Using Mk3 instead of Command Pod

Hi,

Looking at the stats for the Mk3 cockpit and the Mk1-2 Command Pod, i couldn't help but think that the cockpit would make an excellent Command pod.

Same mass, lower drag, higher capacity, more torque, more power, more mono

It's losing out on temperature (by 400) and cost (by a lot). But a heatshield and recovery near the center should cancel that out.

Is it feasable as a replacement?

30T full tank: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/34119152245942968/30694957F68D8A74D9E21C531EACBC7609C90D96/

15t quater tank: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/34119152245953175/D37253C5D04985A704CE5ADDED9B64E456784CBB/

Docking port, 2 drogues, 2 chutes, fuel, shield and a puddle.

Low TWR

Total weight 30t

If i lower the fuel in the tank to about 900m/s dV it has 1,73 TWR and 15t, not that bad.

I took it to about 1000km and straight down through the atmosphere without any problems.

Seems to work. Val was very happy to be in the cockpit with the other 3 orangies.

You should also consider using a probe core plus a hitchhiker can. Add some aerodynamic cones/adapters and a reaction wheel and you get the same performance on the cheap and with less mass, and you still can take 4 kerbals.

Or a 2.5m service bay with a reaction wheel, small monoprop tank, and four command seats. Add a nosecone (Rockomax brand adaptor plus aerodynamic nose cone), and you'll mass under 1.5 tons to carry four kerbals.

Or just a modular girder segment with clipped-in probe core, 0.625m reaction wheels, and radial batteries; four lawn chairs, fixed solar panels, heatshield, and a nose-mounted parachute. Less than a ton.

-Duxwing

Iv really gotta start working on this stuff properly.

Right now I pick a Pod, attach a rocket, instruct Val to update his Will and off we go.....

Where does one find that Delta V Stats window at?.

Where does one find that Delta V Stats window at?.

Until I give in and start installing mods again (Kerbal Engineer), I'm using a calculator. Divide your ship mass by the ship mass minus fuel, take the natural log (ln), multiply by standard gravity (9.81) and the ISP.

I've always hated the Mk1-2 command pod. It's overweight, has a horrible view, and you have to stuff one of your kerbals under the seat. The only positive is that it has a high crash tolerance, but meh.

Not to mention that the ladder is off by thirty degrees or so.

Which isn't all bad: at least you can place RCS thrusters on the cardinal directions without blocking a ladder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.