Strangest/Kerbalest aircraft

A35K

Here are some of the strangest and most Kerbal aircraft that existed.

What do you do when you have a very good fighter and need a larger version? Stick 2 of them together, of course! The F-82 Twin Mustang:

RYgSdxq.jpg

You can't decide wether to build a boat or a plane? Make both in one! The Soviet "Caspian Sea Monster" Ekranoplan:

yZk3eUj.jpg

Need a very light scout airplane that can be easily carried around? Make it inflatable! Here is the Goodyear GA-33 Inflatoplane, produced for the U.S. Air Force, comes complete with inflatable fuselage and non-inflatable engine!

yYTvqfN.jpg

Can you find any others?:D

The Soviet Bartini Beriev VVA-14:

vva14-2.jpg

vva14-4.jpg

2152800.jpg

It was made to take off from land and water and fly at both high altitudes and very, very close to water, using ground effect to almost float over the water. The water flight capability was put in so that the plane could destroy US Naval submarines, but only 2 prototypes were ever built.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember making one of those in KSP. Hard to build and hard to stop, but it took off at 30 M/S and flew like a dream.

Focke-Wulf Triebflügel

triebflugel.jpg

As far as I know this design never would work due to problems with fuel distribution to the wingtip engines. Plus, counteracting the torque of the spinning airfoil would have been troublesome.

Edited by Justicier

Focke-Wulf Triebflügel

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OZQ2UxgFSKg/TnciDzRYVjI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/Hxm4itQeNKw/w800-h800/triebflugel.jpg

As far as I know this design never would work due to problems with fuel distribution to the wingtip engines. Plus, counteracting the torque of the spinning airfoil would have been troublesome.

Oh my gosh XD It looks like a helicopter with illnesses!

vulcan_bomber__fly_by_1_by_sceptre63-d5cvekm.jpg

Vulcan bomber, otherwise known as the "I wonder what happens if I stick the giant wings on the Mk1 fuselage. Then add 4 engines."

As an added bonus, it also sounds as loud as KSP does before you re-adjust the volume levels.

And is it too soon to make a joke about SpaceShipTwo being the "Kerbalest" aircraft? :sealed:

Cannot believe this one ain't been posted yet!

spruce-goose.jpg

The Spruce Goose, made of WOOD

And not the weirdest, but certainly VERY, VERY, VERY Kerbal. (And one of my favorite aircrafts of all time)

Pilot_Neil_Armstrong_and_X-15_-1_-_GPN-2000-000121.jpg

(Yes that is Neil Armstrong!)

Wait... I hadn't noticed the ports on the nose of the X-15 before. Did that thing have RCS?

Yeah, it did have RCS.

In figure 7 we get to where you can see some of the internal arrangements, and I will point out some of the points of interest. First, starting at the nose of the X-15, you will note the location of the pitch and yaw thrusters. These are powered by passing hydrogen peroxide over a catalyst and turning it into a high-pressure, high-temperature gas that is expelled through a nozzle producing a thrust of 40 to I 10 IN There are eight of these thrusters located in the nose. There are two of them located on both the top and bottom of the nose for pitch control, and another pair are located on either side of the nose to produce the left and right yaw control.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/x15conf/design.html

This one is really fun if you fall off.

When (if) you land, MAKE SURE THE BLADES COME TO A COMPLETE STOP!:D

- - - Updated - - -

That is actually... pretty smart.

Until the enemy uses a slingshot to fire a pebble at you, and you comically fall out of the sky making deflating balloon noises.

Until the enemy uses a slingshot to fire a pebble at you, and you comically fall out of the sky making deflating balloon noises.

That's one (and I think the only) reason why the Inflatoplane project was canceled by the Army. They saw the obvious problem that it'd take just one bullet (Or a "well-aimed bow and arrow", as the Army put it) from the enemy and then the show would be over. The entire thing came, engine and all, in a 1 1/4 cu. Meter box, and was designed and built in 12 weeks, which is impressive considering what you get. Took only 5 minutes to blow up, you'd start the engine (that would force air into the plane to keep it blown up) and on 20 gallons of fuel you got 6.5 hours or 390 miles of range before it quit.

I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Especially for about a cubic yards worth of space, dead simple to store compared to conventional planes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.