Enable the Chase camera?

I see people talking about using the chase camera mode to fly planes more effectively, but I can\'t seem to use it. When I press 'C', it toggles from 'free' to 'orbital' to 'auto', none of which effectively 'follow' the plane. Is there a secret key or config setting I\'m missing somewhere?

Thanks!

Nope, it\'s just disabled whilst the plane is 'landed'. Once you get in the air, you can use it. :)

Really? Mine has never worked. Ever.

I recall the chase cam was supposedly an option back when I first tried the game, but it didn\'t work then; it was liable to randomly wander around all the time. Even the defective option disappeared sometime between then and now.

I can confirm though testing that the 'chase' view doesn\'t kick in until I\'m 2km above the ground ... and it doesn\'t 'chase' you. It just gives you a more cinematic view.

Us joystick users need a camera option where the camera locks onto the aircraft/rocket at the angle you move it to ... and it stays there!

I can confirm though testing that the 'chase' view doesn\'t kick in until I\'m 2km above the ground ... and it doesn\'t 'chase' you. It just gives you a more cinematic view.

Us joystick users need a camera option where the camera locks onto the aircraft/rocket at the angle you move it to ... and it stays there!

Go into your settings.cfg, and change 'FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR = True' to 'FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR = False'.

The reason it had that cinematic, floaty feel, is because it was following your velocity vector, instead of where you are facing.

Also, altering the FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_SHARPNESS value may help. I\'m gonna test it for a value of 100 right now (default value is 0.1 :P).

The higher it is, the more strictly it 'locks' onto your craft, and you can alter it for following velocity or heading with that other value.

EDIT: Confirmed; altering the value to 100 causes the camera to follow you perfectly. Altering the rotation of the camera will merely stay in that relative position to the orientation of the craft. Also, it doesn\'t follow vertical direction, only horizontal.

That said, having this setting allows for some much easier recovery from extreme situations. My plane was spinning out of control, but since I could easily see the effect my input was having (the camera was pointing towards the nose), I was able to correct and stabilise, whereas in any other camera mode, the plane would have been spinning out of control, and any attempts to cancel it would have resulted in becoming hopelessly confused.

In short, until a specific chase mode for aircraft is added, I suggest you use this!

Go into your settings.cfg, and change 'FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR = True' to 'FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR = False'.

The reason it had that cinematic, floaty feel, is because it was following your velocity vector, instead of where you are facing.

Oh, thankyou! That was exactly what I needed!

Someone needs to sticky that now, especially with the recent 0.15 spaceplane update.

EDIT - Yep, setting FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_SHARPNESS to 100 does help too.

Also discovered that we can map the hat switch to change views. Turns out it was the last two items in the joystick control options thingymajig.

KSP enjoyment rating increased 49.387%

Ah, good!

Yes it really helps with controlling aircraft. They become almost properly maneuverable even with a keyboard (precision mode on) and can be flown without SAS, just from having a better setup camera!

:D

KSP enjoyment rating increased 30%. Projected increase when I obtain a joystick == 68.97%

Okay, but you still cant use it until you get above 2,000m?

Please, Squad, give us a good camera to go with the new aircraft. :)

I\'ve found that you can only turn it on at 2km, after that it stays on regardless of height so I just climb hard after take off then everything is roses after that.

• 1 month later...

Where has this thread been all my life? FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_USEVELOCITYVECTOR from true to false and FLT_CAMERA_CHASE_SHARPNESS from 1.5 to 100, and then the camera stays at the same angle relative to my ship as I manuever? But I have to be over 2000m altitude before it can be activated? Let me try that...

How funny, Vanamonde, you found this thread almost exactly when I did. =P

Yes, it has to be over 2km to activate - I\'m about to make a mod request thread asking whether allowing it to active at any time is something a mod could do (among other questions)...

Also, I personally found sharpness over 5 to be more than I like (really quite firmly attached to the ship\'s heading). I\'m used to slightly drifty chase cameras from games like Halo or various racing games. 2 or 3 seems nice.

Wow, it works, and that is really nice to have! But\'s going to take some getting used to. Every little wobble of the plane causes the view to jump around, so does setting the sharpness lower, how shall I put this? Attach the camera to the plane with a rubber band rather than rivets?

Yes, that\'s how it works. Judging by Clouds\' response, and his reference to Halo and suchlike... a 'rubber band' effect should lie around 5 or 7, depending on your taste. The Halo cameras are quite drifty, almost like the wind is slowly sweeping your camera view around. For flying sims, you want a bit more accuracy, not least because racing games and Halo never bother with real physics like KSP does -- there\'s no such thing as a vehicle crash in Halo, so you don\'t need your reactions to be quite as quick. For KSP, you want to see what\'s going on.

If that fails, just fiddle with it till you get what you want :)

I personally prefer it around 5-15, depending on what I\'m doing...

This clears up one mystery (why the chase setting seemed redundant), but there\'s something about else about the camera settings that confuses me. I fervently hope this isn\'t a really stupid question, but what exactly are the settings doing? As far as I can tell, each setting has one fixed axis around which it rotates freely 360 degrees, and you can pan 'up' and 'down' relative to that axis, but only 180 degrees because it reaches a limit when you\'re looking right at the zenith or nadir (thumps to a stop). I think the axes are:

Free: up and down relative to the world in whose SOI you find yourself. That is, 'down' is the center of the world.

Orbital: parallel to the world\'s axis: its north is your north.

Auto: baffles me.