Stock Fairings vs Procedural Fairings

I messed around with the stock ones for a bit, and from my view, I honestly like the way P fairings works better... I have more control, how many fairings there are ( 2 sides, 3,4, 5,6,etc), the ejection force of them, so on and so forth. I really wish they would have just integrated procedural fairings in instead of using the new system...

I messed around with the stock ones for a bit, and from my view, I honestly like the way P fairings works better... I have more control, how many fairings there are ( 2 sides, 3,4, 5,6,etc), the ejection force of them, so on and so forth. I really wish they would have just integrated procedural fairings in instead of using the new system...

Agreed 100%. If there is some unofficial system available to players then an official release needs to be at least as feature full as the mod. At LEAST!

I facepalm every time those things go off.. :rolleyes:

That... and, this could be just me being used to Procedural fairings, but I think its actually more intuitive.. I mean YES... the stock system you can edit stuff inside without having to move it, but really... all you do for procedural fairings is place one fairing on, that is it, everything else comes on and off as you pull one on and off... its so much more intuitive to me.

There's a couple of things the stock fairings have going for them:

• You don't need a mod. I consider that a really, really big plus as I like to keep the number of mods I have limited for various reasons (performance, stability, etc)
  • Interstage fairings are a lot easier with stock, as opposed to having to work with two bases.
  • "Did I add that thermometer?" Stock winsâ€â€for now.

There's no doubt PF looks better and if I were recording a movie I'd be using them. I also suspect that the stock fairings will set off some evolution on PF making them better in any aspect.

I don't think stock needs to outperform existing mods in every aspect. I do think that, long term, stock needs to offer everything that is regarded "essential" to enjoy the game. That doesn't stop at parts but includes also things like clouds, chatter, automation (we've already seen that happening with the pilots). Stock should provide a playable basis (and the stock fairings do). If you want more/better/different in some way, get a mod. (Case in point: real chutes vs stock parachutes)

Personally I actually don't particularly like either and favored the pre-set fairing sizes that came with KW Rocketry. I always thought part of the fun/balance of a fairing should be having to design a payload that fits inside. Yes, I understand that realistically a payload could just have a fairing designed specifically for it, but even so.

Procedural Fairing.... separate better, have a rounded shape, look more realistic while stock fairings have too many sharp edges and separate awfully. Wit the StockFix you have the same controls you would have with the Proc. Fairing. I'd go with the stock fairings if someone is able to make them separate correctly, not in the kerbal way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.