Only engineers to rescue

I was running low on pilots, so I figured I'd rescue a couple from orbit, but I just keep getting engineers. Is this supposed to happen? Does anyone get pilots? I have eight engineers now, but still no pilots... :confused:

[edit: I changed the tag to "Answered", because it's basically ok to get 9/9 engineers. Perhaps the game looks at the death rate per profession before determining the rescue missions?]

Edited by ftunk70

As far as I know it depends on the name the kerbal, don't know how it works exactly though. Other options to get pilots are using an probe capable of sas (right click to see) or hire pilots if you have sufficient funds

I think I've rescued 1 engineer, 1 pilot, and 6 scientists... something like that, lots of scientists - which I'm happy about right now, there are lots of science labs to staff!

I think Kerbals' profession is determined by their name, has someone built a utility that figures out a Kerbal's profession by their name so we can check before accepting the mission?

Don't sweat not having pilots because they're the most useless of all the classes. They become completely redundant after you get your 1st probe core that has SAS. Fire every pilot on your roster once you have this probe core and don't hire any more.

Scientists are only useful as long as there's still a tech tree to unlock. After that, they're useless, so fire them all.

Engineers, OTOH, are quite useful all throughout the game due to their abilities to fix things and improve ore acquisition. By late in the game, your roster should only be engineers.

Don't sweat not having pilots because they're the most useless of all the classes. They become completely redundant after you get your 1st probe core that has SAS. Fire every pilot on your roster once you have this probe core and don't hire any more.

Scientists are only useful as long as there's still a tech tree to unlock. After that, they're useless, so fire them all.

Engineers, OTOH, are quite useful all throughout the game due to their abilities to fix things and improve ore acquisition. By late in the game, your roster should only be engineers.

I never realized you could just fire them...I have been arranging workplace accidents.

Accept the rescue contract, go to the astronaut center, and check the victim's profession (and stupidity, if you care about those things), and cancel the contract if they're not up to snuff. Easy as letting someone die a lingering death in space. :)

Accept the rescue contract, go to the astronaut center, and check the victim's profession (and stupidity, if you care about those things), and cancel the contract if they're not up to snuff. Easy as letting someone die a lingering death in space. :)

Then you fail the contract; and get the penalties, right? I mean, at that rate, you may as well just hire some.

I don't think it counts as a contract failure if you cancel the contract - you just have to give back the up-front money, as I understand it. The penalties are for when the contract goes really fubar, or you miss the time window.

"Workplace accidents". That's just evil. And very very funny.

Well, I saved two more engineers and no pilots. But you're probably right, engineers are best in the long run. No sweat.

so far, all my new recruits come from rescues.

I have 2 scientists... 4 pilots, 6 engineers.

I started with 1 scientist, 2 pilots, 1 engineer.

Thus... for me, the rescue totals:

Scientists: 1

Pilots: 2

Engineers: 5

I really want more scientists, pilots are nearly useless now that I have a probe core on almost everything...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.