Bug where ship becomes un-editable in VAB

I've had this happen with a few ships. When I detach certain parts of it, and reattach them, it becomes uneditable. I can save, and if I exit the game and reload it, everything is fine, but if I follow the same steps again, it becomes uneditable again.

Right-click menus on the ship parts still work, but the parts in the bins on the left no longer show tooltips, and right clicking there for expanded tooltips doesn't do anything.

I've attached the ship I've most recently had this problem with. Detach the lowest fuel tank (a Rockomax X200-8), an reattach it. It doesn't matter if you "put down" the parts first, and then pick them back up to reattach them, or not.

The section being detached has a fairing base in it. This seems to be what's causing the problem. If I take the fairing base out, this problem doesn't occur.

It shows this in the output.log:

Duna Mission 1 loaded!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Autogen thumbnail for C:/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_Data/../thumbs/Xenoc Sandbox_VAB_Duna Mission 1.png from C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\Xenoc Sandbox\Ships\VAB\Duna Mission 1.craft

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

fuelTank4-2 added to ship - part count: 66

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[FairingXSection] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleProceduralFairing+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
ModuleProceduralFairing:scheduleReconnect()
ModuleProceduralFairing:<SetupEditorFSM>m__19B()
KerbalFSM:RunEvent(KFSMEvent)
ModuleProceduralFairing:onSelfReattach()
Part:onAttach(Part, Boolean)
EditorLogic:attachPart(Part, )
EditorLogic:<SetupFSM>m__CD()
KerbalFSM:updateFSM(KFSMUpdateMode)
KerbalFSM:UpdateFSM()
EditorLogic:Update()

(Filename: Line: -1)

I encountered this in a (lightly) modded install originally. I copied the ship over to my clean unmodded Steam install, and it still occurs.

Whoops, totally forgot to attach it, actually. In the meantime though, I was able to come up with minimal steps to reproduce the bug, so the craft file isn't really necessary. (Unless it is?)

0. Start a new ship

1. Add capsule (Mk1 Command Pod)

2. Add fuel tank (FL-T200)

3. Add fairing (1.25")

4. Build fairing (actually finish building it, either over the command pod, or closed on the fuel tank)

5. Delete fairing (right-click, choose "delete fairing", don't delete the actual part)

6. Move fuel tank

From this point on, the game is broke, and you have to exit KSP to fix it.

I've attempted those steps on a fresh, unmmoded install and had no issues...

However, changing the steps a bit, I've encountered the same issue as lewisd

Here's my changed steps:

0. Start a new ship

1. Add capsule (Mk1 Command Pod)

2. Add fuel tank (FL-T200)

3. Add fairing (1.25")

4. Build fairing (closed on the fuel tank)

5. Attempt to move the fuel tank without deleting the fairings

From now on, only right click works, and even deleting the fairing through the right-click tweakable doesn't 'free' left-clicking

Hmmm, I've attempted to replicate the bug once again, but this time it took several attempts to get the left-clicking issue..

Anyway, I've uploaded my output_log here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exvlswqckr3n5wb/output_log.txt?dl=0

Kerbal Space Program - 1.0.2.842 (WindowsPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8)

RAM: 6136

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (1987MB)

I'm really going to need your logs for this one Lewis, I can't reproduce it, KSP replaces the logs each time you start so you'll need to get then immediately after this issue occurs.

Were the logs I posted not enough? I can reproduce it easily enough, so I'll get what I can.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a short video of reproducing it:

https://youtu.be/U-DtE9yJPew

I follow the steps Thiagobs mentioned, and also my original steps. As you can see, Thiagobs's steps don't cause the bug for me.

Here is the log from that video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqxc57zrt71klec/2015-05-11-1607-output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by lewisd

I have had this problem and it always seems to be after I attach fairings to something remove a part or two and then I need to exit the VAB and return. Then every thing works fine. Does not happen all the time for me but it does seem to only happen when I attached fairings.

Next time it happens I'll post my log and what I was doing when it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the double reply. I found something in the logs and wanted to edit it in, but I'm still waiting for moderators to approve my other comment.

The error itself is at the very end of KSP.log. It's definitely related to fairings:

[LOG 22:00:57.511] ---DockingAsDecoupler  : 2
[LOG 22:01:05.794] fuelTank2-2 added to ship - part count: 104
[EXC 22:01:05.799] InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[FairingXSection] (IEnumerable`1 source)
ModuleProceduralFairing+.MoveNext ()
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
ModuleProceduralFairing:scheduleReconnect()
ModuleProceduralFairing:<SetupEditorFSM>m__19B()
ModuleProceduralFairing:onInterstageReattach()
EditorLogic:attachPart(Part, )
EditorLogic:<SetupFSM>m__CD()
KerbalFSM:updateFSM(KFSMUpdateMode)
KerbalFSM:UpdateFSM()
EditorLogic:Update()

The full KSP.log

I can't reproduce it because it does not break on my KSP install, so I don't know what's happening here sorry.

Are you trying to make interstages with two fairing bases?, it's not required to use two, maybe that's what is causing the issue here.

I am attempting to send a Mun lander pod up along with a rover. The idea is to achieve Mun orbit, detach rover/lander stage (rover / separator / fuel tank / radial rockets and lander pod), Mun entry, hover close to surface and release rover, then land the pod. Then the rover can run around and collect stuff, deliver to lander, which takes it back to orbital lab.

In my construction, it goes fairing base > girder > mini separator > rover probe core > large circular battery > mini separator > fuel tank > lander pod. The fairing is supposed to extend up as a straight cylinder and attach to the bottom of the fuel tank, to support and protect the rover parts during liftoff. The game supports this, recognizes touching the fuel tank as a condition to complete the fairing. The vehicle root is below the fairing base. If I detach or attach just about anything above the fairing base, I get the bug and can no longer click on things. VAB is then permanently broken until I exit the game. At least, I can't find any in-game action that resets it, including quitting to the main menu and reloading the save.

I've also had this glitch happen several times when the fairing was the topmost cone of the ship, with an orbital survey probe inside.

• 2 months later...

Anyone managed to find the exact cause and perhaps a solution?

I've looked up and found another thread (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122586-Editor-bug-with-fairings) talking about the exact same problem only the solution they gave him there was pretty much to be more careful with the fairings.

Looks to me like the connecting the fairings unwisely causes some kind of error with handling the parts and makes the game think that the user is still holding a part or something, thus he is unable to click any other parts.

Anyone who has more experience can try and verify my suspicions?

• 8 months later...

This is a rather old thread, but upon searching the forums I came across it. Having this identical issue right now. I cannot use left click to interact with parts in any way in the VAB. Can't add new ones, can't move old ones. Nothing. This occurred immediately after I added a fairing, it popped up to ask me to build it, I right clicked to dismiss it as I wasn't ready to build it.. and voila.. no more part clicky. The fairing I added wasn't anything weird, just a small duna lander followed by a decoupler, followed by a fuel tank, followed by an engine, followed by a decoupler, followed by a fairing. The fairing was going to cover everything from the base up to the bottom of the mk 1-2 command pod on the lander's ascent stage, but I never even did anything with it.

Edit: After checking out the thread mentioned by the guy above me I found a way to fix it at the bottom of that thread - alt + f12 to clear the input lock stack (at the top of the "cheats" menu after you hit the show input lock stack button. Now I can pick things up again. Apparently right clicking to dismiss that fairing locked my ability to pick up parts but never cleared it.

Edited by Enorats

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.