The A-2 Masamune (Mun / Minmus SSTO)

I just started playing around with SSTO stuff when 1.0.2 came out and I wanted to share my first successful design... The A-2 Masamune!

uc?export=view&id=0ByBa_yWHU4TdWG41RFh3bHl5Qkk

It has 3 modes of operation: Air breathing, closed cycle, and nuclear. It is designed to deploy a tiny one kerbal lander in Mun or Minmus orbit and then rendezvous with it later. I've flown two successful missions with it so far and it usually has more than enough fuel to return home for a jet powered landing. Basic instructions are as follows:

1. Use air breathing mode to fly up to around 21,000m. You should get close to 1,500m/s.

2. When you start losing power, press 1 to switch to closed cycle mode. There is enough oxidizer to get your apoapsis to 70k.

3. When you run out of oxidizer, hit space to activate your nuclear engine and use it to circularize your orbit.

4. Use your nuclear engine to do a orbital transfer to Mun or Minmus.

5. Around this time, you should run out of liquid fuel in your active fuel tanks. Enable the four disabled Mk1 fuel tanks while at zero thottle.

6. Circularize your orbit around Mun or Minmus.

7. Press 3 to open your cargo bay doors. Then, have a Kerbal go into EVA mode to board the mini lander that is inside the cargo bay.

8. Undock with the ship, switch to the mini lander, and right click on the probe core to "control from here".

9. Use the mini lander to land and return to orbit.

10. Once you are in a decent orbit and getting close to the ship for orbital rendezvous, right click on the docking port to "control from here".

11. Lightly tap RCS to dock with the ship. The lander is extremely small and light, so only quick taps are needed.

12. Once docked, unboard the Kerbal from the mini lander and get him back inside the ship.

13. Preform a orbital transfer back to Kerbin. You can easily aero brake to save fuel at this point.

14. Once back in the Kerbin atmosphere, press 2 to disable your nuclear engine and 1 to enable your air breathing engines.

15. Cruise down to the surface for a safe, powered landing!

Here is the CRAFT FILE

Here are some PICTURES

What do you guys think? Is it good/bad? Is there something I can improve on? Let me know! :)

UPDATE! This model has been replaced by the improved A-3 Masamune!

Edited by Prince of Rockets

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I definitely intend on improving my designs. The mini lander has a few flaws. It only has around 2,000m/s delta-v, which is enough to land, get back to orbit and dock with the ship, but with very little wiggle room. I always have less than 20 out of 240 units of mono-propellant left when I get back to the ship. Also, the probe core is always draining power on the lander, so you have to be mindful about sunlight and solar panel direction. If you actually do run out of power on the lander while in orbit, you can get off and your EVA suit's RCS has more than enough power to adjust the angle of the solar panel. But other than that, I think I did pretty good for a no-clip, stock lander that fits in such a tiny space!

On a side note, I really want to make a two part ISRU mission involving Laythe. Like, Send a giant rover/manned base to mine ore and locate a nice flat spot to land. The problem is, I've been having trouble finding a place that both has ore AND is a good place to land. Laythe is hard. :P

I'm sure I am a horrible pilot. but I am utterly failing with this craft. I am on 1.0.2 stock (not using far). I can get up to about 8000m, but flying even level I cannot get the plane to break 300m/s. Not sure if I am starting out too steeply or what. If I do a dive to pick up speed I just lose it again when i level out.

I'm sure I am a horrible pilot. but I am utterly failing with this craft. I am on 1.0.2 stock (not using far). I can get up to about 8000m, but flying even level I cannot get the plane to break 300m/s. Not sure if I am starting out too steeply or what. If I do a dive to pick up speed I just lose it again when i level out.

It has a lot of LF, try having a 10-20 degrees up to 21km (which would take like 5+ mins but oh well) and see if it breaks Mach :D

Hah, and people said SSTOs are dead xD

Majority of people considered it dead.. to themselves :D

Sometimes all you need is just the right tinkering to get the right thing :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS: A lot may say SSTOs are revived in 1.0.3... and then we'll have a flood of easy-make SSTOs or something

Yeah, it is a bit under powered. What I usually do is immediately pull my nose up 40 degrees after take off... Then slowly push my nose down bit by bit when I start to lose acceleration. You should be at around 300m/s by the time you are at 9-10k in altitude. At that point, you want your nose closer and closer to the horizon and your speed should easily get above 350m/s. If you did everything right, a runaway acceleration takes place and you go from 400m/s to 1,400m/s very quickly. If you have a good angle while doing this, parts won't explode and you will bust out around 23,000m going 1,500m/s.

@SHiftER2O I think 1.0.2 favors SSTOs, it's definitely a lot more fun to build them now. I used to play Battletech "the actual pen and paper RPG", and overheating was a concern. I think the new aerodynamics / overheating stuff really adds spice to the game. However, in the process, it ruined all my old rocket designs. So here I am making SSTOs! :D

Yeah, it is a bit under powered. What I usually do is immediately pull my nose up 40 degrees after take off... Then slowly push my nose down bit by bit when I start to lose acceleration. You should be at around 300m/s by the time you are at 9-10k in altitude. At that point, you want your nose closer and closer to the horizon and your speed should easily get above 350m/s. If you did everything right, a runaway acceleration takes place and you go from 400m/s to 1,400m/s very quickly. If you have a good angle while doing this, parts won't explode and you will bust out around 23,000m going 1,500m/s.

@SHiftER2O I think 1.0.2 favors SSTOs, it's definitely a lot more fun to build them now. I used to play Battletech "the actual pen and paper RPG", and overheating was a concern. I think the new aerodynamics / overheating stuff really adds spice to the game. However, in the process, it ruined all my old rocket designs. So here I am making SSTOs! :D

Yea I got nothing. I tried following the plan you replied and still cannot break mach. I took off and pitched up 40 deg. Slowly lowering my nose to keep acceleration up. at around 9-10k up I was at around 340m/s, but every time, even if I level off or attempt a dive I can not get my speed going. I can gain some speed if I dive but lose it all again once I try to level off. I am using stock aero if that makes a difference, not FAR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.