[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

As you can see, I have a couple of new additions to my test base. They were printed via OSE Workshop and local resources, which means the Workshop and drill are working properly now (once OSE Workshop is officially updated). In the foreground is the new EL workshop, and just behind it is a fabrication module for uh, making stuff. :) I'm in the home stretch and am finally back to finishing the artwork for the science lab. The test base is great because I run into power management issues. I really need to get that Iron Horse generator made...

TyFOQvm.png

Edited by Angel-125

Please tell me you have a set of parts planned to make a western settler's wagon style rover?

Something that looks like a covered wagon and has enough internal storage/cargo mount points to move a full camp between locations.

Please tell me you have a set of parts planned to make a western settler's wagon style rover?

Something that looks like a covered wagon and has enough internal storage/cargo mount points to move a full camp between locations.

Actually, last night I was playing with some rover concepts...

Allow me to introduce the Doc Science Lab, printed courtesy of OSE Workshop:

FKchUwD.png

BHe9bxa.png

M15Go2v.png

6eP9tg5.png

I just need to add some finishing touches and do a final review, then I can finally publish the latest release. :)

Edited by Angel-125

I just need to add some finishing touches and do a final review, then I can finally publish the latest release. :)

Ahhh! Very nice indeed. Love the new shape and texture on that. Starts to make the outpost look a little more varied and that's always a good thing.

http://i.imgur.com/FKchUwD.png

http://i.imgur.com/BHe9bxa.png

http://i.imgur.com/M15Go2v.png

http://i.imgur.com/6eP9tg5.png

Huzzah! This is the one thing I'd been waiting on before retrying my push into the black again.

Just an FYI update...

Obi released the new OSE today and so far everything looks to be back to normal. No NREs so far, RCS ports on the Conestoga have stopped firing in the editor and the templates seem to be functioning okay. This was just a first pass of quick testing will dig into it and see if anything crops up along the way. Just wanted to let you know.

Just an FYI update...

Obi released the new OSE today and so far everything looks to be back to normal. No NREs so far, RCS ports on the Conestoga have stopped firing in the editor and the templates seem to be functioning okay. This was just a first pass of quick testing will dig into it and see if anything crops up along the way. Just wanted to let you know.

Good to know, thanks. :) Fortunately, Pathfinder is not dependent on specific versions of OSE Workshop so unless the API changes it'll just work. :) Meanwhile I ran into some issues during testing that I'm sorting through. Things are taking longer than expected.

Good to know, thanks. :) Fortunately, Pathfinder is not dependent on specific versions of OSE Workshop so unless the API changes it'll just work. :) Meanwhile I ran into some issues during testing that I'm sorting through. Things are taking longer than expected.

Isn't that how computer stuff works? Solve one issue, three more crop up?

Yeah...everything is working great now!

uGrsWpY.jpg

Welcome to MuMOO-1 (Munar Mining Operations Outpost). I brought only one saddle, a Ponderosa, two connector ports and some material kits. Everything else on the Pathfinder base was printed and installed on site. Man I love this mod...thanks again Angel for such fine work.

Isn't that how computer stuff works? Solve one issue, three more crop up?

Lol, yup! Fortunately I have a solution and am finishing up my testing, I'm shooting for Sunday at the latest. This release has been tougher than anticipated but it has laid down the groundwork for future improvements.

Yeah...everything is working great now!

http://i.imgur.com/uGrsWpY.jpg

Welcome to MuMOO-1 (Munar Mining Operations Outpost). I brought only one saddle, a Ponderosa, two connector ports and some material kits. Everything else on the Pathfinder base was printed and installed on site. Man I love this mod...thanks again Angel for such fine work.

Good to know, thanks for taking a look. :) I've added your screenshot and credits to the showcase album. :)

Those structures look like they came from the original outpost

Yup, Pathfinder is a direct descendent of the now retired Multipurpose Colony Modules, and it's shaping up to be much better than before. I'm reusing and reconditioning the old art assets but also building new ones such as the Outback EVA pack, the Buckboard, Doc Science Lab, Gaslight telescopic lamppost, and more. You can expect to see a return of some of the other parts as well once the initial release is done.

Ahhh! Very nice indeed. Love the new shape and texture on that. Starts to make the outpost look a little more varied and that's always a good thing.

rasta, this is an inspiring comment. :) I was sort of headed in this direction but this was the needed push. Below are the three main module types, minus the Chuckwagon:

Yzj2HZw.png

From left to right: Doc Science Lab, Ponderosa, and the new Hacienda. They represent science, habitation, and industry. When you look at your base, you'll know that the science related functionality is in the Doc, functionality related to habitation goes in the Ponderosa (the exceptions being the Pathfinder Geology Lab and Blacksmith), and industrial functionality goes in the Hacienda- which is perfect, look up hacienda on wikipedia. Though they won't be ready until after the initial release, I have plans to distinguish individual templates by module so that if you don't have the decals on, you can still tell at a glance what a specific module's purpose is.

rasta, this is an inspiring comment. :) I was sort of headed in this direction but this was the needed push. Below are the three main module types, minus the Chuckwagon:

http://i.imgur.com/Yzj2HZw.png

From left to right: Doc Science Lab, Ponderosa, and the new Hacienda. They represent science, habitation, and industry. When you look at your base, you'll know that the science related functionality is in the Doc, functionality related to habitation goes in the Ponderosa (the exceptions being the Pathfinder Geology Lab and Blacksmith), and industrial functionality goes in the Hacienda- which is perfect, look up hacienda on wikipedia. Though they won't be ready until after the initial release, I have plans to distinguish individual templates by module so that if you don't have the decals on, you can still tell at a glance what a specific module's purpose is.

So, the Hacienda is to build stuff on site as a complete craft?

So, the Hacienda is to build stuff on site as a complete craft?

Great question. Among other things, yes. It is an industrial module, a place to smelt ore, build whole vessels, and the like. You'll have to install the appropriate mods of course, such as Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Great question. Among other things, yes. It is an industrial module, a place to smelt ore, build whole vessels, and the like. You'll have to install the appropriate mods of course, such as Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Awesome, will it include Extraplanetary Launchpads Survey Station functions??? I'd really, Really like to build my launchpad in-situ without having to ship up the bulky survey station.....

Hey, just saw this highlighted on Kottabos Space Program and it looks great!

Pathfinder was featured on Kottabos Space Program? Holy smokes! That is very cool. :)

Awesome, will it include Extraplanetary Launchpads Survey Station functions??? I'd really, Really like to build my launchpad in-situ without having to ship up the bulky survey station.....

If you have EL installed, yes. I've been working hard to get the Hacienda finished so I can publish the release. It's definitely shaping up well.

Thanks man! This has added so much to my game play it makes me feel good to know I've helped in some small way. I just love the idea of the hacienda - that's gonna be AWESOME!

Update: MuMOO-1 suffered a catastrophic attack of the kraken and lost a drilling rig, 2 crew modules and 2 storage modules and is still under attack... ;.;

R4gpk07.jpg

I can't figure out how the base is under acceleration when it's mounted to the surface. Settling on even slightly uneven ground is proving to be extremely challenging. Every base I've constructed on uneven ground has had some sort of kraken attack, usually small although this one was catastrophic. I had brought in a second drilling rig and when I left the scene the base was perfectly fine as can be seen in the previous MuMOO-1 screenshot. The kraken attack happened as I was arriving with the second drilling rig and came within range of the outpost. Once I landed I EVA'd and hooked up the second rig and made repairs figuring I'd setup the other two pieces again. This screenshot is the result of that attempt. When I tried to accelerate time to print some new pieces I got that message and it continues now. Whenever I switch scenes to that base it tries to bounce and has even knocked over the crewed reactor module because it bucks so hard. I have to actually switch to another target using the map just to leave the scene because it won't let me jump back to the space center or tracking station from the main view. No matter what I do, I can't get that base to ?stop moving? LMAO

Just as a note - I don't think this has anything to do with Pathfinder. I believe it's just the result of innate KSP physics problems with things even slightly clipping into the ground. I've seen similar types of effects when simply building things using KIS/KAS or EL.

On a brighter note I have a better base at Minmus now anyway that has not experienced a single problem at all...

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by rasta013

Thanks man! This has added so much to my game play it makes me feel good to know I've helped in some small way. I just love the idea of the hacienda - that's gonna be AWESOME!

Update: MuMOO-1 suffered a catastrophic attack of the kraken and lost a drilling rig, 2 crew modules and 2 storage modules and is still under attack... ;.;

http://i.imgur.com/R4gpk07.jpg

I can't figure out how the base is under acceleration when it's mounted to the surface. Settling on even slightly uneven ground is proving to be extremely challenging. Every base I've constructed on uneven ground has had some sort of kraken attack, usually small although this one was catastrophic. I had brought in a second drilling rig and when I left the scene the base was perfectly fine as can be seen in the previous MuMOO-1 screenshot. The kraken attack happened as I was arriving with the second drilling rig and came within range of the outpost. Once I landed I EVA'd and hooked up the second rig and made repairs figuring I'd setup the other two pieces again. This screenshot is the result of that attempt. When I tried to accelerate time to print some new pieces I got that message and it continues now. Whenever I switch scenes to that base it tries to bounce and has even knocked over the crewed reactor module because it bucks so hard. I have to actually switch to another target using the map just to leave the scene because it won't let me jump back to the space center or tracking station from the main view. No matter what I do, I can't get that base to ?stop moving? LMAO

Just as a note - I don't think this has anything to do with Pathfinder. I believe it's just the result of innate KSP physics problems with things even slightly clipping into the ground. I've seen similar types of effects when simply building things using KIS/KAS or EL.

On a brighter note I have a better base at Minmus now anyway that has not experienced a single problem at all...

http://imgur.com/a/ZKRGt

Looks great! For uneven terrain, try looking at the ground where ground textures meet and avoid those junctions. My test base is on a hill and I have no problems. I also have some ideas on how to avoid the need to bolt saddles to the ground but they will take awhile to build.

- - - Updated - - -

@Angel-125 I really admire your modelling and programming skills. You're a jewel of KSP modding community â¤.

Thanks. :) I still have a ways to go, people like PorkJet and Nertea continue to inspire me to improve my art skills but I'm getting there. :)