's a pretty great update.

Does it still count as stock if the only mod one has installed is the unofficial bugfix mod?

Does it still count as stock if the only mod one has installed is the unofficial bugfix mod?
I suppose I'm not playing "stock" because I installed Engineer before even loading 1.0 for the first time.

I suppose I'm not playing "stock" because I installed Engineer before even loading 1.0 for the first time.

I played stock until Engineer updated. Thank goodness I have a general idea of how to build those early rockets. The KER HUD should be stock. Constantly switching to map mode and trying to get those apoapsis/periapsis readings while staging is a complete pain. The dv readouts during construction are a bonus, but they do kind of take away from the "how about this?" vibe the game seems to want.

I actually like and dislike the update at the same time, on one hand, it's easily the best update KSP has ever had, the aerodynamics are brilliant, the re-entry heat makes me nervous when I re-approach Kerbin, and the new parts and IVAs are amazing, however on the other, it has torn our once peaceful and extremely friendly forum apart, and caused mass amounts of whining, flaming and general all round chaos (that's what it is to me at least), without the mods, the forum would be in anarchy from this update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.