[Showcase] Mini Crafts

Emergency Orbiter - Capable of landing/Orbiting Mun etc...

6 Fuel cells provide enough electricity per second to run ion at 100% throttle - has enough LF/LOX to run the fuel cells for as long as the xenon will last.

DbE1Bt0.png

- - - Updated - - -

A little fuel cell rover...

59mFd9h.png

- - - Updated - - -

Re-entry Glider,

Made this for the rescue missions, instead of just parachuting back to kerbin you can instead land in style on the runway at KSC... has a small amount of liquid fuel for landing but glides pretty well so I can do a dead stick landing if need be.

QUjRXGY.png

Emergency Orbiter - Capable of landing/Orbiting Mun etc...

6 Fuel cells provide enough electricity per second to run ion at 100% throttle - has enough LF/LOX to run the fuel cells for as long as the xenon will last.

http://i.imgur.com/DbE1Bt0.png

- - - Updated - - -

A little fuel cell rover...

http://i.imgur.com/59mFd9h.png

- - - Updated - - -

Re-entry Glider,

Made this for the rescue missions, instead of just parachuting back to kerbin you can instead land in style on the runway at KSC... has a small amount of liquid fuel for landing but glides pretty well so I can do a dead stick landing if need be.

http://i.imgur.com/QUjRXGY.png

Amazing, but...

How did you attach that decoupler into a liquid fuel engine?

And how you manage the "energy issue" that the Mk-1 cockpit used to have? I didn't notice any Solar panels...

http://i.imgur.com/QUjRXGY.png

Amazing, but...

How did you attach that decoupler into a liquid fuel engine?

And how you manage the "energy issue" that the Mk-1 cockpit used to have? I didn't notice any Solar panels...

The decoupler is actually attached to the cockpit and not the engine, this can be done by enabling 'part clipping' in the f12 menu so you can attached two things to the same node. Then I used the translate tool to move it to the end of the engine.

As for the "energy issue" there are solar panels for the second stage as seen in the below pic. It just has to rely on battery power for the time between separation for re-entry and until it gets back below 20k meters to fire the jet engine at which point the alternator gives power.

6DE0Q6S.png

I did add a battery though after you raised this point, it also has an internal probe core (so it can be sent up pilot-less for the rescue missions) as well as a parachute in case of emergency.

Obviously a space plane is a more cost effective way of doing rescue missions, this was more a fact of mucking around making a miniature plane then finding a use for it after. The small wing strakes blend really well to the mk1 cockpit I think.

I've uploaded the craft file if you want to use it: rC.craft

This doesn't break the laws of Physics in terms of what fuel mass the engine can push but it does break the laws of clipping.

fR7v16W.png

The old me used to heavily clip things inside but then it was a nightmare to refuel later - requiring funny internal camera angles to click on tanks. The new me tries to leave a part of each tank protruding the surface, as can be seen here the 6 fuel tanks and 2 RCS tanks are able to be clicked on. (The new new me now skips all this going straight to editing the craft file and adds extra resources to adapters/command pods to lower the part count and so there are less things to click on when refueling, but that's another story)

It was made for a rescue/escape pod for a space station that has enough DV to be able to land on a small planet/moon. It can be docked in series with other things and the engine is positioned such that it doesn't interfere with docking nor does the dock effect its thrust.

Throw a Parachute on it and it should land then return to orbit on Duna, and has enough DV/TWR to land on most moons.

I think with how the solar panels ened up being arranged it looks a bit like R2D2.

Here is the craft file if anyone wants to use it (designed to be put in subassemblies): Micro_Lander.craft

Action Group 7: Top Docking Light

Action Group 8: Bottom Docking Light

Any ideas why this

fHAmZjn.png

isn't able to get its #*ß+$& feetoff the runway?

3*16kN / ~3.5 t * 9.81 m/s²=

TWR > 1 !!

--Update--​

Oh, and now he just broke of the cap, is dancig between the struts, and overheating massively:

bKyh7H2.png

so

???

--Update--​

Well, now he got free and starts cooling down, but I can't control him anymore!

ueKALe6.png

--Update--​

O​h, and when I get in and out of Timewarp again, all the debris suddenly gets teleported into the air:

04sUvYY.png

This seems like a very Danny story... and what did we learn from him:

We Need To Investigate!

Investigation on it's way:

4zJkYGo.png

It seems I can suspend them in the air by timewarping again...

Behold:Magic!

NTdL4WG.png

Well, I guess this is a happy end in the sense of everyone being very happy:

xdQs422.png

Edited by Interplanetary Engineer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.