SpaceX Falcon rocket family replicas (UPDATED: Falcon Heavy)

Since this is a forum of space nuts, we've all probably heard about the latest Falcon 9 launch springing a leak. Regardless, I felt somehow inspired to create my own replica. This was designed to be as close to its real-life counterpart as possible- nine-engine main stage with thrust vectoring engines, 3.75m diameter, which is the closest you could get to the real thing's 5m diameter, one engine second stage, even got the 13.150 long ton payload bit, too. The only deviations are the lack of recoverable stages, and I kind of had to make the landing leg lookalikes into fins because there were some serious stability issues under nuStock.

I'm willing to bet that with their supplied payloads, both rockets could easily be pressed into service in a Realism Overhaul game. (After actually playing Realism Overhaul, I recognize how flawed this logic is... the Skippers don't even exist in RO, but the real-life Merlin family does... I'm going to go try and make a Falcon 9 in RO now.)

sR8aF7n.png

Illustrated is the Falcon 9 with payload fairing. While this version has a 13 ton payload capacity, I suspect you can pile a bit more on it because it gets into orbit with 7/8 of the second stage's fuel left. And that's not mentioning the payload's own fuel, which in this instance was designed to be a normal-looking ISS service module.

CRd4JJ7.png

This version features a Falcon 9 with the CrewDragon service module and crew transfer vehicle. (No launch abort system, though...) Highest part count, but it's barely over a hundred parts. Also has a surplus of fuel in orbit.

Fy4iRjC.png

Here's the CrewDragon and DragonTrunk in flight. The DragonTrunk doesn't exactly fit together, but hey, it's supposed to be unpressurized...

TqYDsPM.png

This is the proposed Falcon Heavy, which is basically just three Falcon 9s strapped together. (Yup. 27 first stage engines.) This thing acts a little... funny with MechJeb autopilot, but it acts equally odd when I tried piloting it by hand. Eh, well, it gets to orbit, just don't mind the LFBs overstaying their welcome. And that's just the booster nosecones exploding, the core stage is fine. (This version has yet more Seperatrons than the one I last tested, though, so it might actually not explode. Still crossfeeds funny, though.)

Speaking of payload:

t4u2zrV.png

Launches the core of a 'Waypoint" class space station, with many, many docking ports on which to attach... things. (Gross weight in orbit: "more than" 53 tons, as per the specifications.) That second stage has about half its fuel left. (I might do something more "Muskian" for the payload later, like little Duna IRSU landers to pave the way for an eventual colony.)

Next up: the Falcon One, SpaceX's first rocket.

bvv7izt.png

Featuring one "Merlin" (LVT-45, a Skipper would have lifted too much payload) and one "Kestrel" (LV-909), this little dynamo can lift up to several hundred kilograms into orbit.

2lX0xOV.png

Requisite light payload of a fake RemoteTech communications sat. Note that there was not enough weight allowance to fit a reaction wheel, so use in an actual RemoteTech game is not advised!

IRL, maximum range was LEO, but this thing could probably boot a satellite this size into full keostationary orbit or even a munar orbit, given how much delta-V the second stage has left. Notably, this makes an excellent early-career light-lifter, once you fit your own low-tech payload.

Download all four crafts here!

(Update: Now they're all actually stock. You'll still need MechJeb, but that's close enough.)

Edited by Kagame

Pretty cool! And you know, the more, the merrier, plus my old one was made for 0.90 and I have no idea how it would perform in the new version (I have it tucked away in an old craft repository post, even). I have a feeling the reentries I did with the core, trusting in the souposphere to slow me down are kind of out of the question these days...

Rune. Out of the question as in, suicidal.

Since this is a forum of space nuts, we've all probably heard about the latest Falcon 9 launch springing a leak. Regardless, I felt somehow inspired to create my own replica. This was designed to be as close to its real-life counterpart as possible- nine-engine main stage with thrust vectoring engines, 3.75m diameter, which is the closest you could get to the real thing's 5m diameter, one engine second stage, even got the 13.150 long ton payload bit, too. The only deviations are the lack of recoverable stages, and I kind of had to make the landing leg lookalikes into fins because there were some serious stability issues under nuStock.

I'm willing to bet that with their supplied payloads, both rockets could easily be pressed into service in a Realism Overhaul game.

http://i.imgur.com/sR8aF7n.png

Illustrated is the Falcon 9 with payload fairing. While this version has a 13 ton payload capacity, I suspect you can pile a bit more on it because it gets into orbit with 7/8 of the second stage's fuel left. And that's not mentioning the payload's own fuel, which in this instance was designed to be a normal-looking ISS service module.

http://i.imgur.com/CRd4JJ7.png

This version features a Falcon 9 with the CrewDragon service module and crew transfer vehicle. (No launch abort system, though...) Highest part count, but it's barely over a hundred parts. Also has a surplus of fuel in orbit.

Download both crafts here!

More possibly forthcoming. (e. g., Falcon One and Falcon Heavy.)

I know this isn't exactly new, as Rune did his own version, but I just had to have my own, well-researched, whack at it.

Mate its the biggest Space-x rocket Ive seen here, and Rune was by no means the first to do this so don't sweat that one bit. Any builder worth his salt has made a space-x.

Any chance of a flight video?

Edited by Majorjim
seemed rude

Mate its the biggest Space-x rocket Ive seen here, and Rune was by no means the first to do this so don't sweat that one bit. Any builder worth his salt has made a space-x.

Maybe I should put a disclaimer on R-SUV: "probably not the first at anything" :rolleyes:. Still, I think he meant mine is the one he saw and remembered. ;)

Rune. And if we go by mass/part count as a merit figure... :P

Maybe I should put a disclaimer on R-SUV: "probably not the first at anything" :rolleyes:. Still, I think he meant mine is the one he saw and remembered. ;)

Rune. And if we go by mass/part count as a merit figure... :P

He's a new member so he wont of seen any of the ones made before most likely. I was just correcting him.

No need to read more into it Rune, I didn't mean anything by it. Thanks.

Edited by Majorjim

Awesome craft!

I feel compelled to post this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115318-Full-size-Falcon-9-Dragon-V2?p=1831653#post1831653

Columbia: *blushes* You were always my favorite space shuttle. Thanks!

Space.exe: Yeah, rockets are BIG. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big they are. I mean, you might think a semi truck is big, but that's peanuts compared to rockets.

(apologies to one D. Adams)

Majorjim: Yup, I makes 'em as close to real-life diameter that I can. Glad to know I'm worth salt now! XD

Mad Rocket Scientist: Daaaang. Your CrewDragon kicks mine into the curb as far as functionality goes. The teeny little OMS thrusters on mine would have you in a hole in a hurry if you tried doing a soft landing on Kerbin... Also, thanks!

Rune: Yup, I was inspired by your Falcon 9 in the first place. Also, *angel noises* HE HATH SPAKE TO ME! xD

Zucal: Woops, how did I not do that. Added a picture to the OP. Thanks!

(Updated with new content: Falcon Heavy)

Rune: Yup, I was inspired by your Falcon 9 in the first place. Also, *angel noises* HE HATH SPAKE TO ME! xD

Anytime, dude! I'm, just a guys that has played this game for quite a long time...

Rune. And maybe has some advantage, having studied this stuff on uni.

Updated with fix'd DL links and the new Falcon One.

*goes to look for Raptor concept art*

Nicely done. There are module manager patches to enable Mechjeb without needing to place the part on the rocket. They're handy for posting "stock" rockets. Search for "Mechjeb and engineer for all".

As for the rocket, it looks great. The bottom of the rocket where it flares out (whatever you call it) looks like any Falcon 9 I've seen. I did have to put some struts connecting the second stage to the first stage (inside the interstage fairing) otherwise the top of the rocket wobbled too much during ascent. Maybe you use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement or something to keep this from happening?

The Falcon 9 was able to put my 9.8t deep space probe into a 100x100km orbit with something like 3.6km/s dV in the second stage left. I ejected the top fairing at about 70km which added about 300m/s or it'd be closer to 3.3km/s.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.