Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

I think you should stick with the windowed cockpit you have Mike. You are to far ahead to start over with another model.

- - - Updated - - -

Just my opinion though. And did you look at the files i posted? There is a new booster texture in there. I fixed the white boosters lines.

I think you should stick with the windowed cockpit you have Mike. You are to far ahead to start over with another model.

I agree I don't think it's that imperative of a feature. However I think the radiators would be an incredible addition. Along with the ET doors. I'm also glad that all these shuttles are coming out of the woodwork when people have be pining for a proper space shuttle for years! Anyway it doesn't matter I'm just glad to so see actual progress and all of the incredible and beautiful work that is being done.

they sure are.

here is the early version of the next full update.

it includes most of what you saw from DECQ (the textures) along with all the latest changes and aero fixes and parts reduction (more to trim out)

note the crew compartment texture doesn't change yet or the tail.

but it has the radiators. but no multiple sections or ET doors yet (I need to do a bit of modeling)

the tail was the same shape so didn't replace

I will continue on it tomorrow

MAKE SURE YOU DELETE OR RELOCATE YOUR CSS FOLDER OUT OF THE KSP DIRECTORY BEFORE INSTALLING THIS

its pretty straightforward

and please advise me of bugs.

no changelog or craft file included yet

- - - Updated - - -

link to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpai6gsjdwhnhhm/CSS%20full%20update%207_PRE.zip?dl=0

- - - Updated - - -

just remember its not the full release and I haven't had time to test. this is not the final release....

- - - Updated - - -

BIG THANKS TO DECQ!!!!!!!

Mike-NZ As for the tail, I sent it to you? The simplest form of the tail depends on Engine mouth.New Tail is not needed. Sorry, did not specify :)

- - - Updated - - -

Jeast It will work with RPM ???

So i took for a short orbital flight with massive overload (1 orange tank). It is even with that controllable, but ... this thing gets really fast with that additional mass at descend :D you got to fiddle around with the engine output, though. Powered emergency landing with a space shuttle <3

It looks really pretty, i guess there ll be more to come. :)

But ive got still the Cockpit RCS issue...yaw left, nothing happens...yaw right, both side rcs translate right Oo pitch down nothing happens, pitch up looks weird but works. Thats all i found so far. Further testing incoming :D

Only issue im seeing is with the rcs. It has no pitch down. Pitch up works great.

Pitch down

1LC9XAf.png

Pitch up

PRWl040.png

- - - Updated - - -

This makes it impossible to dock to anything cause it also affects the docking controls.

Other than that its great so far. Have not reentered and landed yet.

Two issues I've had: The textures don't appear to be fully updated (only the nose section and cargo bay) which is confusing seeing as cheech doesn't appear to have had the same problem. Second issue is attach nodes on the airlock; the model appears to be upside down:

VCALQSt.png

bH6JSFH.png

Sorry I forgot to say you change textures by right clicking on the part in the VAB.

Thanks for finding the faults guys! I had no time

This was all I could do last night.

It willbe better soon

Now that I have two days of nothing to do, I'm going to go ahead and download and test this out. Really put it through the works you know?

Ultimately I'm excited because I want to restart my Saturn-Shuttle challenge and I want to do it with replica parts :D

I think from now on I will try to have iy so you dont have to delete and reinstall css but instead just overwrite certian files.

I will also do my best to complete this tonight and have Jeast add it to that download manager he had made for easy update

- - - Updated - - -

Argh THAT IS SO DAMN AWESOME!!!!!

What are your plans for the airlock? I noticed that the docking port dont work and the hatch is stuck open and dont animate. I think you should doo what we talked about by chopping the docking port off and making an attach point for our own ports. What you think about that?

Ran it through a couple of flights and some things to note:

The already reported non-functional RCS and the messed up node on the Docking adaptor were the first things I noticed.

Next I noticed that the shuttle is still practically indestructible. Straight dive right into the ground from orbit and I just bounced on impact.

Though I think its going to be cut anyway, the split up cockpit's RPM is non-functional.

Some parts need some kind of indicator to show which way they need to be oriented to work properly. The body flap and the solid booster parachutes come to mind. (NOTE: as of writing this I may have just noticed there were indicators on the Booster parachutes)

The deployed state on the Left control surface is inverted compared to the right. Fixable in-game, though the default should deploy correctly with the other CS.

The tail CS also has an issue with how it maps to the Brakes action group by default. They'll both deploy, but once you release the breaks, one of the flaps won't collapse. This is because the group defaults to Toggle and Extend, rather than Toggle and Toggle. Again, fixable in-game but it'll be cleaner to have it default correctly.

I'm not sure if it was a mod conflict or not (I probably should do another install for testing), but I did have issues going on EVA using the cockpit door. One, it wouldn't switch me to the Kerbal. Two, once I boarded, the game almost seemed like it was stuck in Kerbal mode, which meant I had no access to my navball. Also didn't show any kerbal pictures. Had to go to the tracking center and back to revert it to normal.

And finally just a noted on the aerodynamics, it flies really well and I really like its speed characteristics. Its become very easy to make either a smooth, slow landing or a fast and loose, balls to the wall landing. Only thing I really noticed that was off about it is that it seems like the orbiter doesn't seem to act as it should when you try heavy turns at high altitudes. It doesn't lose any control whatsoever when it reasonably should when my AoA extends all the way to retrograde. I think this might be due to the torque, that's likely pretty powerful. Not sure how you could deal with that without making the whole thing harder to use.

-------

Non bug related, but I also noticed some things that might help newer players fly it more easily right out of the box if they were made defaults. (IE, things I did to make the shuttle easy to control from launchpad to landing)

The biggest problem I had during launch was maintaining a steady ascent profile. The problem was because the control surfaces of the shuttle were active, they would make the entire stack hard to turn without it going way off prograde. So what I did was turn off all of the CS's controls so that they were non-functional during launch. What this did was make it so that only the rocket engines could control the stack, which made the entire ascent much more stable and easier to do. Went from having to fight it to keep on prograde to being as easy as any regular old rocket to control.

While not necessary to make them defaults, I found the shuttle easiest to control if I limited the wing CS' to pitch only, and used the Tail CS for roll and yaw.

It would definitely be useful if possible to somehow enable these controls via action groups. (Should be noted that I don't know if the real shuttle ever actually used the control surfaces during ascent, so if its realistic to have them active, then idk)

Another thing I did was to set the SSME gimball speed to 40 each and the OMS' to 100. This made flight smoother throughout.

I also want to say that its freaking AWESOME to have different pain jobs for the ET. Having that actually makes me want recreate all the shuttle missions now.

Another thing, what would it take to get some Shuttle clamps? Its so odd that no one's done them as of yet.

Edited by G'th

realistic shuttle clamps would be awesome, but they might cause a problem because of the launch clamp bug.

The launch clamp bug has only really messed up my launches once or twice, and that wasn't even with the shuttle. The launch clamp bug is mainly just an annoyance in my opinion, but realistic shuttle clamps would definitely be a huge plus.

I've had one or two different times where the clamps have destroyed a craft, but never the shuttle, that;'s not to say that realistic clamps wouldn't cause problems, but it would look freaking awesome.

What are your plans for the airlock? I noticed that the docking port dont work and the hatch is stuck open and dont animate. I think you should doo what we talked about by chopping the docking port off and making an attach point for our own ports. What you think about that?

Whoops. Yes in my rush I left my origional remake of the airlock. Sorry I will include the proper one when the prooer update is ready thanks for testing

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone would lilove to see shuttle clamps! I will put it on my to do list.

As for damage sttength its set at something like 1 billion for the moment. I will set it at something realistic soon.

We have an increadible new cockpit on the way... stay tuned!

Part indicators... I will look into it. I usually hold down alt and mive object near yhe node and it snaps to it... works for now.

I wasnt aware of left control surface inverted thanks. Will fix

I know the tail is confusing at tye moment. Disable the second and third set of pitch yaw control I think. I wanted it to be set to brakes grouo. Can be edited out from the cfg

Will look into eva issue.

Aerodynamics are tricky and work I progress. It has 100 reaction wheel strength at the moment. Looking for a good amount.

The proper release will come with a pre configured craft

Also will re read this later thanks for the good review