New extended physics range

Matt77

I haven't seen much discussion about this. It's definitely been extended, I think I saw a figure of 22.5km mentioned

Since I almost ran out of money early in my career, most of my boosters are fitted with parachutes, and it's good to see them being pulled outwards away from the main rocket and each other by the chutes.

Yesterday I installed Deadly Re-Entry again, jettisoned the engine section on a return from Mun and dipped into the upper atmosphere. I could see the jettisoned section burning up a few clicks away, better still it was gradually BREAKING up too. I lost sight of it when the solar panels on the crew section started exploding, but this could have repercussions for those of us who try to land near the KSC, raining debris all over the place...

It still needs to be farther, but I don't know if it's possible with floating point errors.

22km is still no where near enough to recover first stage boosters unless they burn out really early.

I use StageRecovery for that. It calculates if the bits that fall away have enough parachutes to land and if so, it refunds you any funds, science or kerbals on board. I think it does powered descents too but I haven't tried that.

I think the range is actually 7K...

If so, I stand corrected. It's still a huge improvement in my mind.

Edit - I just found this. Things may have changed since that post though, obviously.

Edited by Matt77

For me it only seems to work on the way up. I can recover SRBs if they burn out early enough, but yesterday I tried to recover four identical pieces that were jettisoned before circularization. I could only recover the one I was watching. The others were deleted at ~23km altitude even though they were only a few hundred meters away.

I have occasionally made such recoveries, in 0.90 as well as 1.0, but the physics range for returning vessels seems to be 500 meters at most, and possibly only 300m.

It still needs to be farther, but I don't know if it's possible with floating point errors.

22km is still no where near enough to recover first stage boosters unless they burn out really early.

In the souposhere it would have been enough. I think Squad is just trolling us...

The problem with landing parts that are far away from your active vessel is that they don't survive contact with the ground. I believe it has something to do with the terrain detail not being the same at all distances, but when I played with the physics range and recovering stages only those that landed like ~10km away from my active vessel survived the landing, father would just go past the ground or clip some way and explode.

Yes. Be really careful on ascent, too. If you drop a thirty ton booster on the launchpad, well...

I think the launchpad got buffed. I have dropped some rather large boosters on that pad and it hasn't damaged it.

I use StageRecovery for that. It calculates if the bits that fall away have enough parachutes to land and if so, it refunds you any funds, science or kerbals on board. I think it does powered descents too but I haven't tried that.

Yea, but that's no fun imo for the stage to just be magically recovered. Back in .25 I used BDArmory to increase the range to 150km. I was able to perform barge landings and boost backs to the launch pad AND still put something to orbit at the same time. It was incredibly difficult to manage two vessels ( or one honestly because mechjeb flew the second stage to orbit ) and often times very buggy due to floating point errors. Switching to and from vessels over a 75+km away from each other is asking for a kraken attack.

But I tell you it was so much fun and so challenging. If Squad were to implement a large loading range or a system where you can specify which parts on a craft to keep loaded ( and squash the bugs that came with it ) it'd become standard practice to perform boost back maneuvers or barge landings.

Edited by Motokid600

I'm pretty sure it's 22km across the board. I've been switching to and from vessels at those distances a handful of times now in and out of atmosphere.

And it's weird. The "Can't switch vessels in atmosphere" seems to have moods. Sometimes it'll let me switch. Other times I get that prompt.

52-sense-this-picture-makes-none.jpeg

Is kinda how I feel about the load distance : /

Edited by Motokid600

For anyone wondering, range in atmospheric flight is 22.5 km, anywhere else it is still 2.5k (I have no idea why some people are saying 7 k).

From what I've seen this is right, with the added bit that "atmospheric flight" is below 22.5 km altitude. Once you're above this it switches to the 2.5k even though you're still in the atmosphere.

For anyone wondering, range in atmospheric flight is 22.5 km, anywhere else it is still 2.5k (I have no idea why some people are saying 7 k).

Yes, at least stuff only loads then 2.5km away, it might unload later, had low framerate on an ship leaving my Mun base far longer than expected.

Stuff loads at 2.3 Km and unloads at 2.5 m, it's always been that way.

Very useful, too, if you want to colonise. Keep your stuff spread apart, and you can build large settlements with minimal lag, as long as you remember to keep stuff out of the in between zones.

Very useful, too, if you want to colonise. Keep your stuff spread apart, and you can build large settlements with minimal lag, as long as you remember to keep stuff out of the in between zones.

App. 6km between bases - not to bad even for rovers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.