Operation Gold Strike: Minmus Mining Operations

Felbourn

On June 8th I will be airing a new mini-series that will detail everything there is to know about building a complete mining operation in the new Stock KSP 1.0.2 or greater. This series will start off with the basics of scanning, land a ground base for drilling, launch a large space station for refining and refueling, and will serve as both entertainment and tutorial at the same time. All ships are Stock with the exception of some added Surface Lights. You'll be able to download all .CRAFT right here too. This mini-series will temporarily preempt Project Odyssey to give me time to create episode 46 of that series, which is going to take a while to produce. I already have a couple episodes of Operation Gold Strike finished. Here are some images of what you can expect.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The idea for this episode came out of the following tutorial video. People still wanted to see the entire process in real use operation, and then along came my idea for episode 46 of Project Odyssey. It's going to take me a few weeks to create, so this mini-series will provide a little something in the meantime instead of nothing at all for weeks.

CRAFT FILES

In here --> PTasv9K.png

You'll need this too: Surface Lights

None of the following mods are needed to run my craft files other than Surface Lights, linked above. These are optional, but if you want to know, here is MY final GameData folder:

1IBYN0H.png

Edited by Felbourn

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go... episode #1:

This is a six-episode series. I will post them one per week, each Monday, until Project Odyssey #46 is done. That will go out on the Monday after it's done, and I may then start doing the rest of the mini-series mid-week, or use these if I fall behind or go on vacation.

Edited by Felbourn

If you are one of those hapless individuals, who might get confused by the not so obvious mods, just coming to KSP here some folder/mod associations you might need:

BoulderCo - part of EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements.

DDSLoader - part of Real Solar System

Felbourn - our generate host's private folder

LackMisc - TBD

JSI - Raster Prop Monitor

KerbalTek - HyperEdit

medsouz - Kerbal Konstructs

MP Nazari - Hot Rockets

NavyFish - Docking Port Alignment Indicator

TriggerTech - Kerbal Alarm Clock

WheelSounds - Rover Wheel Sounds

P.S. Can't find a 'Lack Misc'. When I d/l LLL I only get LLL and LLL-Extra. Ideas?

Forum readers will be able to get my craft files early. I'll be posting them each weekend so that I don't need to spend the time syncing my git repo each Monday morning. Speaking of which, episode 2's craft is up now. If you don't want to spoil the episode, you can always wait before downloading it. :)

I do believe you do not need DDSLoader installed in KSP 1.0+ since it now reads DDS files by default, so you don't technically need it there :P

It came from some other mod, actually. I just dragged and dropped the GameData folder from whatever it was in, and it dropped in too. I don't even now which one it was.

Hello Bob, RSS has been updated to V10.0 for KSP v1.0.x! I'm looking forward to Projects Alexandria and Enterprise!

Thanks. I tried it out a week-ish ago and it's almost there, but there're still quite a few things that need to get set up before I can really us it. I did start converting my shuttle over to 1.0.2 with RSS though. I think I'll finish Odyssey, then maybe toss in 1-2 Alexandria, 1 Enterprise somewhere along the way, and then start a new series! :)

The Minmus mining base is beautifully designed. I love the observation tower! I've seen your projects before but haven't come over to the community until recently. I'm a fan of your work - thank you for continuing to share.

The Minmus mining base is beautifully designed. I love the observation tower! I've seen your projects before but haven't come over to the community until recently. I'm a fan of your work - thank you for continuing to share.

Here are some pics of what you're talking about for people who may not have seen the video:

0IU2qtl.png

y3a0Z6h.png

tvSRF9J.png

why you did'nt use landing legs on the base?

nothing wrong with the design. I was just wondering :)

I wanted it to look like a building, not a lander. It makes it look more permanent to me, like you would build something if it were on Kerbin.

Mars-Colony.jpg

Episode 3 - starting the Kesla Serenity II and crew transfer

Git is now sync'd with episode 3, and for a bonus you can already get episode 4! But you may need to wait for #4 before you know how to totally assemble it.

Edited by Felbourn

Thanks. This entire six-episode series is already done and uploaded. I am showing it one episode per week while I work on Episode 46 of Project Odyssey. I can't add mods or change any craft for the videos. The clam shell fairing mod was released the same day I was working on Gold Strike #4 and did not exist before that. As for those ugly ass struts sticking out of the fairing... ick! ugh! So ugly! :D My compulsion for aesthetic crafts would never be able to handle that, which is partially why I didn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.