State of Development

Greg310

So whats happening with development for this game now? Has it stopped now that 1.0 was released?

I stopped playing until they fix the memory leak/crash with the temperature meters. Was that ever addressed?

Development is still going on, the devs have been talking about 1.1 and mentioned that they think they have "years" left to go before stopping development.

As for the memory leak, it has been mentioned as being fixed in 1.0.3, though they haven't released that version yet. There are three ways to work around the memory leak, one of which leaves the temperature meters still functional.

[allegedly]

You can switch off an option in the graphic settings. Edge highlighting or something or other. Search the forum or google. There is also a mod. I switched of the graphic thingy and find the memory leakage substantially less noticeable.

[/allegedly]

Well I can't even play in the Mac version, read in the forums and didn't get a clear picture or what to do.

I want to play so it was easier for me to fire up Windows and play there, but sorry, this is not acceptable in any way for a finished version.

I love this game, but...

State of development: unfinished.

PS: Not that I wanted to go on with things that have already been commented, I am only answering to the OP.

The best info about development of the game seems to come from the Devnotes which are posted (almost) every Tuesday in the The Daily Kerbal, and the Squadcast with MaxMaps on Friday evenings on Twitch (a community made text summary of the latter usually appears on the forums shortly after). There are some other snippets published through social media outlets, but those are the big two for development info.

As others have mentioned, development is ongoing, with a patch imminent that fixes the part highlighting memory leak (the gauges are fine, for now you can disable PPFX in the graphics settings to avoid problems). After the patch it looks like the big priorities are moving the game to the new version of the Unity engine and implementing multiplayer.

[allegedly]

You can switch off an option in the graphic settings. Edge highlighting or something or other. Search the forum or google. There is also a mod. I switched of the graphic thingy and find the memory leakage substantially less noticeable.

[/allegedly]

When you get into a flight scene, press f10 to make sure they're disabled. If it doesn't work for you somehow, go to settings and turn off Edge Highlighting. 1.0.3 will fix this and will be out soon..

State of development as far as we're all aware is that there is at the very least a Unity 5 engine update, a 1.1 content update and a Multiplayer update (may be merged in some order, no one has any idea yet). However, I think we'll get a few more updates out of the game, maybe going to 1.3/1.4 - of course this is speculation.

Edited by Linear

Well I can't even play in the Mac version, read in the forums and didn't get a clear picture or what to do.

I want to play so it was easier for me to fire up Windows and play there, but sorry, this is not acceptable in any way for a finished version.

I love this game, but...

State of development: unfinished.

PS: Not that I wanted to go on with things that have already been commented, I am only answering to the OP.

I play on my 2011 macbook pro all the time, I can count on my hands the number of times it has crashed. All graphics turned down and no big mods. I can even launch decently large vessels like an Eve launcher.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-2-Temperature-Gauge-Killer

How about a "Fix all the really old bugs, and don't introduce any new ones" update, like, before more new (undoubtedly buggy) features?

Honestly, If I had just picked up this game at release, and discovered how buggy, underperforming and unpolished it is I would have put it right back down again.

This is not 1.x, this is perpetual beta.

Edited by steve_v

I understand the point that fixing certain bugs, that won't be in the game anymore after the Unity 5 update anyways, isn't a good way of spending time. However considering a game in this state, especially with such a huge and massive update on the horizon, "released" is questionable.

There are times where I wish certain games would be open source, so at least the community can fix the bugs in the meantime.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-2-Temperature-Gauge-Killer

How about a "Fix all the really old bugs, and don't introduce any new ones" update, like, before more new (undoubtedly buggy) features?

Honestly, If I had just picked up this game at release, and discovered how buggy, underperforming and unpolished it is I would have put it right back down again.

This is not 1.x, this is perpetual beta.

I know when i have major issues and someone comes and saya something like what i'm about to write i feel kind if miffed, still. I have an old machine lighting blew out my router about a week ago, I have a bunch of worn out old mods that are pretty much bandaged to keep going, Mech Jeb gives a warning and no longer reports dV like its supposed to, and I do have the occasional crash, BUT its not that bad .... I don't save games or crafts, there are the occassional VAB glitches that make me wish i did, but I have been throwing every manner of homebuilt parts at the game and its basically takes them all in.

I don't see any of the issues that folks are reporting, I put craft up without launch stabilizers, fins or RCS thrusters, really big rockets. I have tested alot if the new stock parts, including the fairings, they have a little trouble in VAB but im doing pretty non-standard stuff with them. Occassional a new design will flip over at grav turn but thats almost always a speed problem in which slowing down or slicking up the craft fixes. Here are my major issues.

The time warp transition needs to be sharpened, and craft should automatically retrowarp when they get close to a target. I had a ship dewarb to close to the Mun and it destroyed the Mun. I was only in sandbox mode but if that was a hard career game I might have been #%£*$&.

Strut coonectors in VAB have minor problems particularly in mulitiple symmetry. They also attach in wierd ways to certain parts.

Parts a heating up (e.g. drag breaking for eccentrity reduction) and not 'visibly' cooling down until backing ou to Space Center.

Engine fairings are not separting properly, one has to wait longer to get visibly safe stage separation, the fairings will cross-thru but not damage active stage engines. I could waste drag and thrust on sepratrons but nah, taint that worth it.

The terraine fall-thrus of the previous game have not occurred. Other than the Mun event I have only once have had Kraken take my ship, IIRC this occurred because of sway in high atmosphere.

There are various fail and warning messeages in F12 reloads that are spurious, sound file warnings I cant get rid of. There are about 30 cautions that appear to be related to stock parts.

Most of these issues i consider Minor. If you are having serious issues in hard mode i recommend copying the hard-game folders once a day to a new named folder as a back-up. Its a cheat if used for goof ups, but its a life saver when dealing with bugs. Of course there is always those not-a-bug game play quirks create a grey area.

I know when i have major issues and someone comes and saya something like what i'm about to write i feel kind if miffed, still. I have an old machine lighting blew out my router about a week ago, I have a bunch of worn out old mods that are pretty much bandaged to keep going, Mech Jeb gives a warning and no longer reports dV like its supposed to, and I do have the occasional crash, BUT its not that bad .... I don't save games or crafts, there are the occassional VAB glitches that make me wish i did, but I have been throwing every manner of homebuilt parts at the game and its basically takes them all in.

I don't see any of the issues that folks are reporting, I put craft up without launch stabilizers, fins or RCS thrusters, really big rockets. I have tested alot if the new stock parts, including the fairings, they have a little trouble in VAB but im doing pretty non-standard stuff with them. Occassional a new design will flip over at grav turn but thats almost always a speed problem in which slowing down or slicking up the craft fixes. Here are my major issues.

The time warp transition needs to be sharpened, and craft should automatically retrowarp when they get close to a target. I had a ship dewarb to close to the Mun and it destroyed the Mun. I was only in sandbox mode but if that was a hard career game I might have been #%£*$&.

Strut coonectors in VAB have minor problems particularly in mulitiple symmetry. They also attach in wierd ways to certain parts.

Parts a heating up (e.g. drag breaking for eccentrity reduction) and not 'visibly' cooling down until backing ou to Space Center.

Engine fairings are not separting properly, one has to wait longer to get visibly safe stage separation, the fairings will cross-thru but not damage active stage engines. I could waste drag and thrust on sepratrons but nah, taint that worth it.

The terraine fall-thrus of the previous game have not occurred. Other than the Mun event I have only once have had Kraken take my ship, IIRC this occurred because of sway in high atmosphere.

There are various fail and warning messeages in F12 reloads that are spurious, sound file warnings I cant get rid of. There are about 30 cautions that appear to be related to stock parts.

Most of these issues i consider Minor. If you are having serious issues in hard mode i recommend copying the hard-game folders once a day to a new named folder as a back-up. Its a cheat if used for goof ups, but its a life saver when dealing with bugs. Of course there is always those not-a-bug game play quirks create a grey area.

I feel the same way pretty much. Though I play in normal mode, with saves etc. The first major bug I ran into was yesterday, at some point during a launch the ship bugged and said it was landed, even though it was in orbit. Though I attribute this to possible part clipping, as I had 2 tanks/engines side by side on the dual adapter and their RCS ports were clipped inside each other (clipping not turned on in the editor). Though I did rotate them so they didn't clip and I think the launcher still said it was landed after a certain point. Haven't run into the problem since, so I'd have to test that specific launcher again I guess.

Of course it could have also been some random combination of mod code at the right/wrong time that caused it.

Oh, just remembered I did have some small issues when parts were over-heating, usually the game freezes after staging (when sepratrons points too close to a tank), but after a few seconds it starts going again. After having this problem early on I learned to use F10 to turn off the over heat gauges and don't have any major problems. I usually don't remember to turn them off until after it freezes for a second. I just wonder how many of peoples problems are due to this, and would be fixed by just turning them off.

Edited by Sma

Except you playing with a bunch of broken mods doesn't somehow make the problems of stock better. Bugs like this game has (especially on the linux version) are simply not acceptable for a release game. Think about it - you're playing a game that you can't even save on. You really think that is an acceptable release quality?

Just because *you* can deal with the game being a piece of crap doesn't mean other people *who are paying good money for it* should have to. Especially when they're paying nearly $50 for said broken-ass game, unlike those of us who have had it for a while - we payed at the least ~$12, at the most ~$20. They are paying full price for this game. Full price. Keep that in mind.

KSP is no longer in early release - this is supposed to be a completed product, not broken garbage.

Except you playing with a bunch of broken mods doesn't somehow make the problems of stock better. Bugs like this game has (especially on the linux version) are simply not acceptable for a release game. Think about it - you're playing a game that you can't even save on. You really think that is an acceptable release quality?

Just because *you* can deal with the game being a piece of crap doesn't mean other people *who are paying good money for it* should have to. Especially when they're paying nearly $50 for said broken-ass game, unlike those of us who have had it for a while - we payed at the least ~$12, at the most ~$20. They are paying full price for this game. Full price. Keep that in mind.

KSP is no longer in early release - this is supposed to be a completed product, not broken garbage.

The Linux version is not working, I have not seen these issues so it is probably down to your install. Give us some reproducible examples instead of saying the entire thing does not work.

The Linux version is not working, I have not seen these issues so it is probably down to your install. Give us some reproducible examples instead of saying the entire thing does not work.

Did I say the Linux version "is not working"?

No, did not. I never said "the entire thing does not work". Don't put words in my mouth just for the sake of argument. Better yet, don't do it at all.

There are many bugs with the linux version, but these are the biggest:

• Broken control locks
  • Losing power doesn't stop reaction wheels from working (due to above)
  • Numpad doesn't work at all
  • Camera stutter when panning
  • Right-click becomes hit-and-miss at random

Honestly, I shouldn't have to list anything. You can go on the bug tracker and find many examples of bugs that only occur in the linux version.

Did I say the Linux version "is not working"?

No, did not. I never said "the entire thing does not work". Don't put words in my mouth just for the sake of argument. Better yet, don't do it at all.

There are many bugs with the linux version, but these are the biggest:

• Broken control locks
  • Losing power doesn't stop reaction wheels from working (due to above)
  • Numpad doesn't work at all
  • Camera stutter when panning
  • Right-click becomes hit-and-miss at random

Honestly, I shouldn't have to list anything. You can go on the bug tracker and find many examples of bugs that only occur in the linux version.

They are all as minor as the windows bugs and annoyances rather than game breaking. At least Linux has 64bit, they are hardly worthy of a caps tirade.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact there are many more high and critical windows bugs

They are all as minor as the windows bugs and annoyances rather than game breaking. At least Linux has 64bit, they are hardly worthy of a caps tirade.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact there are many more high and critical windows bugs

Yes, I'm sure there are people like you who will consider bugs that pop up every time you play the game and make you want to turn it off "minor". Squad does too, which is why the control lock issue hasn't been fixed.

Also, go ahead and list what you consider "high and critical windows bugs". I'd love to see what you actually consider game-breaking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.