Eve Mining Rover Help

Anyone know the best way to set up strong wheels for an eve rover? Here's the rover:

HwTGmmj.jpg

The wheels tend to just fall off when I drive. Do I just need more wheels? Is there a good way to strut them up? I have used the shift tool to move them a bit, don't know if that hurts the strength. They're also attached to the batteries, don't know if that puts too much force on a small part or something.

Edited by ScottyDoesKnow

I guess the wheels need to be more closely beneath the CoM of the rover, especially for Eve where it will weigh so much. Try adding a girder underneath the length of the rover, then attach the wheels to that. Then strut from each wheel's node to the main body. You will lose some stability, as your wheels will be less spread out, but it should be a bit more solid.

If you're prepared to mod then there are some great options. The Kerbal Foundries mod springs to mind.

Thanks FleshJeb, worked like a charm! I wonder if it actually takes connection area into account, cause they would fall right off when attached at an angle, but when I popped these front two they stretched halfway down the girders without coming off.

SM5RpdG.jpg

Thanks FleshJeb, worked like a charm! I wonder if it actually takes connection area into account, cause they would fall right off when attached at an angle, but when I popped these front two they stretched halfway down the girders without coming off.

Awesome, glad I could help! I tested the crap out of that construction technique (100's of kms of full-throttle roving on Kerbin). I think the strength of the part they're attached to has something to do with the durability. Also, it looks like you strutted the front and back girders together, and that helps with overall craft stiffness. I think having a floppy craft really increases the potential dynamic stress on the wheel joints.

My only recommendation on your current design would be to move your second pair of wheels farther forward. The front pair takes the most abuse, so that will help unload them. It's far better to pop a rear tire than a front one.

Now, jump that thing off the launchpad at full throttle and see if you can find areas that need reinforcement. ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.