The Dragster Challenge!

Now, did it stop?

Yes, it did. Five parachutes got it up in the air by pitching it backwards, and then slowly dropping it engines first on the runway. Nothing fell off. Sorry I didn\'t nab a screenshot of that.

Yes, it did. Five parachutes got it up in the air by pitching it backwards, and then slowly dropping it engines first on the runway. Nothing fell off. Sorry I didn\'t nab a screenshot of that.

You have to stay on the ground at all times =P Mind you, 303 m/s is amazing.

I have to say, I\'m having a lot of trouble getting much past about 215 m/s on stock parts without smearing my Kerbals all over the runway. Engine power seems to be the major limitation--I can only fit so many engines on my racer before it becomes hideously unwieldy. A couple incarnations were so back-heavy they wheelied down the track, and one even got airborne on pure rocket power.

Of course, thrust isn\'t the only limitation; I\'ve tried a few with engines modded up to much higher thrust levels. Very fast boom. Need to figure out a good way to reliably generate enough downforce to keep the thing on the track.

Pending manual awesomesauce.

So: Second challenge I\'ve done... didn\'t fare too bad for stock + MechJeb (Kill Rot only)

First off, the craft itself:

Ozccd.jpg

svNkf.jpg

And the speed and ending point:

AeMRQ.jpg

203 m/s and I didn\'t leave the ground or lose a part :P

Edit: Also, I must say that fine-rotation of parts and module duplication are the best thing since sliced bread :)

So: Second challenge I\'ve done... didn\'t fare too bad for stock + MechJeb (Kill Rot only)

First off, the craft itself:

Ozccd.jpg

svNkf.jpg

And the speed and ending point:

AeMRQ.jpg

203 m/s and I didn\'t leave the ground or lose a part :P

Edit: Also, I must say that fine-rotation of parts and module duplication are the best thing since sliced bread :)

kill rot is like sas. so,

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled upon the challenge via random youtube KSP videos and was immedately hooked. This is an awesome idea!

I didn\'t use pure stock (novapunch & random other balanced stuff), but I managed to get up to 304m/s without major effort. Sadly I have no screenshots, but I used 0muffins0\'s general design to start. It took a lot of tinkering to get the landing gear just right so it didn\'t swerve too much, slapped a canard on the back and 4 drag chutes so I could accelerate for as long as possible.. I\'ll call that victory.

Edit: Another few hours of tinkering got me up to 435m/s. I added 2 1m aero decouplers (though I didn\'t use the decoupling feature) which allowed me to put 6 M50 325 thrust engines on the thing. Had to reinforce the hell out of the body and engine pods, added 2 more chutes, tinkered with placement a LOT before I found something that didn\'t misalign the sled when braking, moved and tweaked the landing gear again (mounted them wider, but also a bit taller to prevent chute deployment from flexing the body into the pavement) and finally a pair of winglets at the front, angled down slightly, to help keep it on the road.

It\'s amazing how tiny little changes make a huge difference at such high speed. The winglets not only held the sled on the road better, but made it a lot more stable, slight changes in auxillary engine pod angle massively reduced stresses on the body that made parachute breaking impossible, and even paring down the strut count to bare minimum made a 10m/s difference on the top speed. All those low-drag/lightweight components that I thought were fairly useless turned out to be massively important.

Hell, win or lose I learned a TON about the game and I had a blast. Thanks. :)

Challenge over

so close, just barely left the runway.

okay not really, was some weirdness on KSP\'s part.

the ship

the top speed.

Nope, I can top that first one

(yes that was some hax, I dont really know what happend but suddenly I went shooting off to kingdom come)

:(

i almost got to 500M/S.

ScreenShot2012-06-20at110303PM.png

same design as before but with one M-50 engine cranked up to 1500 instead of 3 with a grand total of 1200. much more stable this way.

still need to tweak some other things, might be able to hit 550.

only using chutes to stop (but alot of them)

EDIT: so i can hit 500+(520 in this case) and successfully stop with room to spare, but the end flight numbers are screwy. i think my dragster is rotating kerbin backwards.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Flawless victory

screenshot2.png

screenshot3.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.