[1.0.5] Kerbal Planetary Base Systems v1.0.2 Released!

Nils277

I can upload an example ship sometime soon. What problem to you have?

It's not necessary a problem, but I can"t get a side-by-side deployment as shown in your imager example ship. It's very clean and a better option then sending 4 ships. but I cant get it to work when toying in VAB.

Thanks,

Hippieheadshot

Hey nils, I've got a few suggestions.

To fit in with mods like Keepfit and kabinkraziness, I suggest adding a fun&health facility. The facility has some gym equipment and a room where the crew can come together to view kerbalkup under the enjoyment of snacks or something like that. Important things are not necessary fun, but fun things are certainly important.

Secondly, add colonist kerals and colonisation contracts. I imagine colonist kerbals to be tweaked touist kerbals that have more capabilities (such as going on EVA and other necessary base operating stuff) yet do not cost increasingly more as you get more colonists (as would be the case when you would hire kerbonauts to be colonists).

Secondly, add colonist kerals and colonisation contracts. I imagine colonist kerbals to be tweaked touist kerbals that have more capabilities (such as going on EVA and other necessary base operating stuff) yet do not cost increasingly more as you get more colonists (as would be the case when you would hire kerbonauts to be colonists).

Niko - If you're interested in pursuing a well designed and heavily oriented colonist mod, take a look at Civilian Population. This handles colonization and tourism far better than small base implementation mods do as it's meant to provide an arena to develop full fledged colonies of literally hundreds of kerbals.

Niko - If you're interested in pursuing a well designed and heavily oriented colonist mod, take a look at Civilian Population. This handles colonization and tourism far better than small base implementation mods do as it's meant to provide an arena to develop full fledged colonies of literally hundreds of kerbals.

I've considered that an option too. However the way that mod handles things is... well everything is a bit invisible and complex. The kerbals in that are not "real" as is the case with tourist kerbals. They are just numbers, basicly.

My suggestion was as simple as I put it. Tweaked tourist kerbals that can be existent in parts with crew capacity to be colonists in place of increasingly more expensive kerbonauts. Not just a population to be there, but if I bring in a Big Base to ...what shall we say.. moho, then I want to crew that base with kerbals I can see and interact with. It would also allow me to play with whatever life support system I want, if any. To put it short, I am not interested in a heavily oriented colonist mod.

So that is why I put up suggestion.

Edited by nikokespprfan

I've considered that an option too. However the way that mod handles things is... well everything is a bit invisible and complex. The kerbals in that are not "real" as is the case with tourist kerbals. They are just numbers, basicly.

My suggestion was as simple as I put it. Tweaked tourist kerbals that can be existent in parts with crew capacity to be colonists in place of increasingly more expensive kerbonauts. Not just a population to be there, but if I bring in a Big Base to ...what shall we say.. moho, then I want to crew that base with kerbals I can see and interact with. It would also allow me to play with whatever life support system I want, if any. To put it short, I am not interested in a heavily oriented colonist mod.

So that is why I put up suggestion.

I see where you're going with this now and that could be interesting. I wonder if there's anything hiding behind the tourist logic that could get a tourist to become permanent...

I've been recently toying with the idea of making a 'Colonist' class of Kerbal, which has an experience progression along the lines of:

0-star: Tourist

1-star: Not Tourist (For purposes of being able to crew greenhouses, etc)

2-star: EVA

3-star: Drive vehicles

4-star: Fix wheels (While they'll never be an engineer, fixing a wheel seems useful for frontiersmen ;) )

You'd get more Kerbal Colonists by accepting contracts; they'd be their own mission reward much like a 'rescued' kerbal is. (They do still join you once rescued, right? It's been a while since I've played career.)

Preferably with efficiency bonuses for working in greenhouses much as Engineers grant mining rigs.

This would be a seperate mod from this one, but I've no idea if you actually can design individual classes. If anyone is keen to help out, I'll start a new thread so we don't distract from this one... :D

To fit in with mods like Keepfit and kabinkraziness, I suggest adding a fun&health facility. The facility has some gym equipment and a room where the crew can come together to view kerbalkup under the enjoyment of snacks or something like that.

I'd second a gym idea. We know that fitness is some form of requirement for kerbalnauts from the Squad release videos. IVA could be a kerbal sitting on a treadmill if you cant animate a run :).

I'd still be keen as well for transparent windows so we can see in from outside the base. I'd be interested in Nils277's thoughts on that!

Peace.

A little bit off topic.

I love these base components. They look great and work or will work with USI-LS. The only thin I'm missing is something for orbital station. I know these can be used for it but would like something more dedicated. Does anyone have any suggestions for other mods?

I did had MKS/OKS but I didn't like how much it complicated things.

A little bit off topic.

I love these base components. They look great and work or will work with USI-LS. The only thin I'm missing is something for orbital station. I know these can be used for it but would like something more dedicated. Does anyone have any suggestions for other mods?

Personally I use Nertea's Near Future Construction and Stockalike Station Parts. These add a solid selection of habs, structural elements, girders, adapters and docking ports. You get the side benefit from NF Construction of having pieces that are highly adaptable to craft uses as well. This is a solid implementation that looks great and is very flexible without devouring a lot resources. If you already run other NF mods or Cryogenic Engines from Nertea then these will mesh right in with that entire setup.

For some other options...

Porkjet's Habitat for a smaller selection of parts that are inflatable but provide the needs of station construction fairly well

Lack's Lackluster Labs (Space Boxes!) is a very large implementation of parts equally useful for stations and craft...it's a beast but a lot of fun

FusTek Station Parts continued by sumghai - it's a WIP you could help test...it has some amazing looking parts all geared towards station building just remember it's still in devlopment

Hope this helps!

Hey nils, I've got a few suggestions.

To fit in with mods like Keepfit and kabinkraziness, I suggest adding a fun&health facility. The facility has some gym equipment and a room where the crew can come together to view kerbalkup under the enjoyment of snacks or something like that. Important things are not necessary fun, but fun things are certainly important.

Unfortunately i haven't heard of these two mods before, but i look into them, they seem to fit well with the mod. I had thought about common room with gym and an area to play board- or cardgames in the past, but skipped it because it would have been only a room with no purpose than to be another Kerbal "storage". With these mods, it would have a purpose. We'll see :wink:

I've been recently toying with the idea of making a 'Colonist' class of Kerbal, which has an experience progression along the lines of:

0-star: Tourist

1-star: Not Tourist (For purposes of being able to crew greenhouses, etc)

2-star: EVA

3-star: Drive vehicles

4-star: Fix wheels (While they'll never be an engineer, fixing a wheel seems useful for frontiersmen :wink: )

You'd get more Kerbal Colonists by accepting contracts; they'd be their own mission reward much like a 'rescued' kerbal is. (They do still join you once rescued, right? It's been a while since I've played career.)

Preferably with efficiency bonuses for working in greenhouses much as Engineers grant mining rigs.

This would be a seperate mod from this one, but I've no idea if you actually can design individual classes. If anyone is keen to help out, I'll start a new thread so we don't distract from this one... :D

The colonist as its own class of Kerbals would be a brilliant idea. But i'd rather call them "civilians" than "colonists" :wink:. They could also gain experience by staying in the stations/bases for a prolonged time. E.g. one experience per Week, Month or Year.

I'd still be keen as well for transparent windows so we can see in from outside the base. I'd be interested in Nils277's thoughts on that!

I know this was requested before. For now the they will stay as they were. Maybe at the time i add RPM to the supported mods. I somewhere (in this thread?) read that RPM allows easier implementation of transparent windows.

A little bit off topic.

I did had MKS/OKS but I didn't like how much it complicated things.

The mod will have at least two modular storages for the Size2 profile (for 4 and 8 containers) so you can at least use them in your orbital stations. You might notice that the curvature of the containers does not fit 100% with the modular storage for the planetary bases. This is due to to fact, that they are designed to also allow a modular storage for Size2 :wink:

I've been looking through the official mod list for other mods that fit in with this one, and I found the deepfreeze mod under the life support tab. It aims to freeze kerbals so they do not consume food etc.

So the suggestion came to my mind to make a freezing module to allow compatability for this life support mod. For this you would also need a glykerol container (glykerol is the anti-freeze stuff, you need it to freeze kerbals) as well as a way to make it (ore -> glykerol).

Another mod that fits in with this is OSE workshop, a mod that lets you build parts that you can place on your ship using KIS/KAS.

this is what I've found so far.

Edited by nikokespprfan

So the suggestion came to my mind to make a freezing module to allow compatability for this life support mod. For this you would also need a glykerol container (glykerol is the anti-freeze stuff, you need it to freeze kerbals) as well as a way to make it (ore -> glykerol).

Another mod that fits in with this is OSE workshop, a mod that lets you build parts that you can place on your ship using KIS/KAS.

this is what I've found so far.

Hmm...i have to think about adding them...there are already a lot of other mods to add support for. I will still put them on the list of potential extensions.

Question:

Do you want the Converters for TAC to be more like the original ones from TAC or more like the ones from Universal Storage?

The reason is ask: Some of the reactions used for the recyclers in TAC are just wrong:

Bosch Reaction in the Carbon Extractor:

• TAC: CO2 → O2 + Waste
  • Reality: CO2 + 2H2 → C(Waste) + 2H2O

Also the Sabatier:

• TAC: H2O + CO2 → O2 + Waste
  • Reality: CO2 + 4 H2 → CH4(Waste)+ 2 H2O + EC

The main reason that TAC does what it does with the reactions is to control resource inputs and waste output. Since most people don't play with H2 much less CH4 storage containers there is nowhere for it to go except into waste if you're trying to retain realism. Additionally, since there isn't anywhere to store the H2 inputs for the Bosch reaction it makes it necessary to simplify the reaction. The sabatier/carbon extractor already produces waste as a byproduct anyway but does so in a way to keep the TAC system from being overwhelmed by waste output since you have nothing else to do with it. While realism is nice, unless you're specifically trying to gear this mod towards being an RO specific mod I'd stay away from the super detailed reaction chains to gain usability over realism. Making TAC complicated to use and close the loops is one thing, to get to realism levels for reaction chains is something else entirely.

My general assumption is that you'd follow the TAC reactions for TAC, right?

Or does Universal Storage change up the TAC formulas?

US uses other formulas. It has Hydrogen as another Resource as a byproduct:

WaterSplitter (Elektron)

Water → Hydrogen + Oxygen

FuelCell

Hydrogen + Oxygen → Water + EC

Sabatier

CO
+ Hydrogen → Liquid Fuel + Water

The main reason that TAC does what it does with the reactions is to control resource inputs and waste output. Since most people don't play with H2 much less CH4 storage containers there is nowhere for it to go except into waste if you're trying to retain realism. Additionally, since there isn't anywhere to store the H2 inputs for the Bosch reaction it makes it necessary to simplify the reaction. The sabatier/carbon extractor already produces waste as a byproduct anyway but does so in a way to keep the TAC system from being overwhelmed by waste output since you have nothing else to do with it. While realism is nice, unless you're specifically trying to gear this mod towards being an RO specific mod I'd stay away from the super detailed reaction chains to gain usability over realism. Making TAC complicated to use and close the loops is one thing, to get to realism levels for reaction chains is something else entirely.

Oh sorry, i should have been more precise to explain what i meant :wink:

I don't want to add multiple other resources to make this all more complicated.

I wanted to say that TAC uses these two reactions to produce Oxygen from CO2 (and Water) but the real reactions use CO2 and another resource to produce Water.

Also there are four recyclers to produce Oxygen (WaterSpiltter, Sabatier, CarbonExtractor and Air-Filter) and only one for Water(Water Purifier)

So my suggenstion for this would be:

Elektron (Water-Splitter):

Water → Oxygen + Waste

Carbon-Extractor:

CO
→ Waste + Oxygen

Greenhouse:

Water + CO2 + Waste + [?] → Oxygen + Food

Sabatier:

​
CO2 + [Liquid Fuel?] → Waste + Water

Air Filter:

Intake Air → Oxygen

WaterPurifier:

WasteWater → Waste + Water

So the greenhouse would somewhat replace the original TAC sabatier to produce oxygen from CO2 and water. The sabatier would be another way to generate water.

Still i also like the way US does this.

Edited by Nils277

Oh sorry, i should have been more precise to explain what i meant :wink:

I don't want to add multiple other resources to make this all more complicated.

I wanted to say that TAC uses these two reactions to produce Oxygen from CO2 (and Water) but the real reactions use CO2 and another resource to produce Water.

Also there are four recyclers to produce Oxygen (WaterSpiltter, Sabatier, CarbonExtractor and Air-Filter) and only one for Water(Water Purifier)

So my suggenstion for this would be:

Elektron (Water-Splitter):

Water → Oxygen + Waste

Carbon-Extractor:

CO
→ Waste + Oxygen

Greenhouse:

Water + CO2 + Waste + [?] → Oxygen + Food

Sabatier:

​
CO2 + [Liquid Fuel?] → Waste + Water

Air Filter:

Intake Air → Oxygen

WaterPurifier:

WasteWater → Waste + Water

So the greenhouse would somewhat replace the original TAC sabatier to produce oxygen from CO2 and water. The sabatier would be another way to generate water.

Still i also like the way US does this.

AH HA! I see where you going with this now and and getting the recycling action more accurate is a good idea. The only thing I could see causing any issue is balancing it all against each other. It needs to be able to make the Elektron/Carbon Extractor balance properly against the CO2 needs of the Greenhouse and the same applies for the Purifier/Sabatier for Water. Then, once you get that balance done is there going to be a need to have two processes to obtain Oxygen and Water? Don't get me wrong, I like the flexibility to decide how to setup the system (like being someplace water is readily available and using Elektron over the Extractor). But, it would be easier on you if you developed a streamlined process so you only have to balance the needs of input/output against each other. In other words, a single process each to get Oxygen/Water/Food is far simpler to setup no matter how you do it.

...But it would be neat to have that flexibility :D INDECISION!

great mod,ever think about some inflatable parts?

I think that would be great,just need some oxygen when inflating,and saving tons of fuel to get to the destination~

great mod,ever think about some inflatable parts?

I think that would be great,just need some oxygen when inflating,and saving tons of fuel to get to the destination~

NOOOO! that's what makes this mod great, its not like every other base mod that relies on inflatable parts.