How do I put three satellites on a rocket?

Today I've designed a satellite as a base for my network of three (for RemoteTech). The idea was to later build a big rocket with three slots where to place three copies of the satellite, and launch.

Now, trying to blend all things together I've having all sort of troubles.

For once, if I import (merge) the satellites into an existing rocket design, even if I prepare a slot for it (no matter if I use a decoupler, no matter the size, and no matter if I use a docking module), there is really no way to attach the imported satellite (or any piece for that matter) on the current rocket.

Other approaches failed as well. After a couple of hours trying finding a way to attach parts, I gave up. I know I'm not totally stupid (usually ^_^), so what's going on? What do I not get here?

Would you mind showing me some of your design where you had to solve a similar issue, or telling me where I'm likely doing it wrong?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

ps. I'm on Linux, KSP 1.0.2.

Yup. Go back to the satellite craft and set the root node to be the thing you want to attach it by. It needs to either have an open attachment node or to be "surface attachable"... ie something like a fuel tank that you can just attach radially.

It can take a bit of fiddling to get right sometimes.

You can only have one root part and when importing/merging something only the root part has slots. Usually this means you only have one attachment point (unless using something like those not-rockomax-cube-thingies). You also can't radially attach merged parts.

So if you want to stack the satellites imo the best way is to load up the satellite file, then change the name, e.g. to 3 sats, then Alt+Click parts of the sattelite to copy sections and stack those sections on top of each other (with decouplers; can't copy the root part). Also strut it up! Then change the root part to the attachment point with the rocket, save it and you're ready.

Example: http://imgur.com/4CQbPV1

The decoupler at the bottom is the root part.

Edited by rofltehcat

What I usually do: Always work in the big rocket. First don't build the big rocket itself, but just place a root part, and build sub-assemblies for each of the satellite below the big rocket root part. It would become really easy if you want multiple identical satellites for the same orbit - just by doing a symmetry. After sub-assemblies designed, I just start building the actual big rocket using those just-built sub-assemblies.

One example:

iFVkwRs.jpg

Whenever I do a multiple launch, It's usually the same satellite design. So, I start out by building the satellite as its own craft first to make sure it's going to have the desired results and performance. Then, I go and build a "space tug" with multiple attachment points to carry them to a particular target orbit, then build the satellites onto the tug. Dispersal is usually to carry them to the target orbit, then drop the PeA to a point that will evenly space the satellites out over the orbit. Then, the "tug" cuts loose the payload and heads down to Kerbin for either disposal or retrieval. I then use onboard engines to circularize the orbits, one satellite each time around.

I don't merge rockets. I create a big rocket and attach several copies of the same parts radially. See images as example with 4 attached satellites.

Image1, I attach 4 Modular Girder Segment and rotate them 90º using the key W. This allows me to later attach other stuff vertically

Image2, I attach 4 docking ports. I have to use the key W twice, as I have to rotate it 180º. Also, I had to rotate a bit the view in order to attach the docking ports.

Image3, I attach 4 more docking ports, this time without rotation

Image4, I begin attaching the other required parts, such as batteries and the actual probe.

Image5: the last picture is an example of my final rocket with 4 sats. If I need one of them, I just disconnect the node and that's all. I've used this configuration several times to land in different bodies: Mun + Minmus + Ike + Duna.

IMAGE1

4satellite-attachment00b.png

IMAGE2

4satellite-attachment01b.png

IMAGE3

4satellite-attachment02b.png

IMAGE4

4satellite-attachment03b.png

IMAGE5 (Final result)

4satellite-attachment.png

Hope it helps!

I just save the whole part (craft?) as a subassembly. First making sure the attachment node is right: attach two dummy parts to it (anything that can attach to that node really), then set them as root and pick out the whole thing except the two dummy parts, to save.

Thanks all.

I finally managed to attach all parts. In order to do so I had to flip the decoupler upside down (literally). Then it worked. It was that simple, but it doesn't make much of a sense either.

Also, I finally managed to create a template for the satellite, and to add it to the library or partials in the left panel. When I tried to select a different root part I failed to understand how to actually do it. So I went for a different approach. And in the end I preferred using the docking port than the decoupler.

Anyway, let's see if I can manage to publish few pictures of what I've achieved. The satellites are already in orbit, and that also was quite an interesting task. I parked the mothership in a temporary orbit that touched 700k at Apoapsis with 2/3 of the final desired orbital period. I then proceed to launch one satellite after the other, at any passage to the apoapsis. Each satellite did position itself using its own propulsion system. To do so I've used the flight assistant provided with RemoteTech. Quite brilliant tool, I'd say. You setup a node, and press exec on the panel. And voila! Love it.

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/ehW5k

1HlvWjn.jpg

Np6mzYl.jpg

coy3Ld0.jpg

Edited by carlorizzante

I build satellites that have a free node on top so that i can attach another satellite there. Alt+left (IIRC) click allows you to "pickup" a collection of parts so you can grab the entire sat as a copy, then stack it on top of the first one. Repeat as needed. - It may be neccesary to change the root part to make it possible to pickup the entire sat, sometimes VAB/SPH can be a bit silly.

In this example, the stack separator + satellite can be stacked indefinitely. Or as long as the fairing allows.

LGoU0lzm.png

Make your satellite and add a seperator to the top, make the engine the root part and save as a subassembly. Then build your rocket and add a seperator to the top. Add your satellites and remove the seperator on the top satellite. When I played with remote tech I would do that, or make the satellite with my rocket and just copy it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.