Stock Budget Cap Challenge 1.0.3/4

This has been done before, but not that recently, and certainly not with 1.0x.

With Kerbin's economy tanking the Administration team is demanding budget cuts. Rather than let Jeb do all the designs you need to prove that spaceflight can be done on a budget!

The Challenge:

Build and fly the most cost-efficient tanker possible to low Kerbin orbit within the specified budget caps.

Oxfam - √15,000

Blue Collar - √35,000

White Collar - √80,000

Jeeves, where is my collar? - √250,000

Lotto! - √unlimited

The Rules

- Stock parts only in KSP version 1.0.3+

- Wheaton's law applies.

- No cfg editing, save editing, debug menu, or any other shenanigans.

- No physics exploits, the vessel must be lifted by thrust and aerodynamic lift alone. Decoupler force is permitted between propulsive stages, multiple stacked decouplers are not.

- Payload for this purpose shall be useable fuel (defined as a LF/O mix at a 9:11 ratio). Payload can be mounted in any which way you desire, but if you are not decoupling/undocking the payload, the fuel tank/s' contents must be transferred to something (a station, a ship, an empty fuel tank, an asteroid, Val's handbag) through docking/klaw connections.

- LKO = stable orbit with a PE of at least 75km

- The base of the lifter must be close to the pad surface, preferably touching it. No kilometer-high launch clamps please.

- Please keep part clipping to a minimum. In particular, do not clip engines at all.

- Images or video of your design is required for entry, showing launch cost (less any launch clamps), fuel delivered into stable orbit, and enough in between to show how your vessel works.

- To be considered reusable the craft must be able to return to Kerbin and perform a survivable landing. We shall assume 100% recovery costs from anywhere on the planet. You may recover as much, or as little of the craft as you wish.

- Staging SRB/Boosters: If you can land SRB/Booster stages and not lose the ability to switch back to the main vehicle using [ or ] then fair play to you ma'am/sir for your dedication in penny pinching and you may include their cost in your recovered funds. If they cannot be landed before the main vehicle leaves physics range, then they're scrap ol' chum.

- Craft files are encouraged so we can learn from each other's techniques and have a repository of proven "economically viable" lifters.

Permitted mods: Visual/immersion mods, informational mods, autopilot if that's your thing. This is primarily a design challenge.

Forbidden mods: Anything that modifies stock parts, adds new parts, or changes the game's physics in any way.

The Scoring:

Naturally will be separated into the budget caps and each entry shall be annotated as Disposable/Reusable & Rocket/Spaceplane, and with the delivery orbit

Scoring will be two-fold one for total useable fuel delivered (LF+Ox = Score), and for cost per unit of fuel delivered: (Launch Cost - Recovered Funds if applicable) / LF + Ox) = √xx/unit ​

The Leaderboards:

Oxfam - √15,000

Blue Collar - √35,000

White Collar - √80,000

maccollo Expendable Rocket - Boosters Galore | 75x85km | 13,560 Fuel |Cost/Unit √5.633

Lotto! - √unlimited

Oxfam - √15,000

SanderB's Disposable Rocket - Untitled Space Craft | 75x75km | 991 Fuel | √15.13/unit

SanderB's Disposable Rocket - 007 Cheap Launcher | 75x75km |794 Fuel | √10.37/unit

SanderB's Reusable Rocket - 010 RLV | 75x75km | 800 Fuel | √9.89/unit

SanderB's Reusable Rocket - 009 Cheap Reusable Launcher | 75x75km | 300 Fuel | √5.94/unit

t3hJimmer's Reusable Planethingy - CheepSk8 | 77x87km | 200 Fuel | √4.80/unit

juzeris' Reusable Rocket - Oxfam Missile | 75x75km | 820 Fuel | √1/unit

Blue Collar - √35,000

Norcalplanner's Reusable Rocket - Cheap Fuel 2 | 75x82km | 800 Fuel | √6.45/unit

maccollo's Reusable Rocket - Sustainer is love | 72x74km | 4,000 Fuel | √6.46*/unit - includes √1/unit penalty for not reaching required orbit

SanderB's Reusable Rocket - 014 RLV | 75x75km | 3,200 Fuel | √3.83/unit

White Collar - √80,000

SanderB's Reusable Spaceplane - 001 SSTO | 75x75 | 1400 Fuel | √2.09/unit

Norcalplanner's Reusable Rocket - Cheap Fuel 3 | 75x83km | 7,200 Fuel | √3.06

Lotto! - √unlimited

Formatting and many words stolen shamelessly from Red Iron Crown's Payload Challenge

Edited by FlipNascar
Scores

Cool Challenge... I did a pretty cost efficient rocket a couple weeks ago as part of another challenge. The link to the album of this rocket is below.

http://imgur.com/a/Ilcow

I have yet figured out the correct way to actually post the album on the actual forum post itself, please forgive me...

Tone.

Tone, to get the album to show you can use the Imgur tag, and the letters/numbers after the /a/. So for your example you would use: (imgur)Ilcow(/imgur) - and replace the ( ) with [ and ] You can also find a full list of the KSP BBCodes and it explains how to use them too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Although as it stands, I can't accept that album as a standalone entry. You would need to do a flight and record the details and provide the calculations for it to be eligible. But it would certainly be a viable entry for the Oxfam class!

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a little entry:

http://youtu.be/BwsiZ3rzSV4

I hope it fullfills all the rules:

Type: Expendable Launch Vehicle

Launch cost: 14,989√

LF+OX: 991

Cost / LFO: 15.13√

Legit. Welcome and er imaginary badge for being the first Oxfam contestant! You have been added to the leaderboard.

Heres another attempt that went significantly cheaper.

Launch cost: 8,230√ (400√ less due to recovery of launchpad Stability Enhancers)

LF+OX: 794

Cost / LFO: 10.37√

Tone, to get the album to show you can use the Imgur tag, and the letters/numbers after the /a/. So for your example you would use: (imgur)Ilcow(/imgur) - and replace the ( ) with [ and ] You can also find a full list of the KSP BBCodes and it explains how to use them too.

http://imgur.com/a/Ilcow

Although as it stands, I can't accept that album as a standalone entry. You would need to do a flight and record the details and provide the calculations for it to be eligible. But it would certainly be a viable entry for the Oxfam class!

Cool, I will do a different flight with that craft a little later... How do you get the STS badges that I see on the bottom of your post to appear below mine as well? Those look awesome :)

Thanks

Tone

Heres another attempt that went significantly cheaper.

http://youtu.be/t5BdleSNIFU

Launch cost: 8,230√ (400√ less due to recovery of launchpad Stability Enhancers)

LF+OX: 794

Cost / LFO: 10.37√

Added this entry. Have you considered adding a decoupler and de-orbiting what remains? Remember it just has to survive the landing we're not fussed about where it lands for this challenge.

Cool, I will do a different flight with that craft a little later... How do you get the STS badges that I see on the bottom of your post to appear below mine as well? Those look awesome :)

Thanks

Tone

To earn those badges you need to check out inigma's STS Space Shuttle thread where you can download the Shuttle and it links to the challenge thread - not sure what state the challenge is in given the switch in aerodynamics.

Any problem with slapping probe cores and parachutes on SRBs or other booster stages? Usually it doesn't pencil out to do so, but your rule for 100% recovery value might make such a strategy viable.

You're right that does... Thanks for asking and raising this point. I would include this under Wheaton's Law, unless you were able to demonstrably land the SRBs/Booster Packs while within physics range of the main launch vehicle, we'll assume they're scrap.

Rules updated to reflect this: If you can land SRB/Booster stages and not lose the ability to switch back to the main vehicle using [ or ] then fair play to you sir for your dedication in penny pinching and you may include their cost in your recovered funds.

- - - Updated - - -

Agggh I just got 948 units with the Oxfam challenge :-(

It's not just about total fuel delivered! It's also about the end cost per unit of fuel delivered. If you can recover some of the launch vehicle then you are significantly reducing the cost per unit.

Blue collar entry "Sustainer is love".

Costs √34988

Salvaged √13140 worth of equipment.

launched 4000 units of fuel at 5.462 funds per fuel.

Hopefully I didn't break any rules :)

I must say that solids are amazingly cost effective as boosters. Anyway, I was surprised by hows mall the gains where from reusing the sustainer stage. This thing is cheaper than a similar configuration in expendable mode, but only by about 20% (The best result I got with the expendable was about 6.73 funds per unit of fuel), and since I wouldn't actually get all the funds back the advantage is even smaller.

SIL1.png

SIL2.png

Edited by maccollo

Costs √34988

I must say that solids are amazingly cost effective as boosters. Anyway, I was surprised by hows mall the gains where from reusing the sustainer stage. This thing is cheaper than a similar configuration in expendable mode, but only by about 20% (The best result I got with the expendable was about 6.73 funds per unit of fuel), and since I wouldn't actually get all the funds back the advantage is even smaller.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SIL1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/SIL2.png

I like your landing system - much more realistic than my system of landing on the engine in the water. I may "borrow" it... ;-)

Here's the scaled up version of my previous entry. Originally supposed to be a White Collar entry, but I got the cutoff point wrong so it ends up being a Jeeves entry. Yes, it's a bit gamey, but it gets 7,200 units of LF/O into orbit for a cost of 22,067, or 3.065 funds per unit. Enjoy.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Norcalplanner

And just in case people aren't aware, there was some good discussion a few weeks ago regarding nose cones and how effective the various types are. I've become a convert to the "A" tail piece for these sorts of challenges, just because the aero is so stinking good. Second runner up is the advanced nose cone type "A". The old blue nose cone isn't very good in comparison - its only advantage is lower cost. More info here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122595-Some-rough-test-results-with-different-nosecones?highlight=fairing+drag

Here's a blue collar entry, the Cheap Fuel 2. It delivers a full FLT-800 with a docking port to orbit, then the SSTO rocket lifter deorbits. Net cost is 5,160, or 6.45 funds per unit of LF/O.

http://imgur.com/a/RaoYd

Here's the scaled up version of my previous entry. Originally supposed to be a White Collar entry, but I got the cutoff point wrong so it ends up being a Jeeves entry. Yes, it's a bit gamey, but it gets 7,200 units of LF/O into orbit for a cost of 22,067, or 3.065 funds per unit. Enjoy.

http://imgur.com/a/ZQC5X

Norcalplanner: I've had rockets where you need to hit that recover button PDQ! It's just part of the design right? ;) Entries added.

Costs √34988

....snip...

Maccollo: Technically you didn't complete the challenge because your Periapsis was not above 75km. However, given that you had 280m/s of Delta-V remaining before you detached the payload, I will accept the entry as you had more than enough DV to achieve the required orbit, and still deorbit your craft thereafter. That's why I'm adding a √1/unit penalty to your cost/unit.

I'm also certainly not going to rip off the landing gear idea for easier landings in the future. No sir. Not even all the time...

Edited by FlipNascar

Added this entry. Have you considered adding a decoupler and de-orbiting what remains? Remember it just has to survive the landing we're not fussed about where it lands for this challenge.

Does this count?

Type: RLV

Expended Funds: √14,902 - √6,590 (recovery) - √400 (launchpad stability enhancers) = √7,912

Fuel to Orbit: 800

Cost / Unit: √9.89

Recovery seems to have dramatically decreased the price per unit of LFO with this new and improved RLV

Also, Another attempt:

Expended Funds: √1,783 <- √918 (10t LFO) + √120 (1.5t Solid Fuel) + √745 (Payload)

Fuel to Orbit: 300

Cost / Unit= √5.94

I believe this vessel is the best one. I didn't factor in the launch cost because the entire launch vehicle without payload was recovered.

I'm not sure that I can get it much lower within √15,000

One for the √35,000 Budget

Expended Funds: √12,262 <- √8,812 (96t LFO) + √3,450 (Payload)

Fuel to Orbit: 3200

Cost / Unit= √3.83

http://youtu.be/jPBIs2wrV4g

Does this count?

Expended Funds: √14,902 - √6,590 (recovery) - √400 (launchpad stability enhancers) = √7,912

Fuel to Orbit: 800

Cost / Unit: √9.89

Recovery seems to have dramatically decreased the price per unit of LFO with this new and improved RLV

Also, Another attempt:

http://youtu.be/SiW3lZMPgcg

Expended Funds: √1,783 <- √918 (10t LFO) + √120 (1.5t Solid Fuel) + √745 (Payload)

Fuel to Orbit: 300

Cost / Unit= √5.94

I believe this vessel is the best one. I didn't factor in the launch cost because the entire launch vehicle without payload was recovered.

I'm not sure that I can get it much lower within √15,000

One for the √35,000 Budget

http://youtu.be/_oisHriDHaI

Expended Funds: √12,262 <- √8,812 (96t LFO) + √3,450 (Payload)

Fuel to Orbit: 3200

Cost / Unit= √3.83

Added these entries. However your 014 RLV calculations seem a bit off... Payload cost was √3,450 and your fuel bill was √5,363, therefore your total expenditure was only √8,813, therefore giving you a unit cost of √2.75. Or at least those are the numbers I get from your VAB portion of the video.

Added these entries. However your 014 RLV calculations seem a bit off... Payload cost was √3,450 and your fuel bill was √5,363, therefore your total expenditure was only √8,813, therefore giving you a unit cost of √2.75. Or at least those are the numbers I get from your VAB portion of the video.

In my calculations 96t of fuel from the booster stage is valued at √8,812.8, as 1t of LFO is √91.8. The value of the entire vehicle without booster fuel is √26,173 and with the fuel it is √34,986, the difference is √8,813 combined with the payload that's √12,263 expended.

A spaceplane attempt for the √80,000 Category

Type: Spaceplane (001 Spaceplane)

Expended Funds: √2,921 <- √1,174 (LF) √172.3 (O) √1,575 (Payload) *Fuel used was calculated based on what was left at landing.

LFO To orbit: 1400

Cost / LFO: √2.09

Edited by SanderB

Oxfam Missile, somewhat unsurprisingly, submitted for the Oxfam level. I honestly don't know if it's a spaceplane or a rocket, but it's fully reusable, and on the test flight delivered 820 units of fuel (9:11 LF+O mix) to 75x75 LKO.

It costs 13 742 at launch, 12 917 dry, and I recovered 6 funds worth of fuel, so total flight cost is 819. So for all practical purposes delivered funds to LKO for 1 fund per unit of fuel including the cost of said fuel. For non-practical purposes, that's 0.99878 funds per unit.

Craft file included for those interested: http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Oxfam-Missile.craft

Oxfam Missile, somewhat unsurprisingly, submitted for the Oxfam level. I honestly don't know if it's a spaceplane or a rocket, but it's fully reusable, and on the test flight delivered 820 units of fuel (9:11 LF+O mix) to 75x75 LKO.

It costs 13 742 at launch, 12 917 dry, and I recovered 6 funds worth of fuel, so total flight cost is 819. So for all practical purposes delivered funds to LKO for 1 fund per unit of fuel including the cost of said fuel. For non-practical purposes, that's 0.99878 funds per unit.

Craft file included for those interested: http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Oxfam-Missile.craft

Creative use of the claw, but not very scaleable. Somehow I can't see a 100-ton station lurching towards a small spaceplane, with claw outstretched... :-)

Creative use of the claw, but not very scaleable. Somehow I can't see a 100-ton station lurching towards a small spaceplane, with claw outstretched... :-)

All you'd need is an appropriately sized tanker craft that can go between the space plane and the station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.