PS4 Release Pros and Cons

Jon144

The Good And The Bad

ar5MWfr.png

(image credited to squad)

A few days ago I and many others shared negative feedback about the proposed port of KSP to PS4. After a long time of reflecting and more news from squad, I have acquired a more positive outlook on the situation. This does not mean I and everyone else were completely out of hand with our original response. I am here to share my new feelings on the current situation and offer constructive criticism.

Let's first look at the bad (or more correctly what people think the move to PS4 will do to the game) and analyze why there has been so much negative feedback so far.

• By moving to PS4 players think squad will neglect to further develop the PC version of the game.
  • Version 1.0 of the game was released in a very rough and rushed condition. Many are still upset and really want to see another update. (The larger landing gears do not even come with a rolling animation, steering etc.)
  • Players really want to see further optimization of the game including a move to Unity 5 and a release of a stable x64 bit version.
  • Many claim that the port to PS4 is a simple money grab by squad and are doing it just for the sake of doing it.
  • A variety of bugs and glitches still exist in the game and in version 1.0 crashes even more than previous releases.
  • Opening the game to the console community might bring in a large number of younger and immature forum members.
  • The studio tasked with porting the game to PS4 is fairly inexperienced and unknown, working primarily on cheap mobile games.

This sounds like a lot and there certainly is more to be said... But most of these claims are not entirely founded in reality. In fact, opening the game to PS4 could bring in quite a few benefits.

• Squad has recently shared that the PS4 port is only increasing the pace of development on the PC version.
  • Squad shared in the most recent development notes that their current project is moving the PC version to Unity 5.
  • Unity 5 will finally bring a feature players have been looking for ages: Multi-core support. The part count limit for vessels will be staggering.
  • The move to Unity 5 itself will probably bring in a whole new wave of bugs and glitches to the game. So it makes logical sense that they are waiting to fix these things until a future date.
  • The entire wheels and landing gear system will be totally re-done. Modular wheels will now be a thing in stock KSP. So again... why fix the pre-existing problems with stuff that will inevitably be replaced anyways?
  • It has been confirmed the PC version and PS4 version will be separate. If the studio squad hired fails miserably it wont mean anything to us.
  • Even if this move to PS4 is "a money grab" why is that a bad thing? Unfortunately I must admit the console market is huge... Why is more money for the developers a bad thing? More money can mean more resources later for developing the PC version.
  • As far as having immature forum members joining the community... I hardly believe that is too much of a possibility. I doubt that type of audience would ever want to join the forums in the first place.

So in conclusion... Although there is such a huge flame in the community right now I do not entirely believe that is warranted. I realized if we really want to see continued the development I don't think the best way to do that is express hatred for these recent decisions. Instead we should try to highlight what positives there are from the situation.

Some have pointed out that some of squad's recent development notes have indicated they are caring less for the existing community. But they are developers after all... not PR spokesmen. I don't think it would be unreasonable to hire some people specifically to cater more towards the community as that interaction has been very limited recently. But for the most part we should just let them do what they are good at. I am not overwhelmingly happy for the recent news either but although there could be negatives surrounding the situation there are definitely positives too.

Edited by Jon144

But most of these claims are not entirely founded in reality.

Then why repeat them again? Most of the items on that top list are speculations based on ignorance, if not actively debunked by SQUAD.

PS4 pro and con list.

AKA

Wild speculation and issue parroting megathread.

Seriously, if you are going to make a pro-con list, at least list actual issues and not theoretical ones.

That is exactly the problem. All of the issues raised by everyone at the moment is purely theoretical. The thing people are forgetting is that there is a great opportunity here. Things may look sketchy right now but by the end we may have forgotten why there was so much unrest.

Edited by Jon144

Honestly, I couldn't care less about this god dang PS4 port. It's by another company entirely and PC won't be affected. If this fails, oh well, Squad and KSP PC will be fine.

Now that is just blank pessimism talking. If you read Harvester's article, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5 , you would see that the port is actually adding the benefit of speeding the upgrade of the game to Unity 5, a move which is very likely to improve things a lot.

Sadly, this kind of reactionary ignorance is what the OP is also guilty of, and yet they felt the need to compound on it with even more blank speculation even after learning more about the PS4 port. Even if it doesn't apply to you as a PC user, it still actually can affect and benefit your own experience with more people being involved.

I can actually understand there being some cynical feelings, with all the bad ports that have been done in the past, but those have actually begun to reduce in numbers as more developers and publishers have been paying attention to the players. Even Rockstar, with its reputation of being biased to consoles, put some extra work into their PC port of GTA V.

Making threads about speculation and kneejerk criticism with zero facts applied is derogatory to the developers, and tarnishes the game in itself. I prefer to wait for the finished product and see what comes.

Now that is just blank pessimism talking. If you read Harvester's article, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/345-KSP-and-Unity-5 , you would see that the port is actually adding the benefit of speeding the upgrade of the game to Unity 5, a move which is very likely to improve things a lot.

Sadly, this kind of reactionary ignorance is what the OP is also guilty of, and yet they felt the need to compound on it with even more blank speculation even after learning more about the PS4 port. Even if it doesn't apply to you as a PC user, it still actually can affect and benefit your own experience with more people being involved.

I can actually understand there being some cynical feelings, with all the bad ports that have been done in the past, but those have actually begun to reduce in numbers as more developers and publishers have been paying attention to the players. Even Rockstar, with its reputation of being biased to consoles, put some extra work into their PC port of GTA V.

Making threads about speculation and kneejerk criticism with zero facts applied is derogatory to the developers, and tarnishes the game in itself. I prefer to wait for the finished product and see what comes.

Pessimism? I'm the total opposite! I do not believe in the theoretical complaints and the empty predictions that KSP PS4 will go wrong. My apologies, I need to explain a lot better what I'm getting at.

I hate console gaming. I just don't like the competition between companies, the price of games, and the console community as a whole. I started gaming with the PC, and I don't want to play on anything else. That is why I "don't care" how the PS4 port goes; no matter what, I won't be playing it anytime soon. As such, I have no opinion over the whole matter except that I hope this does turn out for the best. I won't deny the fact that there is not enough information for a just decision.

Sorry if I don't get my facts straight, I've been a bit out of the KSP community lately and I wouldn't be surprised if some stuff went under my radar. :(

I really could care less about the ps4 release. As long as it doesn't affect the PC game I'm fine.

PC master race ftw (and nintendo because who doesn't like them [not a question]).

Same. :) I trust Squad they've made a good decision going with a different company.