Thank you so much to the community and SQUAD.

huntingpickel

I hated 8th grade. I hated it to the point of severe anger and depression. Plus, I had a horrifying traumatic experience in the form of a nightmare. I will not describe it and don't ask me to. This on top of my severe depression really affected me both physically and emotionally. I was barely eating anything for the longest time and I felt like my life wasn't going anywhere and that nothing I did mattered. I, like many other victims of drpression even considered suicide. I didn't have any escape routes besides my computer, but even that wasn't solving the problem. I know a lot of people struggle with depression in the way I did. Up until I got the hell out of 8th grade, I was so damn miserable to the point of it being way too unhealthy for me. The point is my life sucked until summer came around. Finally when I discovered KSP and how fun it could be, I was so very happy. I just wanted to say thanks to the community for letting me channel my emotions into long ass paragraphs like this. I figured out the problem was I had too much time to think. I used to be really quiet in school but since I've been able to express my thoughts like this, my life has made a full 180. So if you're struggling with depression like I did, just bottle your emotions up and pour it all over the internet. (Not literally) At least this technique works for me. Anyway, I wanted the community and maybe even SQUAD to know that the video game community can change lives in ways that no one would ever be able to imagine. THANK YOU! :D Back the the daily grind of murdering innocent green creatures.

I don't know what 8th grade is, but school always sucks. Welcome in to the community, I think most of us understand where you are coming from on this. Don't worry, just get posting on here and let your troubles disappear for some time. The Kraken eats problems (and apparently Kerbals, and space ships, and moons, and light and anything that comes to within the part limit :sticktongue:)

I don't know what 8th grade is, but school always sucks. Welcome in to the community, I think most of us understand where you are coming from on this. Don't worry, just get posting on here and let your troubles disappear for some time. The Kraken eats problems (and apparently Kerbals, and space ships, and moons, and light and anything that comes to within the part limit :sticktongue:)

Don't degrade those in education by using 'all schools', seriously

Don't degrade those in education by using 'all schools', seriously

I really don't get what you are saying there. Everyone in school feels that school is bad. It is worse for some than others admittedly, but no one was degrading anyone in my comment. I seriously do not know anyone that enjoyed their time in school regardless of the school they went to. There were highlights, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the time spent there. But that, I think, is generally due to the people. Kids are learning their personalities, testing what they can get away with around others, while the teachers are under paid and fed up of the same behaviour each and every day/year.

I really don't get what you are saying there. Everyone in school feels that school is bad. It is worse for some than others admittedly, but no one was degrading anyone in my comment. I seriously do not know anyone that enjoyed their time in school regardless of the school they went to. There were highlights, but that doesn't excuse the rest of the time spent there. But that, I think, is generally due to the people. Kids are learning their personalities, testing what they can get away with around others, while the teachers are under paid and fed up of the same behaviour each and every day/year.

Wrote a really long reply, but I've just decided to feel sorry for you instead.

- - - Updated - - -

don't worry, it will be over soon enough, then when you are earning lots as a rocket scientist (Thank you KSP), you will look back and think that it was all worth while! :)

You're not going to get many jobs learning physics from KSP.

Linear mate, you really need to take a chill pill. You are not making sense. What you perceive to be a slight against someone is clearly not. Maybe something has been lost in translation or you have your own personal issues that you really should not bring into this.

Also stop taking things so literally! I know the physics in KSP will not get you any jobs, it was partly a joke, and partly because it can inspire people to learn. I studied Astro-physics at QMW in London and got to assist one of the PhD students working on the Huygens probe, so I know the physics is off in the game. But it is just that a game!

Still it doesn't detract from the fact that I hope this young lad takes this community to heart and it propels him to great things in his life. Depression is a monster, if we all help in some little way to keep it down for someone, then as human beings we have done something good.

Linear mate, you really need to take a chill pill. You are not making sense. What you perceive to be a slight against someone is clearly not. Maybe something has been lost in translation or you have your own personal issues that you really should not bring into this.

Also stop taking things so literally! I know the physics in KSP will not get you any jobs, it was partly a joke, and partly because it can inspire people to learn. I studied Astro-physics at QMW in London and got to assist one of the PhD students working on the Huygens probe, so I know the physics is off in the game. But it is just that a game!

Still it doesn't detract from the fact that I hope this young lad takes this community to heart and it propels him to great things in his life. Depression is a monster, if we all help in some little way to keep it down for someone, then as human beings we have done something good.

You said that everyone hates schools and that all teachers are morons. Perhaps you'll get to study for a PhD one day, and you'll look back and think about what you just said on a forum that encourages education - no matter what kind of situation you're dealing with.

Also, it's awkward to flout your education on the forum, it rarely works...

Edited by Linear

Mate just drop it now. No one said teachers were morons. I actually said they are under-paid which implies the opposite. As to flouting education. I wasn't flouting, merely giving the reply some grounding to show that I wasn't being completely dense. Though you seem to want an argument either way. Best to just get back to the game because really this is getting rather pathetic. The poor guy that posted this innocent and great post would have seen it dragged into the mire for utter nonsense, which is completely unfair on them. Let us just put this to bed as it is really not doing anyone any favours. :)

Hey! I saw the title of the thread and it really captured my mood. I see the original post had kind of a different mood though, so I'd like to add to what other people have said, that depression really is just awful. It's great that you've found something that helps, and there really is a great community around this game. Talking really is the best thing. Though while it's a wonderful and supportive community, I would really suggest talking to someone close to you about your problems too. Sorry if you consider that intrusive.

But as to the sentiment that bought me here, I wanted to say thank you too, to any and all reading this. It really is a great community, with supportive, welcoming, intelligent (and probably very handsome) people. People discuss things like rational adults, agree to disagree, apologise for misunderstandings and unintentional offence.

Edited by Rainbowtrout

You said that everyone hates schools...

I believe the intended meaning of the utterance "school always sucks" actually resembles something along the lines of It is extremely common for the time spent in elementary school, and possibly high school, to be an emotionally unpleasant experience, not something that supposedly "degrades those in education".

six_words.png

But also this:

orbital_mechanics.png

XKCD - for more of these

I felt bad in 8th grade too.

But stick to your dreams and dream of quite big things.

The greatest Scientists and Presidents had to go to the bathroom as everybody else.

Dont let yourself be intimidatet by a title of another person as you progress forward and upward in school and your carreer.

:)

And welcome to the greatest community there is :)

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

Wow, I didn't realize 8th grade was as rough on other people as it was for me too. I mean I figured others would chime in and say "yeah, 9th was bad" or "11th was bad for me"...but I guess 8th was a common place for us all. Once I got past the 8th hump, things started to get better.

@huntingpickel, a lot of us have been there too, but it gets better, even though sometimes it doesn't seem like it. Two statements that always stuck with me were from a mentor of mine: "Tomorrow could always be a brighter day." and "Keep your eyes on the prize."

Always go to bed knowing that good things can happen the next day, and never give up. That may sound trite and clichéd, but when you're after your dream, it doesn't matter how many times you hear "no"...you just need one "yes".

Right now I'm a freshman in high school. I will say it's a lot better than 8th grade and every junior or senior I ask always say the same thing: it gets better. And as the earlier posts said, school pretty much sucks no matter what, there's no getting around it. But for now, I think just talking about these things and playing KSP really does help me stay happy and relaxed. I'm glad I got all this crap off my chest and boy do I love this community to death.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.