Environmental Mods

Hellooooo fellow Kerbanauts! :sticktongue: How are you fine and wonderful people this lovely day/night? I have a question about mods (again :confused:) This time I'm curious about environmental mods; mods that create a more realistic environment for a more immersive gaming experience. I have already downloaded OPM and Chatterer. I was wondering if a mod like the Astronomers pack has been developed for 1.0.2 yet? I looked in the mod inventory, but to no avail :(. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Astronomers Pack is not available for 1.0.2 specifically, however some people have had limited success getting it running anyway. The older Edge of Oblivion version will just add the clouds but I've been having trouble with EVE crashing my game no matter what I do. It feels like a memory leak in 1.0 (i.e. works at first but inevitably crashes after running for a while), though not everybody seems to have the same issue.

PlanetShine is simply amazing.

Engine Lighting is coming along nicely.

Even if you don't install any visual packs, Texture Replacer adds a few nice things all by itself including "safe condition" helmet removal and reflective helmet surfaces. It also lets you install a much nicer skybox and NavBall texture.

Edited by Alshain

So what do we use today if we want clouds n' ....? With the ....load of mod nobody have released an EVE like mod?

Right now I don't. I still absolutely shocked Squad released the game for 1.0 without something as simple as clouds. Any flight based game of any kind without clouds in 2015 is just a ridiculous concept, let alone one where you view the planet from orbit.

So what do we use today if we want clouds n' ....? With the ....load of mod nobody have released an EVE like mod?

EVE still works, as does astronomer's pack, for the most part. It just takes some know how to know how to get it working. Involved replacing a lot of configs with the basic ones, which mean that while I don't get the full effect of Astronomer's pack, I do at least still get good looking clouds without any glaring visual errors.

D24C06E7E9033BF0D94581C307B1A9254BAB8EA0

This is what my Kerbin looks like in 1.02

Right now I don't. I still absolutely shocked Squad released the game for 1.0 without something as simple as clouds. Any flight based game of any kind without clouds in 2015 is just a ridiculous concept, let alone one where you view the planet from orbit.
Frankly clouds just get in the way of landing things anyway, I'd rather they stay out.

Simple ? Ok, code it then ? I can tell you it's not as easy as it looks.

Frankly clouds just get in the way of landing things anyway

I'm with you on that one but I would still like clouds so long as you could toggle them on and off in the map view.

It would be even better if the ability to toggle them on and off was only added after you have a resource scanner in orbit (you could say that it has the ability to see through the clouds) as this would give it an extra function and add a little more to the gameplay.

Astronomers Pack is not available for 1.0.2 specifically, however some people have had limited success getting it running anyway. The older Edge of Oblivion version will just add the clouds but I've been having trouble with EVE crashing my game no matter what I do. It feels like a memory leak in 1.0 (i.e. works at first but inevitably crashes after running for a while), though not everybody seems to have the same issue.

PlanetShine is simply amazing.

Engine Lighting is coming along nicely.

Even if you don't install any visual packs, Texture Replacer adds a few nice things all by itself including "safe condition" helmet removal and reflective helmet surfaces. It also lets you install a much nicer skybox and NavBall texture.

I thought planet shine wasn't ready for 1.0.2. I guess I'll get it tonight!

How so ? Enlighten me.

I don't exactly think he is saying it's easy to code something. It think what he was trying to say is that for a company such as squad it would be something they could definitely do, not easily but as a gaming company it's something should know how to do. Also with the track record squad has of recruiting modders could have easily requested help from the cloud mod makers. Again I'm not saying the coding is easy I saying it would have been easy to ask for help. Furthermore I think the other point is that to have a game about sending rockets and flying into space, consideration should have been made environment and atmospherics. At least not a "1.0+" game. Something like stock clouds should be in game.

What about scatterer, does it works correctly now?

I believe it is. I was bouncing around some of the threads and I found scatterer's thread. I believe it said it's ready for 1.0.2. However that was hours ago when I last looked, and with my ADD I can't remember if- BOOSTER!!!!!!!! :0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0::0.0:

I don't exactly think he is saying it's easy to code something. It think what he was trying to say is that for a company such as squad it would be something they could definitely do, not easily but as a gaming company it's something should know how to do. Also with the track record squad has of recruiting modders could have easily requested help from the cloud mod makers. Again I'm not saying the coding is easy I saying it would have been easy to ask for help. Furthermore I think the other point is that to have a game about sending rockets and flying into space, consideration should have been made environment and atmospherics. At least not a "1.0+" game. Something like stock clouds should be in game.

This. Sorry, I'm not the best at wording things.

Astronomers Pack is not available for 1.0.2 specifically, however some people have had limited success getting it running anyway. The older Edge of Oblivion version will just add the clouds

Wait, the Edge of Oblivion version works in 1.0.2?!?

Being a game company does not magically make you good at all game visual coding. Clouds are a complex problem that can be solved in many ways, most of which would trigger the "not good enough" rants of our fine community.

Being a game company does not magically make you good at all game visual coding. Clouds are a complex problem that can be solved in many ways, most of which would trigger the "not good enough" rants of our fine community.

I feel that 'what isn't good enough' is not having clouds in the first place. EVE may have a few little issues that people might grumble about, but on balance it is far, far better to have it than not. Like others in this thread, I'm still unhappy that 1.0 was released with such a fundamental visual element missing.

I can't stand to look at the stock game anymore after playing with EVE, DOE, PlanetShine. Chatterer is pretty good too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.