KAPE challenge

khzcgBg.jpg

Welcome to the KAPE challenge!

Are you a Kerbal Ace Plane Engineer(KAPE)? Do you want to try an become one? The KAPE challenge is created to put your plane building to ultimate test.

You must build a plane that flies under 20000 meters and overcomes the following challenges: You want the heaviest, longest flying, land-able, fastest, furthest flying plane

out there. You will be scored as shown below:

-Weight: 1 point for each ton = base score. Weight is weight in space plane hanger, \so what your plane looks like in the hanger is what your plane looks like when you land.

-Time: Each minute your plane flew, add a point to your base score.

-Land-able: If you landed your plane at the ksc runway and used no parachutes to land, add 6 points to base score, if you landed at the island runway or a Kerbin side airbase, add 5 points to your score, and if you landed using parachutes or off of the run way, add 3 points to your base score. If you crash landed, but your kerbals survived, add 1 point to base score.

-Speed: Every 100 meters a second you go, add a point. (EX. If your fastest speed was 510m/s, you get 5.1 points for speed)

-Kerbals: +.5 for every kerbal

-Distance: +1 for each 1000(km) meters traveled

-Circumnavigation: +25 for each circumnavigation of Kerbin

Now that you know the scoring, how about requirements and rules?

-You MUST provide photo evidence of your flight, including f3 menu after the flight has ended, 2 in flight pictures, 1 picture of landed plane, and 1 picture of your plane in the Spaceplane hanger. If you crash landed(Your ship came apart, but your kerbal survived) add 5 points to your score.

-No overpowered mods(More on this in Mods section)

-No f12(debug) menu

-No cheating

-You must land your plane

-You may use mods, but you will go on the modded leader board(Again, more on this in the Mods section).

-MUST stay under 20000 meters

Now what about mods?

-You may use any mod that does not alter game play and still be on the stock leader board. And example of this is KER

-You may use mods such as FAR, KWrocketry, B9aerospace, Kerbal Aircraft Expansion, B9 Procedural wings and Adjustable Landing Gears, MK2 expansion, LLL, Firespitter etc... (I will keep this updated)

-NO modding parts to produce tons of lift, thrust, or ISP

-NO hyperedit

-NO mods like hyperedit

-If you are unsure if you are able to use a mod, ask me first

My own entry is below:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

85 tons = 8.5 points

188m/s = 1.88 point

crash landed = 1 point

56000 meters traveled = 5.6 points

3 kerbals = 1.5 points

7.42 minutes = 7.42 points

Total: 25.9 points

Yes, I could of done better on my entry, but planes are just not my thing.

Stock leader board:

1: BlueCanary: 3975 points

2:

3:

4:

5:

Modded leader board:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

Have fun guys!

Edited by Fireking883

Yep, that's all good! As long as it's not cheaty, I'm happy!

EDIT:

Didn't even see your question, sorry about that. Add 5 points if you land at a Kerbin-side runway!

Edited by Fireking883

So, Leg 1 of my attempt, going for a polar circumnavigation because I've never been to the South Pole.

I'm using my B52 replica with the cargo bays swapped out for more fuel (with the cargo bays it can take two full orange tanks (72 tonnes) to the north pole if that counts for any points). With full fuel it comes to around 170 tonnes (I can't remember what the actual number is, I'll check when I've finished). Cruising speed and altitude is 270m/s at 11,000m but it can get much higher and faster, when fuel is low I'm going to go for a speed/altitude run ofr max score.

35 minutes in I ran out of IRL time, here are a few screenshots so far (in a wierd order for some reason):

So, Leg 1 of my attempt, going for a polar circumnavigation because I've never been to the South Pole.

I'm using my B52 replica with the cargo bays swapped out for more fuel (with the cargo bays it can take two full orange tanks (72 tonnes) to the north pole if that counts for any points). With full fuel it comes to around 170 tonnes (I can't remember what the actual number is, I'll check when I've finished). Cruising speed and altitude is 270m/s at 11,000m but it can get much higher and faster, when fuel is low I'm going to go for a speed/altitude run ofr max score.

35 minutes in I ran out of IRL time, here are a few screenshots so far (in a wierd order for some reason):

Nice job so far!

Now 1 hour 40 in-game minutes into the flight, past the south pole and almost reaching the equator opposite kerbin. Looks like this circumnavigation is going to be really close, almost half the fuel used for almost half the journey. It should make it though, as it's getting more and more efficient as weight reduces (now 112 tonnes, which means about 60 tonnes of fuel burned) and required thrust and angle of attack decrease. It now uses 1.37 units of fuel a second in cruise, from over 2 a second early on.

I really love these long, slow flights, just letting it fly, doing some revision (I have exams at the moment) and watching the scenery.

-Weight: 1 point for each ton = base score. Weight is weight in space plane hanger, so no decoupling tons of stuff while on the runway.

I understand the point of this: you're trying to avoid people who strap tons of fuel tanks just for the score and then drop them at runway and fly a light plane. The thing is, with your rule, the problem persists: I can strap tons of fuel tanks in the SPH, then I'll drop them at runway and fly a light plane. The weight of the extra tanks will count for score since you score the plane with the weight IN the SPH, not the runway or in flight, so when I get to the runway I'll just drop the extra weight and fly a light craft. Basically, I'll be scored for a 900t plane and fly a 1t plane.

Plus, even if can't decouple them in the runway, I can decouple as soon as I leave the runway, because tecnically, I'm no longer in the runway. Or I can just taxi my plane to the grass and decouple them there and then taxi back to runway, or just take off from the grass (since you don't state I HAVE TO take off from the runway).

With the rule written that way, you're just limiting WHERE I can use that "score hack", not IF I can use it.

I suggest you replace that rule for something like "WYSIWYG - The plane you show in the SPH is the plane you'll have to fly, all the way, so if you design a plane with 20 fuel tanks and 150t, you'll have to fly it."

Edited by PCanas

Sorry, I was wondering about the rules: Is the 5 points island/kerbinside landing in addition to or instead of the KSC landing points? As in would I get 11 points if I landed on the island and then at KSC? And I used http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100073-1-0-x-Pilot-Assistant-Atmospheric-piloting-aids-1-9-3-%28May-18%29 just to hold the plane in the cruise, as otherwise I would have been spending hours continually adjusting it. It didn't change any physics or anything or do anything I couldn't have done manually, it just meant I could do other things while the plane flew. Is that allowed?

Also, are you aware of the F3 thing no longer giving an accurate distance? If you're planning to calculate distance flown based on that, you'll get numbers way lower than what actually happened.

Edited by BlueCanary

Finally completed! No F3 screenshot because I had to quicksave/load a few times for real life time reasons so it was useless.

167.2 tonnes on takeoff, down to 68 on landing without losing any parts. + 16.7 points

4 hours, 25 minutes and 18 seconds in the air. + 265 points

Landed, no chute, on both island and KSC runways. + 11 points (I think)

Got to 1010m/s before I got scared of heating. + 10 points

3 Kerbals on this mission, capacity for 4 but one was on holiday. + 1.5 points

Circumnavigated Kerbin, got lost near the end, adding about 120km I guess and flew 30km-ish either way to the island at the end. Kerbin's radius is 600km, so 600*600*3.14=1130400km. Add 180 to that and + 113058 points

+ 25 points for circumnavigation.

=113387.2 points, assuming using Pilot Assistant doesn't count as cheating.

Needlessly long Imgur album because I took lots of screenshots I liked:

I understand the point of this: you're trying to avoid people who strap tons of fuel tanks just for the score and then drop them at runway and fly a light plane. The thing is, with your rule, the problem persists: I can strap tons of fuel tanks in the SPH, then I'll drop them at runway and fly a light plane. The weight of the extra tanks will count for score since you score the plane with the weight IN the SPH, not the runway or in flight, so when I get to the runway I'll just drop the extra weight and fly a light craft. Basically, I'll be scored for a 900t plane and fly a 1t plane.

Plus, even if can't decouple them in the runway, I can decouple as soon as I leave the runway, because tecnically, I'm no longer in the runway. Or I can just taxi my plane to the grass and decouple them there and then taxi back to runway, or just take off from the grass (since you don't state I HAVE TO take off from the runway).

With the rule written that way, you're just limiting WHERE I can use that "score hack", not IF I can use it.

I suggest you replace that rule for something like "WYSIWYG - The plane you show in the SPH is the plane you'll have to fly, all the way, so if you design a plane with 20 fuel tanks and 150t, you'll have to fly it."

Ill fix that. And yes Fengist, those are alright. Also, sorry guys, I had to leave for a few days, I'm back for a while now though!

- - - Updated - - -

Finally completed! No F3 screenshot because I had to quicksave/load a few times for real life time reasons so it was useless.

167.2 tonnes on takeoff, down to 68 on landing without losing any parts. + 16.7 points

4 hours, 25 minutes and 18 seconds in the air. + 265 points

Landed, no chute, on both island and KSC runways. + 11 points (I think)

Got to 1010m/s before I got scared of heating. + 10 points

3 Kerbals on this mission, capacity for 4 but one was on holiday. + 1.5 points

Circumnavigated Kerbin, got lost near the end, adding about 120km I guess and flew 30km-ish either way to the island at the end. Kerbin's radius is 600km, so 600*600*3.14=1130400km. Add 180 to that and + 113058 points

+ 25 points for circumnavigation.

=113387.2 points, assuming using Pilot Assistant doesn't count as cheating.

Needlessly long Imgur album because I took lots of screenshots I liked:

Nice! I'll add you to the leader board! However, I'll take off the 5 points for landing at the other runway, otherwise people would just go back and forth... but what is five points to that score!

- - - Updated - - -

Firespitter? LLL?

Yes, those are fine. Also, sorry guys, I had to leave for a few days, I'm back for a while now though!

Edited by Fireking883

Hi! I just reviewed your figures and I think you made a mistake with circumference formula is not r^2*Pi, it is 2*Pi*R so each Kerbin Circumnavigation will be 3770 Km, and on Earth is around 40.000 Km :)

Hi! I just reviewed your figures and I think you made a mistake with circumference formula is not r^2*Pi, it is 2*Pi*R so each Kerbin Circumnavigation will be 3770 Km, and on Earth is around 40.000 Km :)

Didn't even catch that, thanks!

Thanks, I knew something was odd, this is actually really worrying seeing as I have a maths exam next week :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.