Old Aerodynamics

Is there a mod for re-adding the old aerodynamics engine? I absolutely hate the new engine and its making the game irritating and not fun for me. Can a feature be added that allows you to switch between old and new aerodynamics? I was so desperate for a fix that I even made a forum account to post this. Thanks

I was told that Alt-F12 -> Physics Menu -> Replace Drag Cubes with Spherical Model is the way to go.

Like you, I find it irritating. I've played a few hours in the new model, and I find it to be in the Uncanny Valley. At least the old one was fun in a completely stupid way. (Of course, I was raised on 1980's flight sims). And the current occlusion model is poorly implemented and incomplete.

Once Squad gets the balance issues worked out, then I'll take it seriously. However, I think I'll be moving to NuFAR, as I think the voxel modeling looks like a really slick way of handling occlusion. I'm betting it's far more intuitive to design for.

Best of luck, PM if you need to vent. ;-)

Thanks a bunch! I didn't know about that fix. I'll go test it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Second question: Is there a way to stop the gross over rotating over aircraft? I could quickly tap 'e' to rotate using an aeris-3 and it rotates like almost half a circle.

I was told that Alt-F12 -> Physics Menu -> Replace Drag Cubes with Spherical Model is the way to go.

Like you, I find it irritating. I've played a few hours in the new model, and I find it to be in the Uncanny Valley. At least the old one was fun in a completely stupid way. (Of course, I was raised on 1980's flight sims). And the current occlusion model is poorly implemented and incomplete.

Once Squad gets the balance issues worked out, then I'll take it seriously. However, I think I'll be moving to NuFAR, as I think the voxel modeling looks like a really slick way of handling occlusion. I'm betting it's far more intuitive to design for.

Best of luck, PM if you need to vent. ;-)

I am now encountering an error when any of my ships approach the KSC. Whenever they get close, the ship just explodes. No explanation. Any thoughts?

Update to my Alt-F12 comment. Someone on reddit said you have to click the Force/Acceleration toggle in that screen as well.

Does the F3 log say they hit the VAB? It's a stock bug that happens occasionally. I think when you get within physics rage of the KSC, the game must briefly load the buildings in your face. We've all lost a lot of wings on the way in for a landing. The best advice it just to quicksave before you come in and keep reloading until it doesn't happen.

Update to my Alt-F12 comment. Someone on reddit said you have to click the Force/Acceleration toggle in that screen as well.

Does the F3 log say they hit the VAB? It's a stock bug that happens occasionally. I think when you get within physics rage of the KSC, the game must briefly load the buildings in your face. We've all lost a lot of wings on the way in for a landing. The best advice it just to quicksave before you come in and keep reloading until it doesn't happen.

No, it happens everytime, regardless of situation. Get close, boom.

It took me forever to find a reference to that bug:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98232-Colliding-into-building-3km-away

A) it's fairly common.

B) seems to occur after a long flight or high timewarp.

C) seems to only happen to wings. Are you getting it with rockets too?

D) no known cause or solution.

Someone said approaching KSC from the north, instead of headed down the runway, worked. Maybe try landing out in the hills and rolling in?

You should definitely post the details of your flights in that thread (type of craft, how far away you got, if you hit really high timewarp, are you using the stock 1.0 aero physics, or is it with the "old" options turned on), and if you have any success in beating it. They'll be able to offer you more help, and it will be good to pass on more data.

Good luck!

I don't want to sound like a smartass but wouldn't it be easier in the long run to go to the gameplay question section and ask why your old design ideas don't work anymore instead of trying to revert the aerodynamics every new version?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.