Kerbaltopia.com

Fengist

Kerbaltopia.com

Designed to be a complimentary site to Kerbal Stuff, Kerbaltopia.com is a website designed initially to be a collection point for comments and ratings on KSP Mods.

Open Beta

Based on the WordPress CMS and a custom plugin, consider this to be an open beta test of the website.

Please, come... test links, punch graphics, have a look around, leave comments and let me know what you think. I'd really like to get some good feedback on this site.

Updates:

Imports data from the Kerbalstuff API.

Now imports data from CKAN.

Now listing Lots of Plugins, Gobs of Mods, a couple Scenarios, and a few Flag Packs.

Kerbaltopia.com is now aggregating various RSS feeds about KSP.

Thanks to SirCmpwn from KerbalStuff.com for making his open API and for the advice on accessing it.

Edited by Fengist

I gave my own mods 5/5. Then I opened an incognito window (no cookies) and gave SafeChute 5/5 again.. and again. They're now the top mods on the site. Hooray!

The site is easily gamable since there's no logins.

I'm still not sure what the point of the site is. The "popular mods" link on KerbalStuff seems to already serve the question of "what are the best mods", though you could argue there are not-popular yet high-quality mods, I suppose.

I gave my own mods 5/5. Then I opened an incognito window (no cookies) and gave SafeChute 5/5 again.. and again. They're now the top mods on the site. Hooray!

The site is easily gamable since there's no logins.

I'm still not sure what the point of the site is. The "popular mods" link on KerbalStuff seems to already serve the question of "what are the best mods", though you could argue there are not-popular yet high-quality mods, I suppose.

Thanks for the test. I think I now have it fixed so that doesn't happen without a bit more effort. However, if you find new ways to bash into the site, I'd appreciate you letting me know in private rather than making it public so I can fix it.

And the difference is, popularity. Kerbal Stuff is based on the number of followers and/or number of downloads. While either of these give some indication of a mod's popularity, that's still not a lot of information to determine if it's a good mod. FAR is top on KS... I'd never use it personally. Kerbaltopia will (eventually) present a number of pieces of data that users can determine the 'value' of the mod. The one I consider most valuable, each mod will have it's own separate user comments and no, you don't have to log in to leave them but they are moderated.

Where Kerbal Stuff presents raw facts and figures, Kerbaltopia will present opinion.

Finally, do you really want your mod host to get into the business of comment debates? I'm pretty sure that SirCmpwn has the ability to code comments into Kerbal Stuff and could have at any time. But I get the feeling that he didn't so that he can remain unbiased about being the host. And, in my opinion, and it's just my opinion, he should remain unbiased. I, using his data, am not under that obligation.

I also thought it might be nice to let those that create the mods see what an anonymous opinion of their mod is. I can think of nowhere else they can get that.

There is no 'perfect' solution to determine what makes a good mod or a bad one. I'm merely trying to offer an alternative.

Finally, Mods are just a starting point. There are other plans.

Again, thanks for the input.

Edited by Fengist

• 2 weeks later...

I've just recently finished a project that took a good bit longer than I expected. I have succeeded in mashing together the data from both Kerbalstuff.com and CKAN. As a result, there are now over 920 mods, plugins, scenarios and flag packs listed with direct downloads.

Take note, the last 250+ mods from CKAN don't have images, but I'm working on that as well.

Next on the list, I've grabbed all of the versions of KSP 13.3 and earlier. I'll be converting them all to the .zip format, uploading and making them available for download. Since they're currently hosted on the spamfest mediafire, I thot it time they got a non-spamming home.

I still don't have a good copy of the following versions:

Windows

version 0.8.3

MacOS X

version 0.10.0

version 0.11.0

version 0.13.0

If you happen to have a copy of these older versions lying around, please send me a message and I'll be happy to let you know where to send them.

Next on the todo list:

Parsing part files from every single mod into a MySQL Database.

Parsing .Craft files. (already have that mostly completed)

A web form that generates .ckan files (possibly)

and any other similarly insane idea that pops into my head.

There are probably bugs and incorrect mod versions listed. Just let me know if you find them and I'll get them fixed.

Oh, and a new, much easier to view theme.

Enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one more thing. I'm looking to start a collection of links to other KSP related websites. If you know of any, please post them and I'll add them to the collection. Once I have a few more, I'll turn the links database on and you can check there to see if I have one already. Thanks.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm looking to start a collection of links to other KSP related websites. If you know of any, please post them and I'll add them to the collection. Once I have a few more, I'll turn the links database on and you can check there to see if I have one already. Thanks.

In addition to the main KSP website (and it might be useful to break it out into main, forum, wiki, and store), I know of Curse, KerbalStuff, KerbalX, and Kerbal Comics (not updated in years, so there's not much chance of getting reciprocal links from them).

Oh yeah, and a bunch of KSP-related subreddits - I know of kerbalspaceprogram, kspmods, kerbalacademy, kspmemes, and kos.

Kerbaltopia.com is now aggregating various RSS feeds about KSP. You can view them from the Kerbaltopia main menu / KSP News.

If you know of any more feeds that should be in the list, please use the contact form and send me a link. Enjoy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.