1.04 Patch if you unluckily decided to buy at GOG (or even 1.03 ?)

Sirad

Well...

i bought that game from GOG and they dont have the actual patch (and look like this game is rated c-class there, customer already paid money muahaha so dont loiter here, damn customer get off, its not worth updating to the actual patch, maybe in a few weeks if the big 'witcher cash-grab' is over) [you guess, im angry of course] But that was the 'translated' autoreply from 'service' i've got.

so, where to get the actual 1.04 patch for download ?

According to this, the patcher is borked and has been for some time.

Also from the same "official" post:

Good Old Games offers a 1.0.3 patch for the 1.0.1 Windows version of KSP.

Also note that while GoG still lists 1.0.2, the downloads themselves are 1.0.3

But I can't verify the GOG bit.

Running the launcher hasn't updated the game for a while. Note that 1.0.4 is a hotfix for an uncontrollable ship Kraken which only some users were experiencing, so you may not need it.

While GOG lists the DL as 1.0.2 it is apparently 1.0.3. So just redownload it from GOG.

I guess not. Sorry.

Edited by Jodo42

Running the launcher hasn't updated the game for a while. Note that 1.0.4 is a hotfix for an uncontrollable ship Kraken which only some users were experiencing, so you may not need it.

While GOG lists the DL as 1.0.2 it is apparently 1.0.3. So just redownload it from GOG.

Unfortunately that's not correct, its still 1.0.2 when you download it again.

GoG is evil. :mad: I did the same big mistake buying from them.

First game I've bought from GoG, and will be the last. Unless this issue is with Squad.

Considering the nature of the hotfix, you can't exactly blame GoG for not having been able to hang up the download for it so quickly.

You don't just snap your fingers and have releases available for download, it takes time.

Funny how steam managed to get both up right away. Gog doesn't even have .3

Edited by Torih

It's a bit absurd that the Patcher doesn't work anymore. We shouldn't have to continuously return to our point-of-purchase whenever we need to get an update. I bought it from the KSP store, and I'm not looking forward to downloading the full game again to update, when I should be able to get a simple patch.

Funny how steam managed to get it up right away.

Two completely different companies and platforms. I've never worked with GoG to know how they do it, but I did have the opportunity to release on Steam. The system on steam for patches is autonomous. Once you submit, at any time of day, it is processed and available for download automatically.

GoG might have a system that requires human oversight before a patch is released for download, thus it requires additional time to become available.

If you've ever worked with Apple, for instance, you would know what I'm talking about. Any release goes through their QA, which can take hours, a day, or even a week depending on how bogged down they are.

With GoG's commitment to quality and their new refund policy, I imagine they have at least a little bit of manual QA involved in the process.

Two completely different companies and platforms. I've never worked with GoG to know how they do it, but I did have the opportunity to release on Steam. The system on steam for patches is autonomous. Once you submit, at any time of day, it is processed and available for download automatically.

GoG might have a system that requires human oversight before a patch is released for download, thus it requires additional time to become available.

If you've ever worked with Apple, for instance, you would know what I'm talking about. Any release goes through their QA, which can take hours, a day, or even a week depending on how bogged down they are.

With GoG's commitment to quality and their new refund policy, I imagine they have at least a little bit of manual QA involved in the process.

and how exactly does GOG supposedly quality test a KSP patch?

It can have also advantages to be able to manually patch and not forced to. You can't start a Steam game before the actual patch isn't installed. I had already a few situations that made me hate Steam for this behavior.

You said you can't just get it up right away, I pointed out that steam managed it. The fact that they are two different companies/systems is completely irreverent to the point that you can get it up right away.

and how exactly does GOG supposedly quality test a KSP patch?

I don't know, like I said I haven't worked with GoG. But I can tell you how Apple does it, from observation. They don't QA your game, they QA it as a product - i.e, does it load on compatible systems and can the user play the game in the most basic definition of that term (i.e, load the first level, click a bunch of things, does it all work at least a little bit). I imagine Apple is a lot more strict with this than GoG would be. We've had an instance where a release got rejected because a blue-tooth connected keyboard was not recognized by the game for entering a character's name (on a mobile phone!).

GoG, I'm guessing again, probably doesn't go so far with the process, but if the game is said to be compatible with Win XP/7/8.1 and Linux and OSX, then it must be tested on all those platforms. I imagine a large part of that process is automated to a degree, but still requires some human oversight.

It can have also advantages to be able to manually patch and not forced to. You can't start a Steam game before the actual patch isn't installed. I had already a few situations that made me hate Steam for this behavior.

Yeah, that's my number one reason I hate steam, and why I usually prefer to purchase games anywhere else when possible. That and that by default all downloaded games are set to "automatically update" and there is no global setting to change this, you have to change it individually for each game.

As if bandwidth grows on trees!

You said you can't just get it up right away, I pointed out that steam managed it. The fact that they are two different companies/systems is completely irreverent to the point that you can get it up right away.

Well gosh dang it! KSPExpress uses rockets to deliver packages, but KSPMail does so by rover or airplane. It's completely irrelevant that these are two different companies with two different methods of delivery, my package from KSPMail should have been here this morning!

All of this is to say you're being rather unreasonable in your expectations. Even steam's update is not available immediately as soon as submitted. It just so happens the patch was announced when it was ready for download from steam and KSPStore, but not yet from GoG.com. I understand the feeling of frustration, I've been in the same situations, but why are you getting so worked up over it?

First game I've bought from GoG, and will be the last. Unless this issue is with Squad.
The broken patcher is Squad's fault. GoG being slower in making 1.0.4 available might be down to them, Squad, or both. Keep in mind that how quickly an update or patch is available is only one of many things to consider when deciding where to buy your games from.

Well gosh dang it! KSPExpress uses rockets to deliver packages, but KSPMail does so by rover or airplane. It's completely irrelevant that these are two different companies with two different methods of delivery, my package from KSPMail should have been here this morning!

All of this is to say you're being rather unreasonable in your expectations. Even steam's update is not available immediately as soon as submitted. It just so happens the patch was announced when it was ready for download from steam and KSPStore, but not yet from GoG.com. I understand the feeling of frustration, I've been in the same situations, but why are you getting so worked up over it?

Lol seriously, I said that one company can get the update done quickly since you said it was not reasonable. Whats hard to understand about that.

You don't want the 1.04 update either. I don't know what going on at Squad, but this game went from great fun "Game" to a very horrible badly thought out SIM the ain't cutting it. SQUAD, GET BACK TO KERBALS and forget the REAL WORLD PHYSICS

You don't want the 1.04 update either. I don't know what going on at Squad, but this game went from great fun "Game" to a very horrible badly thought out SIM the ain't cutting it. SQUAD, GET BACK TO KERBALS and forget the REAL WORLD PHYSICS

real world physics people have been screaming to get very loudly for years...

There is little in KSP that even approaches a simulation of the real world. It's certainly true that the new changes require a small change in playstyle, but what got you so upset about the patch? Maybe we can help out?

The Patch is delayed because Squad messed up their own patching system. Wow... that's a new low. Downloading a few files from a server... that's like rocket science! And I am pretty sure no one has come up with a working solution for that task so far, that they just could have used for the game.

I don't know that anyone outside of GoG can answer those sorts of questions. We can only speculate, but it seems clear that GoG's update process is slower than Steam's or the KSP Store's.

It is, yes. Usually it takes them at least a day to implement any recent updates. It's even more chaotic when a game gets a rapid-fire update like KSP just did, and sometimes they'll "skip" an update (in this case that would mean going straight to 1.0.4). A big part of why is their custom installer program that they append to every game. Honestly I don't mind it so much, but then, most of the games I have through GoG are decidedly retro.