Does anyone else find the bird sound weird?

Runescope

I've been known to leave the game running in the background all day just to keep the birdsong going.

The VAB/SPH music, however...yeesh. Cute for a bit, immensely irritating after a while. I'm getting into the habit of muting the sound while building.

It would be nice to have some ambient sound on kerbin and other atmosphere planets. It is a bit weird that there is always total silence...

Like wind sounds and waves, sometimes rocks rolling off of mountains and espe ially, rover roving sounds would be awesome in laythe and kerbin. (Would there be waves in eve?)

When you're viewing the KSC, there's bird sound, but no birds anywhere. It strikes me as weird. lol

There are no birds on Kerbin. That noise is actually the rusty bearings of the fans in the HVAC units on the roof of the VAB.

Like wind sounds and waves, sometimes rocks rolling off of mountains and espe ially, rover roving sounds would be awesome in laythe and kerbin. (Would there be waves in eve?)

I do believe there would be waves, yes. The rotation of the planet would cause the atmosphere to rotate with it, which would push the surface of the liquid, as what happens here on Earth. Unless the liquid is very dense???

Most places can't have sound though as there isn't an atmosphere, or a transmission medium for sound on places like the Mun et al. though you would get vibrations through the surface that you would hear if a large rock were to fall, but then what disturbed the rock???? In space no can hear the Kraken!!!

It is strange when it inexplicably cuts off mid warble and all you get is silence until you access another building. Jeb must be out hunting! :P

LOL, yes.

Sometimes I can't tell if the bird noises I am hearing are real birds outside or the computer in the other room. (When the woodpecker starts pounding on my chimney cap, though, I know that's real....)

I do believe there would be waves, yes. The rotation of the planet would cause the atmosphere to rotate with it, which would push the surface of the liquid, as what happens here on Earth. Unless the liquid is very dense???

Most places can't have sound though as there isn't an atmosphere, or a transmission medium for sound on places like the Mun et al. though you would get vibrations through the surface that you would hear if a large rock were to fall, but then what disturbed the rock???? In space no can hear the Kraken!!!

I really wanted to buzz mountains with a hypersonic plane dive and hear the mountains disapprove of me and my actions, maybe we could hear glass shatter in ksc, from huge rocket launches or planes too if something like that was implemented?

Ocean waves primarily come from the wind, which is primarily driven by the difference in heat between the daytime side of the planet and the nighttime side of the planet. Since Kerbin has a sun and an atmosphere, it should have wind. It also should have waves.

And it should have tides, too.

What bugs me is that it has no real lakes. All water is exactly at mean sea level. I would guess that means that every body of water on the planet is saltwater. Maybe kerbals don't need fresh water, which is why they can go on these 20-year space missions with no problem.

What bugs me is that it has no real lakes. All water is exactly at mean sea level. I would guess that means that every body of water on the planet is saltwater. Maybe kerbals don't need fresh water, which is why they can go on these 20-year space missions with no problem.

And the Rivers... only a couple 'rivers' on the whole planet, they aren't watersheds and they are at sea level, they are more bizarre than the lack of wildlife or lakes or cities.

Most places can't have sound though as there isn't an atmosphere, or a transmission medium for sound on places like the Mun et al. though you would get vibrations through the surface that you would hear if a large rock were to fall, but then what disturbed the rock???? In space no can hear the Kraken!!

You would be able to hear the ship sounds anywhere by virtue of being on board. Even the engines and RCS ports, because of the fuel flow, and the fact that the expelled fuel is not a (total) vacuum.

Your wording reminds me of that old debate: "If a tree falls but nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

What could cause a vibration on an airless body? Rocks falling from space (like meteorites), underground movement of molten rock, volcanoes (consider Io), other landers, bases, rovers, kerbals (etc.), erosion due to radiation pressure or possibly tides of rock caused by fluctuations in gravity (for example the Earth's surface moves up and down by about a foot/30cm along with the ocean tides)

Edited by TheMoonRover

I've been known to leave the game running in the background all day just to keep the birdsong going.

The VAB/SPH music, however...yeesh. Cute for a bit, immensely irritating after a while. I'm getting into the habit of muting the sound while building.

Exactly the opposite for me. I literally have a playlist on Youtube of the editor soundtrack that I use while I'm working.

Same feelings about the music, so I turned it off, so no birdies for me :/ I think the birds should be a separate audio option to the music.

It would be nice to have some ambient sound on kerbin and other atmosphere planets. It is a bit weird that there is always total silence...

It's weird that it's silent in the atmo, then you get into space and get music. But then again we have engine sounds in space... but tbh that's a bit of realism I'm happy to overlook, a silent game would be rather dull!

I wish there were crickets chirping at night. It would add a lot of ambience.

I'd like crickets too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.