Too Big For Your Shoes.

Hi,

i'm fairly sure all you guys are great guys in real life, maybe have families and wives or just want to relax after school.

but i've noticed that modders are getting a lot of hate for their mods since their were a wide variety of mods...

it saddens me because this is something that they did for free. sure they have a donate button but that doesn't mean you HAVE to donate...

and now if a hater gets the upper hand on a modder he'll get angry/offended and lock the thread (or give up) hurting alot of us good guys.

and more and more modders are just keeping the source code to themselves instead of sharing it which means if a fan knew how to code it they can't because of the licence.

(not to say this is wrong but it just means we can't put it up again without permission)

so, as a community, any ideas what to do about this without being too over the top?

other than a stern "your acting like a kid, shush and rethink your life"

Edited by AntiMatter001

I think many of us who've been here a while kinda expected a shift in the community when 1.0 came out. I also expect that things will quiet down in a bit and return to more like they were (I hope at any rate). Update time is always a bit fraught (I tend to hide under a rock for a few days after an update) and 1.0 was always going to be the most fraught. Best thing to do is for the majority of the community to just keep doing what they do (being awesome mostly) and it will rub off, or the grumpy ones will leave.

Whenever a new version comes out, I usually play the game vanilla until the modders can get their changes done. I'll check back and see what the status is and go back to playing and crashing. This can take several weeks to happen. I guess that some people aren't as patient as I am.

It sort of reminds me of birthdays... you expect gifts for them despite the fact that you probably haven't done anything to deserve it... People feel "entitled" (yep I used it), and then stop seeing that there is more to the world than the SOI around their ego.

They just don't realize the amount of work required to develop game updates or mods. Then, according to them, devs are only devs: everything they do should be around their game/mods and they should constantly work to improve their creation.

For game updates, everyone that complained assumed that 1.0 would perfect, according to their individual standards and actually no one but the devs knew exactly what was in the update.

Therefore, after the release, people realised that it did not fit their dreams of perfect KSP, and emphasized every single issue in the update. This happened sometimes in positive ways: posts made to share issues encountered with the community and to find a solution for these. But sometimes, the feedback from the update was more rude: either literally, with people just complaining about the update; or in a more insidious way, by constantly bringing up the issues with 1.0 in a way that made these issues look like they could have been solved by anyone and that the devs just did their jobs badly (that may also be unconscious, thinking you're just reporting an issue but actually sounding harsh)

Now about mods; currently, mods are in a huge majority existing solely thanks to volunteer work by fans rewarded by nothing but by satisfaction of enhancing the game or seeing positive feedback from the community (this has been proved recently by the Valve/Bethesda debate on paid mods, which ended up by removal of these paid mods).

From there, one has to appreciate mods for what they are in their current state, bearing in mind that the mod devs are also fans of the game, doing mods in their free time and that one cannot expect from them to spend days and nights on their work.

Again, the issue is there are some people (a minority) that expect the devs work to fit their personal expectations for the game. If one of these people find an issue with the game, they will first complain about the game to the game devs; and then even more to mod devs about mods not fixing their exact issue, with often few work on their side to find a cause.

This category of people do not like change: change always disappoints because you don't always get what you want.

Thing is, things shouldn't always stay the same, constant evolution, for a game or anything else, is the source of constantly renewed experiences.

I want to conclude by precising that the people about which I'm talking are a very small minority, but as for everything else in the world, in a community you unfortunately hear only the annoying, noisy minority over the peaceful rest of the group.

On our side, I think best we can do is ignore these kind of people, just letting them grunt on their own and not giving them the attention they seek. And on the other hand, watch for what we say, try to be supportive towards the work devs do and greet every update with a big smile thinking about the enhanced content of the game.

[Feww, that's quite a long post, but it's over :cool:]

I think many of us who've been here a while kinda expected a shift in the community when 1.0 came out. I also expect that things will quiet down in a bit and return to more like they were (I hope at any rate). Update time is always a bit fraught (I tend to hide under a rock for a few days after an update) and 1.0 was always going to be the most fraught. Best thing to do is for the majority of the community to just keep doing what they do (being awesome mostly) and it will rub off, or the grumpy ones will leave.

Agree with only a slight difference of opinion. We members who have already earned our wings need to help nudge, guide our newest members when necessary on how to be a good community member. Some people I'm sure are coming from forums where behavior not needed here was the norm there. Our newest members just need to learn how we treat each other. PM's often are the best way to do that gentle corrections. Some people just aren't aware of how their post may have come across. Plus the moderators are some of the best I've seen. (They haven't banned me once.) They'll keep it all flying straight. The community will weather this addition of new members as it has others and will have to again.

Agree with only a slight difference of opinion. We members who have already earned our wings need to help nudge, guide our newest members when necessary on how to be a good community member. Some people I'm sure are coming from forums where behavior not needed here was the norm there. Our newest members just need to learn how we treat each other. PM's often are the best way to do that gentle corrections. Some people just aren't aware of how their post may have come across. Plus the moderators are some of the best I've seen. (They haven't banned me once.) They'll keep it all flying straight. The community will weather this addition of new members as it has others and will have to again.

Agreed, I think that in addition ot the Community rules, we need community guidelines, with examples (not real ones) of good behavior and bad behavior, and certain issues to try to avoid. Sometimes I wonder if the rules are a bit to technical, especially for younger members coming into the forum.

Agreed, I think that in addition ot the Community rules, we need community guidelines, with examples (not real ones) of good behavior and bad behavior, and certain issues to try to avoid. Sometimes I wonder if the rules are a bit to technical, especially for younger members coming into the forum.

The Good Conduct Guide covers a lot of those bases, though it doesn't have much in the way of examples.

As a modder, I'll put it bluntly: the worst thing about this whole deal is bugfixing. 95% of the bug reports that are submitted are very very subpar, contain no information except for a "This happened, help!", and expect me to figure out exactly what the bug is in fashionably short delays. To make it worse, about 50-70% of the time, the bug has been reported or fixed in a previous patch. Apart from that, I find the community to be pretty understanding and supportive. I'm often pleasently suprised.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.