A few problems here

Hey guys.

Love the game. Getting used to 1.0 but a few things seem a bit off and I dunno if it's just me missing something or what so I'll let you guys decide.

Since .90 my game has suffered a huge FPS drop when I am looking at a reasonably complex ship or space station. I am talking about ships that I could use with no visible slowdown and now it's like I am running a pc from the past.

In 1.0 I couldn't fold away my solar panels on a shuttle I built this week. Could always retract them before but now after deployment the retract option simply isn't there.

I know the new re-entry heat is more realistic but I couldn't land my shuttle without it exploding. There are no heatshields for the underside of the fuselage or wings so they just burn up. Am I missing something silly here?

lastly I notice that throttling up with RCS turned on also burns up monopropellant. It never used to and I am not using the monoprop engines. Just the RCS blocks.

Anyway I still love the game and I am not here complaining but I'd love to figure these problems out.

Hi Ronnleuk, no ideas on the FPS issue, can you post your logs please, see the support stickies for info.

The unboxed solar panels are one shot now, to differentiate them from the more expensive model.

Re-entry is possible but yeah it's harder, try airbrakes or drag chutes to help slow you down so you're not burning for as long, also a shallower approach.

SAS is a bit badly tuned so will keep firing the RCS, best used sparingly or turn RCS off and use other means to stabilize the craft until you're in space.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Your probably right about the re entry.

My monoprop is getting used while I fire the main engines. It's not the SAS trying to keep the ship stable it's as if the RCS blocks think that they are engines. Like if I push shift to throttle up it throttles up the rockets/jets and any rear facing RCS nozzles to push me forward. If I switch RCS off then it doesn't do it but with bigger ships I use RCS quite a bit because reaction wheels are sluggish. I used about 1000 RCS fuel without realising last night just by adjusting my orbit using my main rocket engine.

Maybe

Probably better to do a clean install. I don't want to lose my save though because I've got 24 flights in progress. I'll need to find the save location. I have the steam version.

If the saves aren't in the game folder try C:\Users\username\application data, there should be a folder for Steam and KSP, oh and application data is hidden, so enable viewing of hidden files.

Ok, I have done a clean KSP install. I put mechjeb on too since I have the mechjeb part on my big ships which give me the fps slowdown and they wouldn't load without the mod installed. But Vanilla other than MJ. I am averaging 15 FPS looking at a medium sized station built from around 6 of the big orange tanks and a core in Kerbin orbit at 160k I get about the same FPS in any location with any ship that is a little bigger than basic. My game used to run so well I never saw any visible slowdown even on my biggest lifters with 700 parts but since .90 it's been like this. It's really spoiling the fun for me. My pc is plenty powerful so I dunno why this is happening.

Here's my specs

Intel 3930k 6 [email protected]

Nvidia 780 GTX

512 GB OCZ SSD

16 GB DDR 3 ram at 2133mhz

I have heard that the MJ UI has caused lag for some players, trying to do UI elements in a Unity plugin is pretty slow.

If you remove the MJ plugin it should still load the craft but Mechjeb will be disabled.

Hmm, if I remove MJ through CKAN it doesn't load my ships.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok tried a big ship with no MJ, it's still just as slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just tried an old graphics driver from about a year ago when the game worked fine. Tried with and without any mods and it still runs very slow. It loads like normal but fps is awful. It used to be so fast I didn't need to think about it. You can see from this pic I am not even looking at a hugely complex station and it's running at 10-15 fps.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://s15.postimg.org/9774plxaf/KSP_2015_05_02_18_50_18_46.jpg' alt='KSP_2015_05_02_18_50_18_46.jpg'>

• 3 weeks later...

Still no joy getting my high fps back. I really don't enjoy it like this so think I'll need to stop playing and hope an update gives me back the performance I used to have. I could build a 700 part ship and still have very little visible slowdown. Maybe unity 5 will fix it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.