KSP 1.02 Thrust to Weight Way Off on Eve

So, I build a ship that should have a takeoff TWR from Eve of about 2.0 (about 4.0 on Kerbin). I get it to Eve, and at takeoff, it has under a 1.0--can't get off the ground. Tried it with multiple designs. Is this a bug? Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that the Devs had revised the modeling of thrust to no longer be constant--i.e., to decrease thrust with decreased ISP due to atmosphere, but I think they have made a sea-level Eve ascent virtually impossible.

The old ISP modelled inefficiency in atmospheric pressure by increasing the fuel consumption when ISP was low. This is not how it works in reality.

So they changed the model so that it accurately reflects how rockets work. In high pressure environments, thrust is decreased. At Eve, with 5 atmospheres of pressure at sea level this results in many engines being almost, or even completely, useless.

Happy landings!

So, I build a ship that should have a takeoff TWR from Eve of about 2.0 (about 4.0 on Kerbin). I get it to Eve, and at takeoff, it has under a 1.0--can't get off the ground. Tried it with multiple designs. Is this a bug? Any thoughts?

Use aerospikes. They have very high ASL Isp and a near horizontal Isp curve, so they won't get slammed by Eve's atmosphere like everything else will.

Mamooth engines works really good on Eve tho rhinos are completely useless. Btw someone made a graph that shows engine twr against engines weight itself and seems the mamooth has the best results. So Mamooth engine gives the most twr for what it weights.

Here's my Eve ship...

jzyWqiy.jpg

The return ship is this less the escape tower on the top that has the 'chutes/airbrakes and the mining/processing stuff on the bottom. ie.:

M25msMp.png

Less dV is required for seal-level to Eve orbit now. Used to be about 12K, it's now closer to 8K.

Edited by Foxster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.