[WIP] [1.05] THERMONUCLEAR TURBINES! 1.0 Nuclear Aircraft Engines

Eskandare

Why not put the F-1 Engine at the back of a Kojote and see what happens? ;) What could possibly go wrong? Now that i know whats causing it, i am satisfied. Just leave it as is if you like it this way. It is working as intended, no bug, thats all that counts. :)

We an put a shuttle on a 747 but not a 747 on the shuttle... let me guess, because it is KSP, you're going to try doing that...

I was thinking more along the lines of the old saying about the Fairchild-Republic A-10 being an airplane mounted on a gun

cool. with spread its mass as far as Masamune into the craft? That could be a problem for.minimalistic.designs. :!

Nope :) I built it just for that reason, but it will have much less power. It wasn't too much a struggle to get into space with one engine, but it sill was a bit tricky. Also I'm working on a .625 version too, so you can really go minimalist. Also working on a community tech tree set up so that the different unlocks in career will make you feel like there had been advancement in engine research.

I was thinking more along the lines of the old saying about the Fairchild-Republic A-10 being an airplane mounted on a gun

Ahhhh... the Thunderbolt II, such a beautiful plane.

Edited by Eskandare

Hi there, had much fun sticking this engines on planes and sending them to space.

That being said, I noticed that the masamune is less efficient than the stock nuke engine. One a existing design, where I removed a nerva and replaced the stock turbojet with the masamune, I noticed a huge(close to half) reduction in delta-v.

Looking into the cfg files, I realized that stock nerva engines had liquidfuel consumption of 0.9 while masamune was 1. Was this intentional for balancing reasons? I'd figure that masamune and the stock nerva have similar fuel efficiency while the masamune would weight heavier due to more complexity

Hi there, had much fun sticking this engines on planes and sending them to space.

That being said, I noticed that the masamune is less efficient than the stock nuke engine. One a existing design, where I removed a nerva and replaced the stock turbojet with the masamune, I noticed a huge(close to half) reduction in delta-v.

Looking into the cfg files, I realized that stock nerva engines had liquidfuel consumption of 0.9 while masamune was 1. Was this intentional for balancing reasons? I'd figure that masamune and the stock nerva have similar fuel efficiency while the masamune would weight heavier due to more complexity

Yes, it has .1 more fuel consumption then the Stock NERVA, this was intended so these engines did not over shadow the stock nuke. :) I thought having, basically, a RAPIER with no fuel consumption in atmosphere but a nuke engine in space a bit powerful, I had to give it a slight disadvantage.

Edit: but now I think of it .9 is just fine because engine output is higher anyway. I'll add that tweak to my next update.

Edited by Eskandare

The Murasama is having a few teething problems still, but it's coming soon, so I released the 'Short M' early instead of releasing it with the Murasama.

Testing the Murasama...

wX4lucl.png

Edited by Eskandare

The Murasama is having a few teething problems still, but it's coming soon, so I released the 'Short M' early instead of releasing it with the Murasama.

Testing the Murasama...

There is going to be a point, sometime soon I expect, when the awesomeness of these nuclear engines will cause an aircraft to explode because Jeb just looked at the throttle lever.

The short-M has an attachment node... Issue. It's too far from the part in the released file.

I had just realized that I uploaded the old config. I'll be making a quick update.

EDIT: Fixed

Edited by Eskandare

All the engines that have two modes of operation have... Issues with the orientation of the thrust vector. It is just slightly off, and that causes issues for spacecraft.

Odd, I'll look into that, but I'm sure all transforms are zeroed out. I haven't had any trouble at all during my tests.

Dude. I had this exact same stinking idea. And I was going to be all educated and teach myself how to make mods or at least edit config files... aw well. Well done sir, downloading immediately.

• 2 weeks later...
Dude. I had this exact same stinking idea. And I was going to be all educated and teach myself how to make mods or at least edit config files... aw well. Well done sir, downloading immediately.

You can make one too! I don't have a monopoly on nuclear turbine engines. :D A few other modders have done the same thing; FreeThinker, Porkjet and Suicidalinsanity have made simmilar engines.

Edited by Eskandare

You can make one too! I don't have a monopoly on nuclear turbine engines. :D A few other modders have done the same thing; FreeThinker, Porkjet and Suicidalinsanity have made simmilar engines.

Yes, but yours are far, far more fun than mine could ever be. Ah've been to Duna with yours... of course, I didn't really land, but that was kind of due to me not including enough wing... I keep planning to make an Eve spaceplane with the Masamunes.

All the engines that have two modes of operation have... Issues with the orientation of the thrust vector. It is just slightly off, and that causes issues for spacecraft.

I double checked unity and my node orientation, so far no discrepancies. Everything is zeroed out on the correct axis. I haven't had any trouble in my testing either, so I'm not sure what you are experiencing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.