After Action Reports and Assembly issues

I have two questions everyone! First off, when disaster strikes and your vehicles are destroyed but more specifically your Kerbs are killed, you get some type of AAR After Action Report that lists what happened and the time stamps for events. Is there any way to get this even if you manage to save the Kerbals? I have a launch vehicle and orbiter that keeps breaking up for some reason. This usually happens around 15k, I haven't noticed my speed at break up but, I'll look out for it next time. I might have an idea what's happening which leads to question number 2....

I have 2 SRB's attached by 4 decouplers. 2 decouplers per SRB, mounted Vertically. It seems like only the first pair of decouplers will physically attach to the SRB's and the bottom two don't make the connection. If I'm right, the top decouplers are buckling under the strain and the SRB's are turning inward, breaking up the whole launch vehicle. Is there any way to fix this connection problem?

F3 will open that report at any time, whether there's been a mishap or not.

Only one connection between any 2 parts is at full strength. (Except for struts.) This is inherent to the way the software works, and can't be fixed. This means that only one of your decouplers is going to have much effect. The others, when fired, merely throw their ejected parts at the booster.

I have two questions everyone! First off, when disaster strikes and your vehicles are destroyed but more specifically your Kerbs are killed, you get some type of AAR After Action Report that lists what happened and the time stamps for events. Is there any way to get this even if you manage to save the Kerbals? I have a launch vehicle and orbiter that keeps breaking up for some reason. This usually happens around 15k, I haven't noticed my speed at break up but, I'll look out for it next time. I might have an idea what's happening which leads to question number 2....
F3 shows the in-flight log. Only events that occurred during the current session are retained, so don't switch away from your accident craft if you want to read about it.
I have 2 SRB's attached by 4 decouplers. 2 decouplers per SRB, mounted Vertically. It seems like only the first pair of decouplers will physically attach to the SRB's and the bottom two don't make the connection. If I'm right, the top decouplers are buckling under the strain and the SRB's are turning inward, breaking up the whole launch vehicle. Is there any way to fix this connection problem?
KSP uses a "tree" system to determine what parts are connected where. Thus, a part may have only one "parent". This in turn means that yes, your bottom decouplers are not attached to the SRBs, because the top decouplers are already the SRBs' parents.

You'll want to replace the bottom decouplers with EAS-4 Strut Connectors (under "General Construction" in the research tree, and "Structural" in the parts list). They'll hold your SRBs in place, and detach when the top decouplers do.

If, instead, aerodynamic forces are causing your SRBs to smash inwards when they're detached, you'll want to add Sepratrons ("Precision Propulsion" in the research tree, and "Engines" in the parts list). Attach a pair to each SRB, roughly in the middle and pointed more-or-less inwards, so they push the SRB away.

F3 will open that report at any time, whether there's been a mishap or not.

Only one connection between any 2 parts is at full strength. (Except for struts.) This is inherent to the way the software works, and can't be fixed. This means that only one of your decouplers is going to have much effect. The others, when fired, merely throw their ejected parts at the booster.

Thank you, Vanamonde. Very helpful!

F3 shows the in-flight log. Only events that occurred during the current session are retained, so don't switch away from your accident craft if you want to read about it.

KSP uses a "tree" system to determine what parts are connected where. Thus, a part may have only one "parent". This in turn means that yes, your bottom decouplers are not attached to the SRBs, because the top decouplers are already the SRBs' parents.

You'll want to replace the bottom decouplers with EAS-4 Strut Connectors (under "General Construction" in the research tree, and "Structural" in the parts list). They'll hold your SRBs in place, and detach when the top decouplers do.

If, instead, aerodynamic forces are causing your SRBs to smash inwards when they're detached, you'll want to add Sepratrons ("Precision Propulsion" in the research tree, and "Engines" in the parts list). Attach a pair to each SRB, roughly in the middle and pointed more-or-less inwards, so they push the SRB away.

I'll look into those parts and methods and make changes accordingly. I appreciate it, DeMatt!

- - - Updated - - -

If, instead, aerodynamic forces are causing your SRBs to smash inwards when they're detached

DeMatt, I'm actually unsure how or what is happening, I'll have a better idea when I run the launch again. At some point I'll hear either a snapping or buckling and within 10 seconds of that, the SRB's will turn inward and the rest of the vehicle breaks up. It should be noted that this happens before SRB sep is supposed to take place so, the decouplers have not yet been deliberately fired at this point in the launch. Nothing major can be visually seen when I hear this peculiar noise, until the SRB's twist and the break up occurs. Whole thing reminds me of an NTSB investigation. Lol Although I'm sure space agencies like NASA have their own accident review boards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.