Aura Launch Vehicle - A modular, reliable, stockalike rocket family

The goal of this mod is to add a modular, RAM-friendly, good looking, cheap and reliable launch vehicle, which can carry satellites and crew to LKO, GTO or KEO.

It is heavily in development, I am working on the models right now, and I am planning to add SRB's to increase launch vehicle performance. The overall diameter of the rocket is 1.875m, the diameter of the two engines is 1.25m to make it usable with Stock tanks and such, the diameter of the fairings is 2.5m and the complete launch vehicle is 24.3m long. As for the stats, the first stages "Sway" Liquid Engine will probably have a thrust between the LV-T45 and the Rockomax "Skipper" Liquid Fuel Engine, so about 400kN probably, but I am not sure about the upper stage currently, I guess I will give it about 100kN thrust, but it is still some time until I will have to worry about game stats.

I hope you will like it so far, and if you have questions, requests or things you don't like on the model, feel free to post it! :)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

What a great little parts mod! Will be very useful once its done! Good luck and i am excited to see what becomes of this. Follow+Rep!

Side note! If the caliber of the models are on par with the launchers pack this will truly be a wonderful pack to behold.

Edited by sp1989

Wow, I didn't expected that this would "impact" like this! Thanks for all your positive feedback!

@Leszek: I haven't really thought about the colors yet, haha :D

@sp1989: I want to make them more detailed as Stock parts, but not too detailed as Launchers Pack, so the part detail level will be somewhere in the middle of those two. :)

So yes, I will make it stockalike, at least a bit, for example those characteristic black/white stripes on the engine mounts, and as for the tanks, I thought a combination of white and grey could look good. The models you can see above will probably get a remake or at least an overhaul, to make them visually mire interesting. :)

One thing that would be excellent for this pack would be a range of SRBs. One thing i have noticed atleast that it is now much more efficient, better looking, cost effective, and realistic to use SRBs with the new aerodynamics. I am not gonna say that Asparagus staging is dead but SRBs function exceptionally well now. So I guess what I am saying is that a line of versatile SRBs would really round out a pack like this. Just a thought obviously its your vision and your pack. Again good luck and I cant wait to see what comes.

Yes, I also thought of some SRB's, currently I have only one, the KEM-40 "Roar" Solid Rocket Booster:

UOmGrOV.png

Here's an image of the second stage, the "Whizzy" Liquid Engine Cluster now has integrated RCS thrusters and tanks, allowing for full 3 axis-orientation control in Space, that makes the engine much more interesting. Also, I have added some detail to the inside of the Payload Fairing, which would look awful if it would get textured, it would look so curved when textured. Probably:

sL3jVc2.png

And finally, here is a list of the versions I have currently planned, only with one SRB, but more to follow, as you suggested sp1989.

gv8PzwW.png

Eventually, I will also add a 3rd stage kick motor, or even two, to have a choice, with different specs, like one has high thrust short burn time and the other low thrust and high burn time, to launch probes further away.. I will see. :)

All images are also available in the first pages imgur album, I hope you will like it! :wink:

Yes, I also thought of some SRB's, currently I have only one, the KEM-40 "Roar" Solid Rocket Booster:

http://i.imgur.com/UOmGrOV.png

Here's an image of the second stage, the "Whizzy" Liquid Engine Cluster now has integrated RCS thrusters and tanks, allowing for full 3 axis-orientation control in Space, that makes the engine much more interesting. Also, I have added some detail to the inside of the Payload Fairing, which would look awful if it would get textured, it would look so curved when textured. Probably:

http://i.imgur.com/sL3jVc2.png

And finally, here is a list of the versions I have currently planned, only with one SRB, but more to follow, as you suggested sp1989.

http://i.imgur.com/gv8PzwW.png

Eventually, I will also add a 3rd stage kick motor, or even two, to have a choice, with different specs, like one has high thrust short burn time and the other low thrust and high burn time, to launch probes further away.. I will see. :)

All images are also available in the first pages imgur album, I hope you will like it! :wink:

Perfect!!!

This looks like a combination of the Delta II, Delta IV, and Delta IV Heavy. Nice job! A stockalike CST-100 to use with this would be cool.

Thanks! :) I haven't planned to make capsules, I thought you could just place the Stock capsule on top of it. :wink:

Also, since this is my first real "stockalike" project, and texturing is not one of my best skills, I would like to ask you what you think of this:

rPsrEag.png

This is the KaeroJet KJ-18 Solid Rocket Booster, it has a diameter of 0.625m and a thrust of 100kN, it burns for about 40 seconds. You can see the SRB in action in the main imgur album:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Those are about the colours I would want for the Medium Fuel Tank, it is still very undetailed, just to collect first impressions:

XRT5Ewc.png

What do you guys think? What needs to be changed/improved? Tell me! :)

Thanks! :) I haven't planned to make capsules, I thought you could just place the Stock capsule on top of it. :wink:

Also, since this is my first real "stockalike" project, and texturing is not one of my best skills, I would like to ask you what you think of this:

http://i.imgur.com/rPsrEag.png

This is the KaeroJet KJ-18 Solid Rocket Booster, it has a diameter of 0.625m and a thrust of 100kN, it burns for about 40 seconds. You can see the SRB in action in the main imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/CKsDp

Those are about the colours I would want for the Medium Fuel Tank, it is still very undetailed, just to collect first impressions:

http://i.imgur.com/XRT5Ewc.png

What do you guys think? What needs to be changed/improved? Tell me! :)

Nice colors!

This thing actually looks like the Delta IV and Falcon rockets had a child and then the child had a kid with the Ariane 6.. and the grandchild had a kid with the Saturn IB.

Also a CST-100 would be really, really awesome. I want to see that!!!!

Also a CST-100 would be really, really awesome. I want to see that!!!!

As I said, it is currently not planned. I have also revised the look of the tank, it looks now like this, I think I have found a pretty good "middle-thing" between the new and "tidied" NASA ARM Pack parts, and the normal, "dirty" stock parts, but have a look at it:

HmsRQWY.png

I think it is pretty good as it is, on this level I will also texture the other parts. :)

As I said, it is currently not planned. I have also revised the look of the tank, it looks now like this, I think I have found a pretty good "middle-thing" between the new and "tidied" NASA ARM Pack parts, and the normal, "dirty" stock parts, but have a look at it:

http://i.imgur.com/HmsRQWY.png

I think it is pretty good as it is, on this level I will also texture the other parts. :)

I like it. The NASA parts look like they were coated in antibiotics and the stock parts look dirty, these are a nice in-between.

I've got the most stuff done now! Yeaaah! I have often used stock textures, hope you will like it! :)

http://imgur.com/a/CKsDp

But the fairings won't be working, this is why you can see the stock procedural fairings on top of the rocket..

More parts! Fantastic job with the rocket!

However, I think the textures look too "muddy" and dirty, even for stock (which even then I'm not a huge fan of due to the "cobbled-together" asthetic). The long tank looks great, just the short one and the engine shrouds for first and second stage motors look too dirtied up for my taste, and possibly even for stock. If you compare to the stock fairings, the rocket itself looks a lot dirtier, so that might be something to look into for later releases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.