Afterburners? Just a small thing...

Dman979

This should be a simple mod, but I can't figure it out myself.

Can you add a module to the Basic Jet Engine that allows it to go to afterburner?

I was thinking it needed a R.A.P.I.E.R-style switching mode, only with LF and Air.

It would have a vastly increased fuel consumption and would overheat quicker when on afterburner, but could produce more thrust and operate up to Mach 1.7.

Can you do this?

Edited by Dman979

[THREAD=9923]The Lazor System mod[/THREAD] has something like that (you'll need one of the lazor system main modules and yellow lazor on your ship) but it's currently broken. Also, it's maintained by Romfarer, who is one of the KSP devs and therefore busy, but it'll probably be updated eventually.

I'm not really good at that stuff, but you could write a ModuleManager plugin that modifies the stock jets to have a RAPIER/SABRE style switch mode, only with (like you said) vastly increased fuel consumption.

I would love to see that, along with a mode switch to ramjet for the advanced engine

Thinking about it that's a really good idea. I'd be interested as well. What's more I could probably do it. I've not actually written anything with ModuleManager before but I understand how KSP config files work, and presumably ModuleManager uses a similar format. But I've got exams coming up. If someone hasn't picked this up in two weeks, and there's still interest, message me and I'll give it a go.

The advanced engine already is a ramjet. Read the description. ;)

for the BJE, it's simple enough. Add the multimode, add a new mode, add some FX.

I am aware that it is a turboramjet, it just doesn't act like a real one, see the Pratt & Whitney J57.

What I'm asking for is a proper mode switch between turbofan and ramjet mode.

I just had an idea how to do this with a plugin. Increasing thrust while increasing the heat that is being generated. But it doesn't seem like I'm able to decrease the isp for decreased efficiency.

Edit: Scratch that i managed to edit the isp curve so now the fuel usage can increase too.

Edited by SpaceTiger

I'll do some research but this shouldn't be too hard. Did you want it as a toggle on the existing part or has a whole new part? I can't really model a part.

Theoretically, it should be a momentary toggle, keyed to an action group, on the existing part.

I'll do some research but this shouldn't be too hard. Did you want it as a toggle on the existing part or has a whole new part? I can't really model a part.

I'd like a toggle on the current part.

For reference, here's a dual-mode jet using MM and the MultiModeEngine module, shamelessly cribbed from 0.90 part cfgs. I haven't patched up a modded 1.0 yet. Numbers are just "make a difference" rather than anything in particular and I seem to have broken the sound, but it does things.

ABENGINEDEF
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
engineID = AirBreathing
directThrottleEffectName = power_open
runningEffectName = running_open
thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
exhaustDamage = True
ignitionThreshold = 0.1
minThrust = 0
maxThrust = 225
heatProduction = 400
useEngineResponseTime = True
engineAccelerationSpeed = 0.2
engineDecelerationSpeed = 0.35
useVelocityCurve = True
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = IntakeAir
ratio = 15
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 1200
key = 0.3 2500
key = 1 800
}
velocityCurve
{
key = 0 0.5 0 0
key = 1000 1 0 0
key = 2000 0.5 0 0
key = 2200 0 0 0
}
}
}

+PART[turboFanEngine]
{
@name = DLTAfterburningJet
@title = Afterburning Turbojet
@description = Burn yet more fuel!

!MODULE[ModuleEngines]{}
MODULE
{
name = MultiModeEngine
primaryEngineID = AirBreathing
secondaryEngineID = Afterburners
}
#@ABENGINEDEF/MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]{}
#@ABENGINEDEF/MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]{}

}

@PART[DLTAfterburningJet]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],2 {
@engineID = Afterburners
@maxThrust *= 1.25
@useEngineResponseTime = False
@atmosphereCurve {
@key,0 = 0 600
@key,1 = 0.3 1250
@key,2 = 1 800
}
}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.