Stock Weapons?

Draconiator

Recently decided to try this due to some YouTube videos I've watched, and I'm thinking I came up with something that can really do some damage, built it using the Wiki thumbnails to post here; it's supposed to be a guided torpedo.

60px-Aerodynamic_Nosecone.png

60px-Probestack.png

60px-Z-1k.png

60px-FL-T200_FT.png

60px-LV-T909_LFE.png

60px-TR-18A.png

Thinking of using the Spark engine because the Terrier may be a bit too powerful for what I want it for.

Spark? Terrier? Missiles are supposed to be fast!

A bunch of Separatrons (possibly with some fins) on a radial separator for unguided missiles.

OKTO2 + small reaction wheel + the round battery + 2 Oscar tanks + Spark for a much smaller missile with a much better acceleration.

If you're going with big missiles, Mainsail and Orange Tank is it!

If you want to cause your missile to explode at a specific moment (not upon impact) install a separatron with exhaust directed *into* the tank. It takes some 3s to detonate the orange tank.

Also, switch to ( ] ), select given craft as target, set SAS direction to "Target".

And if you need to aim at specific non-vehicle ground targets have your undercover agents to flag them.

Edited by Sharpy

Why use missiles when you can use drone cruise missiles that use turbojets and descend from upper atmosphere, or ICBMs carrying dozens of RTGs, dropped from orbit or high suborbits, irradiating everywhere near your target? (LV-N for a warmer glow!)

Your craft, can be your weapon.

Edited by Feradose

In 0.90, a nearly empty NASA SRB, with some nearly empty Sepratrons to keep it airborne until the main motor got up to speed, was my stock weapon of choice. A couple of these, sometimes only 1, could bring down any building at KSC. Haven't tried this in 1.x yet, though, so YMMV.

Do we have to weaponize/militarize everything? I realize it's your game and your free to do whatever you want with it and your certainly not alone in this area. I just don't get it. It seems like the first thing some folks do when they find one of the few games out there that isn't about killing things and blowing things up (intentionally) is to try to make it about killing things and blowing things up. I have no right to pass judgment on someone else's vision for any game, especially one with such an active modding community. I just have trouble wrapping my head around it.

Do we have to weaponize/militarize everything? I realize it's your game and your free to do whatever you want with it and your certainly not alone in this area. I just don't get it. It seems like the first thing some folks do when they find one of the few games out there that isn't about killing things and blowing things up (intentionally) is to try to make it about killing things and blowing things up. I have no right to pass judgment on someone else's vision for any game, especially one with such an active modding community. I just have trouble wrapping my head around it.

Half the fun of Kerbal is building and flying ships. The other half is watching them explode.

Basic torpedos like these are just a simple way to make things explode. Surely you've wanted, at least a bit, to see what would happen if some massive interplanetary ship or space station you built went kablooey, especially if you have a quicksave of it intact.

Surely you've wanted, at least a bit, to see what would happen if some massive interplanetary ship or space station you built went kablooey, especially if you have a quicksave of it intact.

They usually do that on their own :P I have seen a few massive failures and thought "well at least it was fun to watch" but I've never actually tried to design weapons to make it happen. Again, I'm not judging anyone, it just seems odd to me.

You and me both, bro.

First: Space exploration is all about building and cooperation - because lone person is space without any support is as good as dead.

Second: To destroy something in this game, you have to build it and launch it to space first - effectively you are destroying your own work.

Third: This is the exact reason why i'm not enthusiastic about multiplayer at all. Unless it can be done on closed servers, with a group of reasonable players i can trust with my big, expensive ships.

I don't understand why people get upset about building weaponry in KSP. It's a sandbox, surely it's the players choice to do as they please, including building weaponry? Not to mention spaceflight and weapons research have always been somewhat linked in reality. NASA benefited greatly from the people involved in the Third Reich's weapons research.

The 'weapons in KSP' thing is weird for me too. I'm the last person to tell someone how to play their own game, so more power to the OP and whatever he's trying to build. But I have this bizarre emotional 'no, that's not right' feeling whenever I see the subject come up. Given that I've spent a considerable portion of my life playing games where the purpose is to blow the other guy to smithereens and rate Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as one of my all time favorites, I find this reaction odd.

I have a couple of planes I built where I think 'this would make a good fighter. But fortunately it doesn't have to be and Jeb can use it to buzz the control tower'.

To Jacob: Some of it may be that we're so inundated with games centering on violence that one that totally isn't becomes distinctly refreshing. But then people start talking about building bombers and missiles and it kills the buzz.;)

I don't understand why people get upset about building weaponry in KSP. It's a sandbox, surely it's the players choice to do as they please, including building weaponry? Not to mention spaceflight and weapons research have always been somewhat linked in reality. NASA benefited greatly from the people involved in the Third Reich's weapons research.

The NASA-military link goes deeper than that. Projects Mercury and Gemini used modified Air Force (and a few Army) rockets to get to space. The Soviet space program was equally dependent on ICBMs. If anything, manned spaceflight was a happy externality of the arms race.

The 'weapons in KSP' thing is weird for me too. I'm the last person to tell someone how to play their own game, so more power to the OP and whatever he's trying to build. But I have this bizarre emotional 'no, that's not right' feeling whenever I see the subject come up. Given that I've spent a considerable portion of my life playing games where the purpose is to blow the other guy to smithereens and rate Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas as one of my all time favorites, I find this reaction odd.

I have a couple of planes I built where I think 'this would make a good fighter. But fortunately it doesn't have to be and Jeb can use it to buzz the control tower'.

To Jacob: Some of it may be that we're so inundated with games centering on violence that one that totally isn't becomes distinctly refreshing. But then people start talking about building bombers and missiles and it kills the buzz.;)

This is my feeling exactly! I have mentioned several times that I am not judging those that do this and that I have no right whatsoever to tell someone else how to play this game, and I too greatly enjoy games like GTA and StarCraft and I even play CoD from time to time. For some reason, weapons, warplanes, and warships in KSP just feels wrong to me.

While I do understand that some have an aversion to military crafts (stock or modded) in KSP, others (like myself) do make them from time to time.

(I personally like the engineering challenges associated with making a tough, survivable stock warship that can look good as well.)

To help OP out, here's some links to forum threads that might help:

Naval Battle Club:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90278-Naval-Battle-Club

KIDI (Spacecraft Exchange showcase for miltech):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25376-Showcase-KIDI-Kerbal-Interplanetary-Defence-Initiative

I also invite them to try reverse-engineering some of my military ships, if they wish. (Link in my sig.)

I have a youtube series doing this kind've thing... so in way: it's my job to kill kerbals. But I also make, sometimes, quite beautiful films in this game... so it's my job to love kerbals too? It's weird, but it's where an interesting dynamic is created in this game. Kerbals are beautiful, they want nothing more than to explore, adventure, cooperate and marvel in the beauty of the universe... but they can die. They do die, a lot. That's what makes a kerbals life all the more precious, ie: I really don't want them to die. There's so much to experience, it would a tragedy to miss. So... I guess that's why I do it: it's not sport. I just care enough that it creates an incredibly involving story, because the loss of a kerbal means something, and that story is what makes my own series work. So, yeah - it works: but why people started it?... Star Wars. Probably.

Okay, granted, I would NEVER target a manned craft of mine in space. I'm just seeing if they work, that's all. The target is a decomissioned liner, the KSS Bill. No one is aboard, and 3 fires, three fails so far. I am also 2KM away.

Can someone lock this thread? I sense it becoming a huge flamewar, and that is something I did NOT want to happen...

It should be fine, I started a different thread to continue the discussion. I apologize for hijacking your thread, that was not my intent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.