It won't let me get rid of 0.90 so i can't upgrade

Okay, every time I try to get rid of my 0.90 or my 0.90 copy it says something like:

'The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program'

The only thing I have open is internet explorer, and task manager is not showing anything else open.

Please help.

If restarting doesn't work you could try temporarily disabling your antivirus. Sometimes they'll prevent you from deleting a file in the process of being scanned or similar.

EDIT: another common occurrence: do you have any of the subfolders open?

Edited by armagheddonsgw

CTRL+Alt+delete and start the task manager to see if there is anything open in the background related to KSP?

That was one of the first things I tried! It only shows internet explorer!

Just restart your computer, that will clear any open programs and allow you to remove 0.90

The only way I know I can restart my computer is by pressing the power button, waiting ten minutes for it to close down and pressing up again. Is there some special 'shut down' option?

The only way I know I can restart my computer is by pressing the power button, waiting ten minutes for it to close down and pressing up again. Is there some special 'shut down' option?

in the start menu (pre 8 at least) you could restart (the arrow next to log-off or shutdown)

I never managed to get my launcher to work since the 1.00 upgrade but... Squad, you shuold address the installer/launcher ASAP, but for the purpose here it doesn't matters. Just do this:

go to ksp shop

download 1.00 zip file, not the installer

unzip it to a folder in your hdd, call it, say, KSP 1.0 leave the 0.9 installation as it is, doesn't matters

create a shortcut, in your desktop, directly to ksp.exe in your ksp 1.0 folder ( not the launcher!!! )

there you are!

As a "plus" you will have both 0.9 and 1.0 running at the same time

If you have KSP on Steam then Jaeleth's advice will not help you, the store and Steam are not the same.

[Click here] to see how to restart Windows.

You may see a message saying that programs are still open, click the button in the message to end those programs, this is okay.

If you have difficulty I suggest you ask your parents.

You say you turn off your computer with the power button? I believe that can damage the hard drive, which can lead to much worse problems (I once had a situation where I couldn't turn off without unplugging, all folders were corrupt, couldn't be opened or deleted, and the computer took ages to open anything, if it opened at all).

I will try sal_vager's method later today. This post will be edited once I find out if it worked or not.

Edit: VICTORYYY!!! Using sal_vager's method I have successfully gotten rid of my 0.90. I will attempt to install 1.0 tomorrow.

Edited by ChrisSpace

You say you turn off your computer with the power button? I believe that can damage the hard drive, which can lead to much worse problems (I once had a situation where I couldn't turn off without unplugging, all folders were corrupt, couldn't be opened or deleted, and the computer took ages to open anything, if it opened at all).

These days, if you give the button just a short push, it is no different from selecting the shutdown option from the start menu (or equivalent for OSes other than Windows). Of course this also means sometimes the system might be so stuck it just won't shut down. Then holding the button down for something like 5 seconds will force a power down, which can damage files as you say. It is still better than yanking the power cord or using the mechanical power switch that some machines have in the back, as that has been said to possibly even physically damage parts of the computer.

There is a surefire way to restart any windows PC. This works on any version of windows from at least 95 and up so no matter how familiar you are with the interface or not this will pretty much always work.

Press the windows key + R at the same time to bring up the run prompt

Type cmd and press enter

When the window loads type shutdown /r and then press enter

Windows will now restart

Ah yes, steam, sorry, it won't work. That's why I always purchase from the publisher, not steam, I want to have total control of my software, unless steam gives a significant discount, which wasn't the case... :P

- - - Updated - - -

It is very rare that you damage your system with a hard shutdown, on a pc or laptop, it can happen but, very rare. In my whole life, maybe once or twice that happened to me. With several hard shutdowns, specially if one is performed right after the other, when rebooting, yes, it is likely. A single hard shutdown, from once in a while, after waiting some time for the pc to shutdown and seeing it freezing at some point, unlikely to cause problems.

Ah yes, steam, sorry, it won't work. That's why I always purchase from the publisher, not steam, I want to have total control of my software, unless steam gives a significant discount, which wasn't the case... :P

- - - Updated - - -

It is very rare that you damage your system with a hard shutdown, on a pc or laptop, it can happen but, very rare. In my whole life, maybe once or twice that happened to me. With several hard shutdowns, specially if one is performed right after the other, when rebooting, yes, it is likely. A single hard shutdown, from once in a while, after waiting some time for the pc to shutdown and seeing it freezing at some point, unlikely to cause problems.

Actually the steam version of the game gives you full control. you are able to run the exe directly and bypass steam altogether.

The game is completely DRM free even the steam version.

I have both a 0.9 and 1.0 copy and I purchased from steam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.