The new "Flea" booster - have you found a use for it?

Draconiator

They make for a lovely retrofire rocket when dropping a Jeb back to Kerbin from a Solar orbit. Kills about 1k off of the 3.5k speed built up when you fire in high atmosphere. Kept that nice easy solar science from dying. Also Jeb, but he's replaceable.

Back in 1.0.0, my standard low tech suborbital tourisim rocket was BACC->RT10(50.5% thrust limit)->Flea and 3 command pods, (pilot and 2 tourists) and a single nose chute. With 1.0.2 I had to reduce payload weight, so I replaced the pilot with a probe core.

I dont play much if any career, and even there its onbly good for rapid boosts. That said, i find myself using the RT-5 ALOT, its liek a RT-10 but smaller, the biggest killed of RT-10 torpedoes was size, now i get to stack twice as many torpedoes in the same spot. Weapons aside, i ocasionally use them for RATO boosters on some aircraft with carrying a full weapons load.

Yep, found a use for it. Check it out ('tis my refueling ship)!

The only (minor) thing wrong with this is that 1st separation knocks a nosecone off of one of the boosters, but doesn't affect flight in any (noticable) way

I use Fleas with top-mounted LF+O tanks and fuel lines to uprate my existing launchers for bigger payloads and greater delta-V; I've found the it to be somewhat more cost-effective than the RT-10 and LV-T30 in this role.

I've also considered using a single Flea as a crasher stage for a heavy Mun lander, but haven't had time to test this yet..

It is an excellent addition, very useful. It is great for disposing of large boosters and sky cranes. Might as well been called "Sepratron 2"

FYI the reason the flea is a 1.25m vs a 0.625m is that it had to have a form factor that fit below your first capsule.

That and I'm sure Squad doesn't want an SRB that is too missilely.

Edited by Pax Kerbana

Multiple fleas as first stage connected to as few stack decouplers as possible make an excellent and cheap first stage in early career. As they burn so quickly and before the rocket has picked up speed I figure that there drag can be ignored.

They have also been an easy fix for rockets that had low TWR on launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.