[PRIVATE TESTING][1.0.2]Project ROCK: Rebirth of Civilization Kerbal[v0.05 28/05]

MatterBeam

PROGRESSION: 7/11

Hello.

This project aims to turn a Simulator into a Strategy game.

It will provide background for the Kerbals, a storyline and explanations for why the things are the way they are. You will discover the Kerbal's history and build their future through a series of quests that will take them to the ends of the Kerbol System. Resource management, creativity and a love for challenges are required!

The Kerbals once formed a vast civilization that spanned their entire planet. Simple-minded yet technologically advanced, they saw their home as their playground and never dream of going higher than the sky.

Over the course of millennia, they drained their planet dry. They faced an unprecedented crisis. The Kerbals turned to forming vast arcologies from vegetal fibres, sustaining themselves from lab-grown products and building bunkers to face whatever disaster lay ahead... but while their efforts focused on the growing dangers they faced at home, a looming threat grew from far beyond the horizon.

A Gamma Ray Burst.

Millions of light years away, a massive star collapses to form a black hole. The energies released as gamma rays converge into a random point in space...

Busy, overworked scientists on Kerbin detect a pulse in the readings of gamma-ray telescopes. Short and harmless, it is ignored.

Minutes later, the 'true' burst blasts the entire Kerbol system with billions of yottajoules of energy. All life is extinguished on Kerbin's hemisphere instantly. The atmosphere bursts into flame and the oceans rise as titanic walls of steam.

In the last instants before the thermal wave engulfs the planet, the bunkers are locked down.

You command the Kerbals that re-emerge a hundred years later.

The planet is devoid of resources, and these survivors have little tools at their disposal. All technology has to be scavenged from molten wrecks. You have only one option: head up, and beyond.

Exciting stuff, right?

Here's what's more to expect:

-Custom planetary positions (Minmus)

-Part mod compatibility (KAS, KIS, EPL, ect)

WIP:

-Custom planetary resource availability

-ROCK/MKS colonization

Done:

-Putting parts in custom tech tree

-Custom missions

-Custom tech-tree

-Rebalanced part cost

-Rebalanced resource cost

-Custom career rewards

-Custom pop-up messages

Future implementations:

-Story missions

-Side quests

Current Tech Tree.

ImaLNLh.png

File distribution:

{Rock}

Mediafire link

KerbalStuff link

Please download these and add them to your GameData:

Custom Barn Kit

Mod integration:

Near Future Technologies (electrical, propulsion)

MKS/OKS

88x31.png

Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike

CC BY-NC-SA

Edited by TruthQuark

Hmm, is it in mind that there will be a limited supply of fuel and mat'ls to build rockets on kerbin in the beginning?

Well, if the player is smart, they will attempt to learn ore extraction and refinery parts early-on, so that they can get around this problem. Although, it goes without saying, the fuel will be expensive.

Well, if the player is smart, they will attempt to learn ore extraction and refinery parts early-on, so that they can get around this problem. Although, it goes without saying, the fuel will be expensive.

Just wondering if that's the intention of the mod - like there's only so much resources left that you have to squeeze the sponge on Kerbin until you can get equipment to minmus. Or if it's just an exorbant price issue.

Would be kinda fun if fuel price was variable based on how much fuel is available on a simulated market - one only resupplied by the player. Would encourage players to land their refined fuel with the intent to fill thirsty rockets ready for launch.

Just trying to get a better idea of what the OP means by "strategy"

Dude this looks amazing! A simulator turned into a strategy game. If you do this right, It will be incredible.

Thank you!

Hmm, is it in mind that there will be a limited supply of fuel and mat'ls to build rockets on kerbin in the beginning?

Fuel is much more expensive and valuable than in the stock game. The player starts off with more money than usual, but there are none of the usual ways to gain money (silly part test contracts for example). The only way to gain money, and thereby afford fuel, is to mine your own or complete story missions. And guess what? The story missions are near-impossible without a way to get fuel from outside of Kerbin.

The resource gathering parts are on the 3rd node from the start, so the player will have to deliberately avoid them with an intent to lose the game if they don't want to mine other worlds.

Fuel is very expensive and now represents 80-90% of a rocket's cost.

And yes, you can lose the game.

hmm, and how will be the combatibility with other Mods? (Especial Partmods)

There will be built-in mods, and compatibility with several other mods right from the start.

Sounds great if you can pull it off.

Much appreciated.

Just wondering if that's the intention of the mod - like there's only so much resources left that you have to squeeze the sponge on Kerbin until you can get equipment to minmus. Or if it's just an exorbant price issue.

Would be kinda fun if fuel price was variable based on how much fuel is available on a simulated market - one only resupplied by the player. Would encourage players to land their refined fuel with the intent to fill thirsty rockets ready for launch.

Just trying to get a better idea of what the OP means by "strategy"

It was my original idea (see link in sig) to have a new Resource point system where the player, independently of funds and Science, would buy fuel using Resource points and replenish them with ore recovery. However, this turned out to be much more complicated than I could manage.

The current solution is to simulate resource scarcity by giving the player limited funds, and expensive fuel. Combined with limitations on how to gain funds, the player will have to spent most of the early game devising a fuel-efficient and cheap way to haul ore from other planets. Good strategies include getting the most out of the early-unlock spaceplane parts, and using lightweight drones. Later in the game, they'll get access to electric engines from Near Future Propulsion, but they require new fuels and different extraction set-ups.

By 'strategy', I mean that the player will have to organize their progress and build around their current 'fuel capacity' to advance in the game. In sandbox, you can do pretty much whatever you want. In Career, funds, science, reputation quickly become superfluous after completing a few contracts and unlocking the last tech nodes. In this Strategy mode, you have to be austere and calculating all the time, trying to gain enough fuel to complete missions defined by the story.

In abstraction, the story missions are efficiency objectives. You can reach that efficiency by building better, lighter, more capable rockets, or flying better, or setting up mining installations with the least number of flights... that part's up to you.

I have a few further questions:

1. Are you planning to have buildings that the player can build though-out Kerbin, changing their effectiveness based on their location? (ex: oil refinery(dependent on distance from oil wells), oil well field(dependent on local oil density, found though in-flight surveys), recovery center[able to recover stuff "from" here for more money]). If not, I think that it would be really neat to have that, as hard as it would be to program(I'm an hobbyist Unity coder).

2. May I take a suggestion from earlier about a simulated economy, and suggest that you add other companies that make fuel that you have to buy secondhand, but at a much higher price then what you would pay then if you made it?

3. Lastly, A suggestion to add another upgrade-able facility? Your local fuel storage tanks- the larger they are the more of your own fuel you can hold for loading. Or, and alternate functionality is the larger they are, the more fuel you can launch at once in a single rocket.

I have a few further questions:

1. Are you planning to have buildings that the player can build though-out Kerbin, changing their effectiveness based on their location? (ex: oil refinery(dependent on distance from oil wells), oil well field(dependent on local oil density, found though in-flight surveys), recovery center[able to recover stuff "from" here for more money]). If not, I think that it would be really neat to have that, as hard as it would be to program(I'm an hobbyist Unity coder).

I plan on using Kerbal Konstructs to set up several 'discoverable' bases on Kerbin and beyond. They'd have their own 'recovery factor' that determines how much funds you get back from recovering fuel tanks full of fuel.

For example, if Ore had a value of 6 funds/unit, dropping at the easy-to-reach equatorial KSC would get you back 3 funds/unit, while dropping it on a hard-to-reach polar research facility that survived the GBE with better equipment would get you 5 funds/unit.

For the moment, I'll focus on using Kerbin Konstructs and KerbinSide to tweak the recovery rates and KSC position as required. Then, I'll create duplicate KSCs elsewhere on the planet and beyond. For the moment, there's only one global recovery rate (which you define with the 'funds recovery' slider while creating a save), but I'm sure there are more options to be had.

2. May I take a suggestion from earlier about a simulated economy, and suggest that you add other companies that make fuel that you have to buy secondhand, but at a much higher price then what you would pay then if you made it?

While that sounds like a great idea for something like a Kerbal Oil Tycoon game, it doesn't fit the post-apocalyptic future the Kerbals are trying to build their way out of in the ROCK project. For now, I'm explaining the funds recovery as a global yardstick for how efficient your current industry is at converting recovered resources into available fuel.

3. Lastly, A suggestion to add another upgrade-able facility? Your local fuel storage tanks- the larger they are the more of your own fuel you can hold for loading. Or, and alternate functionality is the larger they are, the more fuel you can launch at once in a single rocket.

I won't use local fuel tanks.

The funds system covers the resource system well enough without having to actually represent the fuel in-game. That was my initial idea, and it required too much work.

As for upgradeable facilities, it might be possible to allows level 2 and 3 building to have better recovery rates and allow for cheaper fuels.

Take a look in Releases, someone has just released a new tech tree. Sure he can help you.

You might have followed the thread on Community Tech tree. It's a real pain.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look in Releases, someone has just released a new tech tree. Sure he can help you.

Umm, I'm not sure I can find it. I see Better than Starting manner (0.90) and Realistic Progression Zero (0.90).

neither of these are up to date for 1.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Umm, I'm not sure I can find it. I see Better than Starting manner (0.90) and Realistic Progression Zero (0.90).

neither of these are up to date for 1.0?

Did you mean Opentree 1.0?

Edited by TruthQuark

The last you said! :-)

You get help from places you least expect. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. The trick was to include a copy of the stock tech tree next to my own custom nodes. Doesn't make any sense, doesn't use any of the module manager syntax but it just works.

Keeping an eye on this.

Thank you. I'm practically halfway done.

UPDATE: Tech Tree finished. Moving to writing up the campaign/storyline missions.

Decided to move extra bases into the side quests so as to not slow down the main release.

This is a great community, with a great amount of very good people. Modders and testers are ever ready to help if you have a good idea...

I'll be needing some of those once I'm not completely ashamed of what I've produced so far :s

If you need help for testing, I'll be very happy to participate.

cjZXR.jpg

Hope you can pull this off. The concept sounds awesome.

Thank you for the support.

UPDATE: Finished Custom Career Settings easier than expected. Custom Kerbin Launchsite is doable without much hassle, so I'm working on that too.

Creating alternate launchsites is still for later.

I'm also planning on releasing three career saves with specific difficulty settings and initial funds that are in line with the rest of the costs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.