SASI YK-18 "Kobra"

Ladies and gentlemen, Sordid Aerodyne and Spaceflight Industries is pleased to present to you our latest creation, the YK-18 'Kobra'.

In its recent first test flight, this compact and highly maneuverable supersonic jet fighter has reached an altitude of over 16,000 meters and a top speed in excess of 2500 km/h (700+ m/s).

b2651.jpg

abb77.jpg

34274.jpg

69057.jpg

79048.jpg

1c538.jpg

cb255.jpg

Achieved while at full throttle at operational ceiling for most of the journey.

9630c.jpg

NEW! An enlarged variant, YK-18L 'Long Kobra', now available, featuring longer range and friendlier handling!

a021b.jpg

Disclaimer: SASI is not responsible for any fractures, cuts, mangling, crushing, burning, tearing, squashing, bisection, decapitation, evisceration, dismemberment, disembowelment, or any other form of bodily injury that may occur as a result of the Kobra\'s extreme sensitivity to control input. Maximum maneuverability has been the primary concern in its design. Anyone who flies it does so at their own risk. If you can\'t handle the Mach 2 jet fighter, get yourself a Cessna instead.

Cool, but you broke one of the biggest rules in C7 builds; overlapping wings. You can see in the pictures than certain parts look above the ones around it - because they actually are. I\'m assuming if you let go of the controls temporarily, the jet will start to roll.

Pretty cool though!

Yeah, it is very unstable, though mainly in terms of pitch and to a lesser degree yaw. Roll isn\'t really a problem.

I\'m hoping to further improve it by making the overlapping wings symmetrical. On the left wing the forward part is on top, but on the right wing the back part is on top.

Edit: Right, I made some modifications which I consider to be an improvement. Craft file has been updated. It\'s possibly even more unstable in pitch now, but what little spontaneous roll there was seems to be gone completely. Personally I consider the instability a plus, since that means good maneuverability. It does require constant adjustments, but you\'re in a Mach 2 jet fighter, you\'re supposed to be paying attention anyway.

I love these craft, but I\'m having some difficulty controlling them... because their roll rate is INSANE. Is there anything we can do about this short of waiting for part context/changing what type of control surfaces we have?

I love these craft, but I\'m having some difficulty controlling them... because their roll rate is INSANE. Is there anything we can do about this short of waiting for part context/changing what type of control surfaces we have?

You could delete the ailerons and rely on the tail control surfaces and thrust vectoring only for maneuvering.

Also, you are using an analog controller of some kind, yes? It doesn\'t have to be a sophisticated flight stick, I play KSP with a 360 controller, but even that is much more precise than keyboard control.

Nope, I\'m using a keyboard. I\'m planning to get a Saitek and FSX in the summer but at the moment I\'m literally having a night off revision to test the new version. And spaceplanes are SO much more difficult! I suppose flight has become a bit more off-limits for binary users.

Edit: Taking the ailerons off helped a lot, although I haven\'t reached max alt yet so I\'m guessing it won\'t perform very well up there. By the way, I\'m seeing some resemblance to an American aircraft but I can\'t pin down which. I\'m thinking F-15?

I\'m seeing some resemblance to an American aircraft but I can\'t pin down which. I\'m thinking F-15?

I don\'t think it resembles any specific aircraft. The shape of the wing is reminiscent of the F/A-18, the lack of space between the ailerons and the stabilators makes it look a bit like an F-22, and the two oversized engine nozzles are straight out of the MiG-25.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.