Heat generating parts

We now have radiators, which is cool. But I can't find any heat generating parts in stock 1.0.4 except the engines.

Does this mean that the LVN is the only practical heat generator in the game that you might need radiators for? Are we going to see the ISRU generating heat again?

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

We now have radiators, which is cool.

I see what you did there...

Have to agree with regex on this one. Heating was an interesting problem to solve in 1.0.2, we just didn't have dedicated parts to solve it. Now we have the parts and not much of a problem to solve with them.

Also, I should point out that engines aren't the only heat source in game. The sun adds heat to vessels, and it can become a real concern when visiting the inner planets.

"Here's some radiators. Also, we tuned down the heat to make things easy-mode so you don't need those radiators. Enjoy your useless parts."

...but Ted said they were "something rather brilliant", so obviously we're just missing something.

Squad just needs to give use some useful parts that need radiators: Bimodal Nuclear Thermal Rocket engines (which can be used to generate electricity when not being used for thrust); and a compact nuclear reactor that can be used to power deep space operations.

"Here's some radiators. Also, we tuned down the heat to make things easy-mode so you don't need those radiators. Enjoy your useless parts."

Funny. Was streaming over the weekend and ended up using radiators in their various flavors on pretty much every launch.

Currently engine heat is the one relevant mechanic, but I personally like the idea that it buys options, for both squad and for modders.

Funny. Was streaming over the weekend and ended up using radiators in their various flavors on pretty much every launch.

Currently engine heat is the one relevant mechanic, but I personally like the idea that it buys options, for both squad and for modders.

I also like the possibilities this opens.

Despite my snarky-ness, I look forward to the possibilities.

I'd like to see more parts generating heat, especially the sort of parts you'd find on a base or station. Things like the Scanner, ISRU, even the lab should be creating heat which needs to be managed. For mods, I'd like to see resource converters and life support system generating heat.

Currently the Universal Storage processors generate heat, but without some stock examples or documentation it's hard to balance this in the game. I mean I know how many joules of heat my processors create because they are based on real life equipment. But I've no idea how that translates into the KSP numbers.

I think all parts that consume electric charge (And RTGs) should produce heat.

Crew capsules could maybe also produce a bit of heat.

(Probably not much)

It could be interesting if probe cores used more electricity and produced more heat if they are in low-temperature environment, to avoid "freezing" (it would never actually damage the core, just use a bit more power.)

This would allow some possibilities for new planets that are actually different from the existing ones.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.