1.03/1.04 Reactions

foxkill2342

Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1.03/1.04 an overall improvement?

• Yes, the game is complete and perfect finally!
    • Yes, it fixed the problems in 1.02. Still more work to be done.
    • It didn't fix everything, there is still a lot of work to be done.
    • It fixed a few bugs, but 1.02 was better.
    • It completely ruined the game.

That's why you have testers. That's why you have test automation. That's also why you have to manage risks in actual SW development and can't deploy new features whenever you feel like it.

if you actually were a professional SW developer you wouldn't argue against those simple facts. That is professional SW development 101.

Spoken like a person that has never coded in their life.

Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

wrong and wrong

look, maybe it's just a matter of limits of your imagination

example: now radiators are needed or stuff will explode, but orbital stations do not have radiators and cannot be easily retrofitted with them

so, if you're a good developer and you notice this problem (again, let's be realistic, nothing of that sort of introspection happened here), you do something like the following

write simple checkup program that looks in each save file for vehicles in orbit/landed etc that do not have radiators, give a prompt to the user asking him whether to update the craft or stop the updating process(!), then just add the radiators anywhere. simple sanity check after that, done

get it?

of course that requires the developer to first know what exactly his update will do, what it will break and why

which again brings us to the topic that we're being treated like testers, rather than customers who paid for a "full release" in which something like this(description in a post above) never should happen

Edited by SoWeMeetAgain

I thought this was a poll thread, where people can express an opinion and move on, then later come back to see what the general consensus is. We already have two or three other 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 feedback threads, for extended discussions.

I have been busy with work the last few days. My reaction: What the dogs is squad doing? Four patches and this is still happening. Really? Is it that hard? I'm no indi developer, I'm not the Tony Stark of coding, but having a feature NOT DISPLAY when not called for should not be this difficult.

FYf9SDRl.png

See the rectangle? See that overlay that is still turned on by default? How the heck would something so basic get by the legions of dedicated and professional playtesters that Squad claims to have at their beck and call.

Thank dogs we have a group of modders willing to put their time and effort into fixing these bugs. That crutch won't last forever. I fear that day is coming.

Edited by Sandworm

The thermal overlay was born out of complaints in 1.0 that pods were exploding on reentry without warning. Unfortunately, a memory leak gave the feature a bad rep. With that fixed, the initial problem still stands. The game should warn players of impending heat problems, by default, so players have a chance to do something before explosion.

Spoken like a person that has never coded in their life. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

Spoken like someone who never heard about quality assurance in their life.

We all understand things may slip through the cracks, however companies typically* use QA to avoid problems and mistakes when delivering products, solutions and/or services to their customers. As a paying customer for a "finished" product I may expect a certain level of quality of said product and a company should take the necessary steps to assure that quality as Nigeth and SoWeMeetAgain have pointed out above.

If you still don't get the point I suggest you purchase one of the 800.000, 28 million "special edition" GM vehicles and give the airbags and ignition switches a thorough test.

*if motivated to keep their customers and business

Edited by Yakuzi
turns out GM produced more dodgy stuff than I originally thought

Happy and a bit... well im not sure if I like it or not..

major problem would be brakes arnt fixed, theres a mod for that I use... but it'd be nice to be stock.. nothing worse than trying to stop a 82 ton 8 car train and having no brakes even at low speed.. my maiden journey around KSC and back into the yard resulted in a locomotive hitting a building and her front bogeys wedged in a staircase..

the issue im not sure of.. they seemed to have fixed docking ports.. in that they dont drift anymore but lock firmly in properly..

previously anything larger than a 4 car train would induce a fatal oscillation in the rear most wagon that'd effect the train at anything above 20+

now im building 8 to 10 car trains that dont drift at all.. with the train tracking the locomotives path perfectly..

its nice.. but I depended a little on the docking port flex and drift.. now the train seems a little rigid.. still turns fine.. but wont bend as much without additional parts

I gather it'd be better for spacecraft though..

Radiators look good on the side of locomotives.. so.. dunno how they work in space.. but they look good painted black too :) so thats a plus for me

they dont exactly make a good wheel gaurd though.. as they explode horribly if hit

Spoken like someone who never heard about quality assurance in their life.

We all understand things may slip through the cracks, however companies typically* use QA to avoid problems and mistakes when delivering products, solutions and/or services to their customers. As a paying customer for a "finished" product I may expect a certain level of quality of said product and a company should take the necessary steps to assure that quality as Nigeth and SoWeMeetAgain have pointed out above.

If you still don't get the point I suggest you purchase one of the 800.000, 28 million "special edition" GM vehicles and give the airbags and ignition switches a thorough test.

*if motivated to keep their customers and business

While public bugtesting is an absolutely atrocious idea, balancing is one of those things that should be thrown to the people. There's just not enough of a sample size in QA to know how good the aero/heat would be.

Also TIL: Invisible bugs means lack of QA.

Considering I lost my in progress missions, I can't jump on the Bunnies and Rainbows wagon right now.

My first manned attempt to land on Duna was on the way there before the patch. After it patched, I fired it up and noticed some graphical issues. Then clicked on my spacecraft and noticed more issue. So exited (no save) and restarted. When I got back in-game, my mission was just gone. Didn't even exist.

I only recently started using mods (and only 2), and if this is going to be the result every time the game is patched, then I may need to rethink that idea. But in the meantime, I haven't exactly felt the desire to dive back in.

And then there's this. How true?... you tell me.

I'm not about to knock Squad or its developers and testers, but KSP was the first, and will be the last, beta-game I'll ever buy into. I'll just leave it at "I'm disappointed".

I know what you're talking about.

With every new patch some mods won't work, that's for sure, making a long term game impossible. I can remember that someone said that after 1.00 mods wouldn't be affected by new patches anymore...

It's just annoying that you can't play the game for a longer time and to be honest, i don't care about some little changes being made with every new patch, as long as they break my current game.

Don't get me wrong i'm not against fixing issues and new stuff being added, but making previous games unplayable is just not acceptable.

WHo could say it is better than 1.02? It is not so much that their are more issues but that the issues introduced are very serious, more serious than the ones it fixed. I just scratching my head on this one.

Checked it: Generally feels like an improvement, reentry heating still doesn't creat much need for heatshields, but planes have a very nice multi-mach corridor between 18 and 26km while generally feeling nice to fly.

The thermal overlay was born out of complaints in 1.0 that pods were exploding on reentry without warning. Unfortunately, a memory leak gave the feature a bad rep. With that fixed, the initial problem still stands. The game should warn players of impending heat problems, by default, so players have a chance to do something before explosion.

Yeah, not seeing the point here either. Those bars turn up when a part approaches dangerous heat levels, if anything, they are actually a bit to slow for more extreme cases (like wonderful low level ramjet flight :D ).

Edited by Temeter

Hi all

I have voted the Game is complete, in my personal opinion its on the same level like other highend PC products, aka ARMA series, Flight Simulator X, Morrowind

That is putting the bar rather low though.

Imo the fact that games with that many bugs on release can be highend titles is more a critique of the games industry than a compliment to KSP.

It fixed some bugs but introduced others... The targeting reticules in the navglobe sometimes jitter so badly that they are unusable since the 1.04 update. has anyone else encountered this problem?

I love that cause my mk3 planes kept falling apart all the time. I stopped using mk3 for this reason. Now maybe more test builds cause I love sstos.

- - - Updated - - -

To peeve a bit - is it that terribly difficult to include the second dot in the version number...?

Are you THE novasilsko, the former developer who wants my most desired feature:gas planet 2

- - - Updated - - -

As for the crashes on my extremely sh***ty computer I have had only one crash which was when I fired engines into the air

Playing 1.02 is a wreck, and it doesn't sound like 1.03/4 are any better (I didn't vote in the poll). What is sad is all the Squad fanboys who, no matter the game issue, act like everything is on track. Squad needs to refocus on this game, not console ports, conventions, merchandising, education, and 101 other things. Without the core game, and core players like myself (four years and counting) there is no KSP.

Squad should polish 1.0 to the level of any other professionally made piece of software, and then begin producing DLC/expansions that incorporate, expand, and polish the best mods in the community. I would gladly sink $40+ a year into various expansions for this game, but I can't justify it if I'm pounding my head against the keyboard dealing with memory leaks, random crashes, glitchy part behavior, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are the cargo bays making things explode!

That's my reaction.

Because nobody tests anything.

Keeping things stable on the way up is now much more difficult than 1.0.2.

Slowing down enough on re-entry (even from low Kerbin orbits) is much more difficult.

Seriously, go play around with some very early career designs...

For the most part I like that, but I'm not sure newcomers will.

1.0.2 problems are now fixed, I love how this atmosphere works, but I still say we need more Size3 parts, and size2 rapiers, and Mk3 cargo bays that slide open, I'm sick of seeing the current stock bay doors get clipped on other parts when they open.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.