Early career SSTO - up to 15 tons to LKO without rapiers

Edit:

New craft available here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121087-Cronus-Titan-hauler-SSTO-80-tons-to-LKO

And all of my craft can be found here

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120753-Roflcopterkklol-Industries-V1-0-2-New-craft-Cronus-80-tons-to-LKO

i finally unlocked the parts to start making SSTO's in my 1.0.2 career and figured i might share my first work horse for this version, presenting

The SSTO Rocket Comet

zIKF3J1.jpg

GXaZ7aF.jpg

Ojnut2o.jpg

Description:

Capable of carrying up to 15 tons into LKO (200-500km orbits depending on the pilot/payload) reliably you can not ask for much more from the parts used to create this craft.

As an added bonus there is a version of this craft with a communications satellite ready to go as well as one with an explorer craft capable of landing on the mun and returning to kerbin.

Cost: 136,837

Part count: 194

Weight: 107.4 Tons

Flight instructions:

As a note, be careful when breaking or say good bye to the air brakes (This includes while flying you can rip the craft apart)

On launch pitch up to +45 degree until 8km, at 8km bring the pitch down to +5 degree and gain speed until 1200m/s at 12km-15km, once at 1200m/s raise the pitch to +30 degree until orbit, at 18-25km engage the LV-T45 engines.

This craft was built without action groups, feel free to add them if you have them unlocked.

IMPORTANT:

Once in orbit transfer liquid fuel from the two centre mk2 liquid fuel fuselages into the 3 forward most mk2 to 1.25m adapters.

Download links:

SSTO Rocket comet - Part count 194

http://www./download/qksu8ahqbcgmkp2/SSTO+Rocket+Comet.craft

SSTO Rocket comet (With comms satellite) - Part count 250

http://www./download/jmcjujdzwb5wjhu/SSTO+Rocket+Comet+%28With+explorer+craft%29.craft

SSTO Rocket comet (With explorer craft) - Part count 244

http://www./download/2e1piiewrkccl7o/SSTO+Rocket+Comet+%28with+satellite%29.craft

MShf0is.jpg

u0wlgB5.jpg

GrIUsiy.jpg

dNxK5Fe.jpg

cS74ZaV.jpg

2cVcKtg.jpg

ILHyf4b.jpg

4SaMzke.jpg

JEBZ4He.jpg

More craft to come in the future, now that i have these parts unlocked in my career ima go nuts.

If you like what you saw here leave some rep or a comment, feel free to leave any suggestions as well. :)

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Mind showing what nodes in the tech tree are required to make this?

You don't need propulsion systems, heavy rocketry or heavier rocketry but im fairly sure you need everything else thats unlocked here.

jeRL9CO.jpg

Use it with moderation, however...

I never have nor will i ever apologise for part clipping :sticktongue: I do like to think im fairly fair with it though, heck i could double clip engines on it and then double its delta V quite easily

I actually find it quite pretty, nice long thin streamlined design. Looks a little like a blackbird, and I LUV the blackbird :3

Oh hey thats a good idea ill rebuild my B-2 spirit bomber, SR-71 and SR-72

I do like to think im fairly fair with it though, heck i could double clip engines on it and then double its delta V quite easily

I dare you to try. You would find a thing or two about rocketry and the rocket equation.

I dare you to try. You would find a thing or two about rocketry and the rocket equation.

Did you see what im working on atm lol?

just working out fuel flow issues atm but it takes 80 tons to 500km orbits, heck it would take 120 if you could put that much in the cargo bays. this is me not being fair with clipping

Eoj7Jo9.jpg

Jeb and val certainly are very excited about the idea, bill and bob are always party poopers when it comes to experimenting :P

I really want to know about this clipping technique, seems to make some bizarre SSTOs :D

What limits your craft in many cases appears to be radially mounted parts (esp. fuselage sections per experiments with external fuel tanks and 'missiles') which increase drag, so the more engines you can slap on to a smaller area at the rear (thus needing less fuselages), the better?

N.B. I've gotten pretty lazy the past week when it comes to spaceplane launches - if my design can't get to orbit on a simple 25-45 deg ascent it usually gets scrapped or reworked. So naturally my experience with spaceplanes is based on this approach.

Did you see what im working on atm lol?

just working out fuel flow issues atm but it takes 80 tons to 500km orbits, heck it would take 120 if you could put that much in the cargo bays. this is me not being fair with clipping

http://i.imgur.com/Eoj7Jo9.jpg

Nonono, I meant do what you said, literally: double-clip engines on the last one, then try to take it to orbit with double the payload. I guarantee you it won't work as you seem to think it will, but maybe you will learn something in the process.

Rune. KSP, right now, is very fair on the clipping: unless you turn the cheat menu on, it gains you nothing.

Nonono, I meant do what you said, literally: double-clip engines on the last one, then try to take it to orbit with double the payload. I guarantee you it won't work as you seem to think it will, but maybe you will learn something in the process.

Rune. KSP, right now, is very fair on the clipping: unless you turn the cheat menu on, it gains you nothing.

Oh ited be a bit more than just double, probably end up being 500-800 parts by time i doubled its delta v

Oh ited be a bit more than just double, probably end up being 500-800 parts by time i doubled its delta v

At least several times the weight, if it is even doable with KSP's tank fraction. There is not a direct relation between the thrust and delta-v, and there is a delta-v ceiling, as anyone who understands the rocket equation knows. You just implied something along those lines (double powerplant, double deltaV), and I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I admit I could have done it with more finesse, maybe.

Rune. The deltaV ceiling of SSTOs in 1.02 is lower than ever before, BTW.

At least several times the weight, if it is even doable with KSP's tank fraction. There is not a direct relation between the thrust and delta-v, and there is a delta-v ceiling, as anyone who understands the rocket equation knows. You just implied something along those lines (double powerplant, double deltaV), and I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I admit I could have done it with more finesse, maybe.

Rune. The deltaV ceiling of SSTOs in 1.02 is lower than ever before, BTW.

Ill see how far i can make this thing go, it should be able to carry an extra 50ish tons of fuel, the video is just the 9 LFO tanks that you can see none clipped inside

Edit:

Should have probably installed mech jeb so i could check the delta v at 100km but oh well, it goes 30 times further than before just by adding more fuel.

im sure if i actually spent some time on something could break that delta v ceiling

PpRdXe4.jpg

dL2TMpf.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.