question demo/full version and stuff

SoWeMeetAgain

Hello everybody

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I looked but didn't find anything that is better suited for this inquiry.

I have played the demo on steam and I really liked it. But I had two problems

1) when building a ship there's no "blueprint" mode or anything that could help me align objects correctly, eg an additional fuel tank on sidemounted detachment thingies

and (more importantly)

2) I have two monitors, had the game full screen on one monitor but the game didn't constrict the mouse cursor to the game, which I found annoying.

Are those things addressed in the full version, or are there plans to do so?

Also - will there ever be a sale? I'm like a bum with a computer and 40€ is too much for a game for me :(

cheers,

SoWe

1 - When doing side-mounted (radial) attach, you can get some alignment help by grabbing the entire craft, (shift-click) and drag it part-way below the floor. That gives you a very solid baseline, plus the lines on the floor help. Also the "C" key toggles between smooth and step rotation of parts. Refer to key-bindings on the wiki.

2 - KSP doesn't support two monitors, yes that is annoying at times. But it helps me easily write this, I just move my mouse off the KSP screen, over to full-screen forums ;)

Next chance for a KSP sale will probably be the annual Steam Summer event.

I generally play in window mode and use AutoHotKey to stretch it stops KSP from minimizing when clicking outside the primary monitor. It's also possible to stretch it along 2 or more screens :)

1 - When doing side-mounted (radial) attach, you can get some alignment help by grabbing the entire craft, (shift-click) and drag it part-way below the floor. That gives you a very solid baseline, plus the lines on the floor help. Also the "C" key toggles between smooth and step rotation of parts. Refer to key-bindings on the wiki.

2 - KSP doesn't support two monitors, yes that is annoying at times. But it helps me easily write this, I just move my mouse off the KSP screen, over to full-screen forums ;)

Next chance for a KSP sale will probably be the annual Steam Summer event.

I generally play in window mode and use AutoHotKey to stretch it stops KSP from minimizing when clicking outside the primary monitor. It's also possible to stretch it along 2 or more screens :)

Thanks for the answers, guys! Very helpful :) so now I know that the monitor problem wasn't just me and if I ever get the full version I know how to better align stuff.

But - what about future planning on these things? Is the issue with the monitors known, is it going to be addressed? Is there maybe a list of upcoming features and bugfixed I could look at?

And a new question - I looked around the mods and saw some things which I definitely would want - more realistic air drag and such. But the mods said "no 64bit windows" which I do run ... What's up with that? Again: will these things be addressed, is there a list of upcoming features and/or bugfixes?

cheers

The "no 64 bit" thing relates to the old 64 bit version of Kerbal Space Program for Windows. It has nothing to do with your operating system. That version of the game is no longer available, so you don't need to worry about that warning. :)

KSP is constantly being improved, you can see the list of release dates on the front page of the wiki, they try to have something new for paid players every 4-6 months. They are careful not to announce detailed plans far in advance. When the realities of doing the amount of programming and artwork needed to make a publicly-announced plan happen cause features to be delayed, people get upset ;)

The next major version will be v1.1. So far, we expect an entirely new starting level for the space center. We expect it because work had started many months ago, they aren't starting from scratch.

Currently, the game has three upgrade levels for each space center building (things like the Vehicle Assembly Building, launch pad, tracking station, etc.) Each building can be upgraded independently in a career game. So it will go to four levels, but the top level and abilities stay the same.

If you just want to mess around with building rockets and trying to go places with no limits except what air and gravity let you get away with - sandbox mode puts you straight into that top level with all rocket & airplane parts available.

Thanks guys. The people on this forum seem very friendly and helpful, the game seems awesome, I'm so close to buying the game ... haha. Will have to keep myself back until the summer sale and hopefully it'll be in there.

The question regarding support for two monitors stands, though. Anyone? Known, will be addressed? Is there a thing like a bugtracker or similar?

cheers

Thanks guys. The people on this forum seem very friendly and helpful, the game seems awesome, I'm so close to buying the game ... haha. Will have to keep myself back until the summer sale and hopefully it'll be in there.

The question regarding support for two monitors stands, though. Anyone? Known, will be addressed? Is there a thing like a bugtracker or similar?

cheers

Hi SoWeMeetAgain,

There are no plans that we are aware of to address the multi-monitor issue you're experiencing. It's the same in the full release version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

So today the game was off 25% on steam and I had my birthday recently... which means I now own the game :-)

I'm looking forward to playing it, even though I'm kind of curious of how big the problems mentioned in this thread are going to be. One thing I noticed right away is that the ship building is much improved over the demo version with the rotation and displacement tools!

Can anybody tell me what's up with windows 64 bit and mods like ferram aero space? I installed it (even though it said no w64b) but didn't notice any difference... so probably doesn't work. Why? When?

cheers

You can play the game and all mods on a windows 64 bit operating system, no problems there. The problems are with the 64 bit version of the game. By default the game is installed as 32 bit, this limits the memory your computer can use to run the game to approximately 3.5GB. You will start running into this limit as you install more and more mods (believe me eventually you will ;) )It is however the only stable version of the game on windows.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Have a lot of fun!

Congrats and welcome, new kerbonaut!

I'd like to add to what has been said and tell you that the 64bit issue on windows will be addressed at some point in the future (maybe even as soon as in the next two updates!).

However, on Linux the 64bit version is perfectly stable!

Cheers!

Been playing the game for going on three years, and it never once occurred to me to use the floor to line them up. Not sure how to feel right now. I think I'm going to seethe with anger at basic.syntax for a while. (Sorry, Basic!)

- - - Updated - - -

The good news about the 64-bit version is that the devs have been making positive noises about bringing it back once they move from Unity 4 to Unity 5. Unity 4's 64-bit offering is apparently bad enough that they couldn't make a version stable enough to maintain (always worked perfectly for me, but apparently I was in the minority). Some mod developers (at least Ferram, as you noted) finally gave up in disgust and prevented their mods from working in the 64-bit version, which is probably part of what prompted Squad to withdraw that version. I would expect that version 1.1 (which we've been given to understand will probably be the first Unity 5 release) or some release shortly thereafter will include 64-bit for Windows.