Space plane inline decoupler

Now, I have no idea off the top of my head what the fuselages / fuel tanks are that space planes uses, but here's my suggestion:

The strange flat fuel tank fuselage on space planes should have its own inline decoupler. I'm either stupid or there isn't one already

It would be nice to have them!

Stages on a plane? Doesn't sound too drastic does it?

Usages:

Messing about

Staging on planes

Fuel staging

Landers on planes

Easier socking with smaller parts

Thanks!

If these are already in the game, feel free to lock :)

I never understood why would we need those. IRL planes don't need such things. At least not those I am aware of. Decoupling a part of fuselage of your plane would seriously mess up it's aerodynamics and CoM. Mk2 parts are dedicated for atmo uses. And you want those to take-off and land in one piece. For other stuff you take long cylinders.

Edited by Veeltch

@veeltch I always liked to put a parachute or two on the cockpit, and a decoupler immediately behind. For some of my more experimental aircraft it can be a lifesaver. (Especially in any kind of un-recoverable tumble/spin where the ground is rushing up to greet you, and any earth-pilot would simply eject.)

I never understood why would we need those. IRL planes don't need such things. At least not those I am aware of. Decoupling a part of fuselage of your plane would seriously mess up it's aerodynamics and CoM. Mk2 parts are dedicated for atmo uses. And you want those to take-off and land in one piece. For other stuff you take long cylinders.

Ah, but this isn't real life -- this is Kerbal Space Program! Isn't that the point? :D More power to the player is a good thing in my opinion.

Nuclear engines use LF only, the Mk2 and Mk3 LF tanks are among the best for orbital vessels using them.

We have no ejection seats, so a cockpit that can decouple and pop a chute can be a lifesaver.

Off topic, but why would MK 2 parts be dedicated to atmospheric use?

They're not, but they do add some mass compared to cylindrical tanks to make them into lifting bodies.

Ah, but this isn't real life -- this is Kerbal Space Program! Isn't that the point? :D More power to the player is a good thing in my opinion.

I'd rather have an inline Mk2 VTOL engine tbh.

There's some precedent...

640px-F-111E_Escape_Pod.JPG

SkyDiver didn't have a cylindrical fuselage.

latest?cb=20110428181826

I don't know what that is and google doesn't help.

Ok, got it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydiver_(submarine)

But it's fictional so it doesn't count. I was talking about actual aircraft that flew IRL, not sci-fi ones.

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.